Post a cool tip you know about!

Started by Limdood, February 09, 2017, 11:55:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpaceDorf

A Modding Installation Tip :

Deactivated Mods get sorted by the Name of the Modfolder, so if you want some mods to be always first in the list of shown mods ( Hugslib and ModListBackup for Example ) rename the Modfolder to something like this   " A17aaaHugslib "
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Psithen

Ship chunks falling hard to find on a large map? Once you locate them put a no roof zone over them that way when you are ready to go deconstruct them you can easily locate them

Keeping events like fallen cryptosleep pods and ancient danger up without clicking them let's you easily locate them when you're prepared

Careful shooter early on seems nice but a trained and bionic trigger happy pawn will out DPS a trained and bionic careful shooter

Deconstruct floors before building walls, pawns build over them and putting a floor under a wall doesn't provide any bonus

Grow corn and make it into nutrient paste, the penalty from eating the paste can be easily negated and corn is plentiful. You can get over 500 meals for a rather moderate harvest and when the power goes out the corn takes ages to spoil so there's no need to worry about it spoiling like already produced meals.

lt_halle

Just a thing that I realized on my most recent adventures on the Rim that I never really thought about before, so maybe it'll help people who don't realize:

Assuming you have half-decent guns (assault rifles, smgs, hunting rifles, etc), shooting in melee is almost always gonna be better than punching bare-fisted - especially since most gun-toting colonists are crap at melee. Now, instead of punching someone for 6 damage every other second, you're spraying them down for several hits of 10+ which also bleed, vastly improving chance of downing or killing foes.

The Nickman

Quote from: Psithen on July 22, 2017, 03:36:30 AM
Ship chunks falling hard to find on a large map? Once you locate them put a no roof zone over them that way when you are ready to go deconstruct them you can easily locate them

Keeping events like fallen cryptosleep pods and ancient danger up without clicking them let's you easily locate them when you're prepared

Careful shooter early on seems nice but a trained and bionic trigger happy pawn will out DPS a trained and bionic careful shooter

Deconstruct floors before building walls, pawns build over them and putting a floor under a wall doesn't provide any bonus

Grow corn and make it into nutrient paste, the penalty from eating the paste can be easily negated and corn is plentiful. You can get over 500 meals for a rather moderate harvest and when the power goes out the corn takes ages to spoil so there's no need to worry about it spoiling like already produced meals.
Fallen cryptosleep pods?

Psithen

[quote [/quote]
Fallen cryptosleep pods?
[/quote]

Those events when one comes down and lands somewhere but doesn't open, I think it's called a crashed escape capsule, I always thought they were cryptosleep pods?

AngleWyrm

I haven't seen a pod land without dumping its load and disappearing.

Can you post your mod list as an attachment?
If there's a mod that does this, I'd like to play with it
My 5-point rating system: Yay, Kay, Meh, Erm, Bleh

Psithen

Quote from: AngleWyrm on July 23, 2017, 03:04:04 AM

I haven't seen a pod land without dumping its load and disappearing.

Can you post your mod list as an attachment?
If there's a mod that does this, I'd like to play with it

Oh i forgot that it was a mod thing, I've been using this mod set forever that I couldn't remember what was vanilla or not.
Misc.  Incidents

Mday

I just did some analysis on food value.
Apparently you can use Nutrient paste dispenser to mass produce nutrient paste for animal feed.

Each paste cost 0.3 nutrition to make and the paste is worth 0.9 nutrition (x 300%). Kibble on the other hand cost 2 nutrition and result in 2.5 nutrition (x 125%). (Each piece of meat/hay/rice and etc is worth 0.05 nutrition)

Animal will eat the paste when Food is at 45%. 0.9/55% = 1.64. Which means any animal that has Food value greater than 1.7, can benefit from the full nutrition value of the paste.

Other issues to cosider:
1) Nutrient paste can only last 3 days under room temperature so unless you are in a biome where the ambiance temperature is below 0, solar flare and etc will limit your ability to stockpile nutrient paste. Kibble on the other hand couldn't spoil so it is still worth keeping a stockpile of them.

2) Most animal that have a Food value higher than 1.65, can tolerate -0 degree and below. You can keep the animals in a separate room or you can just keep them in the same fridge where you store your nutrient paste.

3) Lets first assume you are in a biome where hay is not an option. Normally you can make kibble using 20 rice + 20 human meat and that will give you 50 kibble (2.5 nutrition) . If you make Nutrient paste you can get 6 nutrition.

4) Now consider growing hay as stock feed. Hay is usually more efficient than rice in the sense that, each harvest gives 20 hay, wheres you only get 6 rice per harvest. In other words it is 3 times more effort in planting and harvesting when you grow rice. So unless your hay field is super far away from where you cook the kibble, hay is usually the way to go. The problem is that you can't make nutrition paste out of hay.

Lets assume that you have 20 hay and 20 human meat. If you make kibble, you get 2.5 nutrition. If you use the human meat for nutrient paste and keep the hay as it is, you have 4 nutrition. I think in this case, human meat nutrient paste + hay is still better than straight up kibble. You get way more nutrition, and you get to keep the hay which last 60 days and the option to make kibble out of it remains open.

5) A stack of nutrient paste= 9 nutrient, wheres a stack of kibble/hay = 3.75. This means less space in storage and less hauling. It does require a fridge for storage thou.

6) Another noticeably huge advantages/disadvantages of using nutrient paste dispenser to feed your animal-- You can use a totally useless pawn to manually pour out nutrient pastes in no time. To do this, you need a hungry pawn that is restricted only to the area where you have the dispenser and away from any other food. As soon as he received his nutrient paste and has turn his back moving away, pause the game and press R to Draft the pawn. The pawn will drop his paste form his/her hand. Press R again to undraft the pawn, and he/she will get a new paste from the dispenser. You can do this for as long as the dispenser's hopper has ingredients. If a pastes landed on a hopper, the pawn will stop making new pastes and just grab the one on the hopper. Hence for this trick to work you can only use 6 hoppers (3 on the back, 3 on the right and 3 on the left) which can stock enough human meat for 112 pastes. You can turn these into nutrient paste in no time and it requires way less effort than making kibbles.

Edit
7) If you raise cows for milk, and feed your cows with milk based nutrient paste, you get a positive feed back loop resulting in excessive milk(profit!). Now if you keep 1 bull and some cows together, then every 20 days you get a new calf from each cows you have. That calf can be slaughtered right away for 37 meats + 18 leathers.

SpaceDorf

Quote from: Mday on July 25, 2017, 03:58:51 AM
- snip -

Congratulation, you just explained how to implement todays food industry in Rimworld ;D

Mday

You know how it usually takes 70 kibble/human meat/wood to make chemfuel?
I just realize you can make chemfuel with merely 4 nutrient paste, which is like 24 human meat/rice.
Too bad you can't make nutrient paste out of kibble lol.

Shurp

Congratulation, you just explained how to implement todays food industry in Rimworld ;D
[/quote]

Well, you left out one important bit:

"Hmmmm, one of my cows got twitchy, fell over, and died.  I don't know what to do with it.  Oh, wait, let me butcher it up and drop it into the nutrient paste dispenser that I'm feeding my cows from!"

[2 rimworld years later]

"Hey, why do all my pawns have the 'dementia' debuff???!!!"
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

SpaceDorf

Quote from: Mday on July 25, 2017, 07:15:24 AM
You know how it usually takes 70 kibble/human meat/wood to make chemfuel?
I just realize you can make chemfuel with merely 4 nutrient paste, which is like 24 human meat/rice.
Too bad you can't make nutrient paste out of kibble lol.

Now you've got my attention ..
Does Pemmican go into the dispenser ? And for raw Numbers isn't Corn better than Rice ?

I don't care about feeding my animals this game, I live in a Jungle my animals can either eat grass or go hunt for themselves .. with Fertile Fields Installed .. I have to choose between Chemfuel and Compost .. for both I used rotten , insect and arachnid meat and straw :)

Quote from: Shurp on July 25, 2017, 07:26:47 AM

Well, you left out one important bit:

"Hmmmm, one of my cows got twitchy, fell over, and died.  I don't know what to do with it.  Oh, wait, let me butcher it up and drop it into the nutrient paste dispenser that I'm feeding my cows from!"

[2 rimworld years later]

"Hey, why do all my pawns have the 'dementia' debuff???!!!"

Only if you play on an Island Map ..

Mday

No Pemmican can't go into the dispenser (which is the hopper).

All meat and vegetarian has the same nutrition value set at 0.05. As a result it is more a matter of how efficient it is for you to bring the ingredient in concern to the hopper, which in turns depends on soil fertility/ biome/ base layout and etc.

SpaceDorf

I forgot about Hydroponics .. Rice grown next to the hoppers it is :)

shaw357

Have a herd of animals that you know will agro against your lone hunter and maul him to death?

Draft all of your gun wielding colonists, send them all to the herd, open fire, profit.