The memory limit

Started by skullywag, September 21, 2014, 05:52:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skullywag

So I think ive hit the memory limit for Rimworld. I have about 30 mods and a rather large base with 22 colonists, ive been damned good at keeping the map tidy but now within a half hour or so of loading my save I get an out of memory crash. So my questions are these:

Is there hope for a 64bit version?

Anything us modders can do to lower memory requirements in our mods?

Or are people going larger than this and finding it ok (i.e problem my end)
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Neurotoxin

Quote from: skullywag on September 21, 2014, 05:52:55 PM
So I think ive hit the memory limit for Rimworld. I have about 30 mods and a rather large base with 22 colonists, ive been damned good at keeping the map tidy but now within a half hour or so of loading my save I get an out of memory crash. So my questions are these:

Is there hope for a 64bit version?

Anything us modders can do to lower memory requirements in our mods?

Or are people going larger than this and finding it ok (i.e problem my end)

The majority of memory usage is typically in textures. Reusing textures is a good way to cut back. With the new stuff system in A7 and allowing textures to take different looks based on Material it should reduce memory usage for mods that add multiple items made of different stuff as it only takes one texture and applies a filter over it. Using lower resolution textures can also alleviate the issues at the cost of quality.  I have 31 mods currently and have yet to have an OOM crash, actually, I haven't had any hard crashes at all.

All that said, I think the most resource intensive mod I'm running is Clutter coming in at around 5mb of disk space. I haven't actually paid attention to the memory actively in use by rimworld. As for a 64bit version, it is definitely a possibility BUT last I checked in the 64 bit builds of Unity are really buggy on windows. Linux doesn't seem to have many issues but windows is plagued with quite a few.