Your Cheapest Ideas

Started by Tynan, October 09, 2013, 12:17:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ttc

Forbidden zones. Please allow us to create a zone that no pawn will ever walk into for any reason.

Limdood

Quote from: ttc on March 14, 2016, 08:20:22 PM
Forbidden zones. Please allow us to create a zone that no pawn will ever walk into for any reason.

in the meantime, you can set that area as a zone, click invert (this makes the entire map, EXCEPT that zone, allowed), and then set pawns to go there.  This means that pawns won't START jobs in the restricted area (hauling, hunting, etc.) but they still might walk thru it.

Its not perfect, but its a temporary workaround for you.

alternatively, if its a killbox you're trying to "restrict," you can game it so that the killbox is never the most efficient path...sandbags and rock chunks and traps in the walkway into the killbox, but autodoors  that allow pawns to walk around...the pawns will always see the doors as the most efficient route, due to the slowdown and safety issues of the walkway.

Mossy piglet

Quote from: cameron908 on March 14, 2016, 01:16:54 PM
Quote from: StorymasterQ on March 13, 2016, 08:56:04 PM
Quote from: Mossy piglet on March 13, 2016, 10:30:08 AM
Quote from: cameron908 on March 12, 2016, 08:43:21 PM
Tynan mode 8) hidden option in settings that replaces a significant amount of in game text with the word "Tynan"

"a Tynan is visiting your Tynan" "Tynan has died from Tynan" "Tynan is going on a Tynan" "Tynan has gone Tynan!" "Tynan is no longer Tynan"
"a Tynan year old Tynan is being chased by Tynan and is asking for Tynan" "Tynan has given birth!" ;) "Tynan was crushed to Tynan"
"Tynan has Tynan'ed to death" "a group of Tynan has decided to Tynan your Tynan"

Why?

Why not? That sounds amazing Tynan.

Although, it does make the colony sound like a Smurf town, only with Tynans.

I mean... why in the Tynan would you not want Tynan all over the Tynan!?

The point is would you rather have tynan\piotr coding this or coding something that could actually add good things to the game. It is just a waste of time on the developers part.
Tardigrades are superior to all other life forms in every way.

Ps I secretly am one I am the king of their civilization.

cameron908

Quote from: Mossy piglet on March 15, 2016, 03:38:12 PM
Tynan mode 8) hidden option in settings that replaces a significant amount of in game text with the word "Tynan"

"a Tynan is visiting your Tynan" "Tynan has died from Tynan" "Tynan is going on a Tynan" "Tynan has gone Tynan!" "Tynan is no longer Tynan"
"a Tynan year old Tynan is being chased by Tynan and is asking for Tynan" "Tynan has given birth!" ;) "Tynan was crushed to Tynan"
"Tynan has Tynan'ed to death" "a group of Tynan has decided to Tynan your Tynan"

Why?

The point is would you rather have tynan\piotr coding this or coding something that could actually add good things to the game. It is just a waste of time on the developers part.

What in the Tynan is not good about that? I am Tynan and I find that offensive (nothing is a waste of time if it makes the game more fun)

jzero

personal armor made from bones (human or otherwise)
Actual cannibal shia labeouf.

StorymasterQ

Quote from: jzero on March 15, 2016, 08:04:42 PM
You mean like Cubone?
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

jzero

Quote from: StorymasterQ on March 15, 2016, 08:50:37 PM
Quote from: jzero on March 15, 2016, 08:04:42 PM
You mean like Cubone?

Human skull as helmet? yes
Actual cannibal shia labeouf.

mumblemumble

Fallout 2 style targeting OPTION, with attempts to hit certain body parts, perhaps with less chance, but obviously, much more likely (though not guaranteed) to hit what you want (an aimed head-shot could miss and hit the torso or arm).

Even if it was just a slider for focusing hits on non fatal, center mass, and very fatal blows (limbs, junk, ect for non fatal, center mass being the current system roughly, and fatal aiming primarily for head / heart) That would work, but giving the OPTION at least to aim would be sweet.

Would make those 20 rank melee /  shooters all the better if we could use them to either reliably disable enemies (aim for limbs, genitals, or even perhaps have critical strikes with better effect without completely removing the limb, like an unarmed attack to the leg out right toppling someone, but keeping the leg intact) or conversely, make extremely impressive usage of otherwise outranked weapons (an assassin using a pistol to eye shot raiders, killing them instantly when it goes into the brain)
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

cameron908

Quote from: mumblemumble on March 16, 2016, 01:52:58 PM
Fallout 2 style targeting OPTION, with attempts to hit certain body parts, perhaps with less chance, but obviously, much more likely (though not guaranteed) to hit what you want (an aimed head-shot could miss and hit the torso or arm).

Even if it was just a slider for focusing hits on non fatal, center mass, and very fatal blows (limbs, junk, ect for non fatal, center mass being the current system roughly, and fatal aiming primarily for head / heart) That would work, but giving the OPTION at least to aim would be sweet.

Would make those 20 rank melee /  shooters all the better if we could use them to either reliably disable enemies (aim for limbs, genitals, or even perhaps have critical strikes with better effect without completely removing the limb, like an unarmed attack to the leg out right toppling someone, but keeping the leg intact) or conversely, make extremely impressive usage of otherwise outranked weapons (an assassin using a pistol to eye shot raiders, killing them instantly when it goes into the brain)

(with my limited knowledge of programming and/or game development) I would like to say this probably belongs in suggestions rather than cheapest ideas considering this would probably require a significant change in how the combat system works

Mossy piglet

Quote from: cameron908 on March 15, 2016, 04:27:49 PM

Why?

What in the Tynan is not good about that? I am Tynan and I find that offensive (nothing is a waste of time if it makes the game more fun)

You are not Tynan if you were I might take your post seriously.

mumblemumble

Quote from: cameron908 on March 16, 2016, 02:31:03 PM
Quote from: mumblemumble on March 16, 2016, 01:52:58 PM

(with my limited knowledge of programming and/or game development) I would like to say this probably belongs in suggestions rather than cheapest ideas considering this would probably require a significant change in how the combat system works

perhaps, but not THAT much... Just tweak numbers so the highest hit chance is the intended target (or targets), scaled based on distance / skill / weapon, and add a UI for it. Sure its not THE cheapest perhaps, but I still think its relatively easy, compared to say heating / cooling mechanics or animals, as the targeting is already there for the most part, its just putting a few things there to choose, scaling hit chance by multipliers based on target size, distance, skill, weapon (which area already there mind you) and adjusting the hit chance to be higher for said targets with more skill, and misses / unintended area hits being raised for lower skill.

Not an instantly done thing, no, but I think its actually rather doable, just need a multiplier code for the chances of hitting based on what you aim at, and a UI, and thats pretty much it, I think. Granted I might be glossing over a few details, but it seems relatively simple.

Only other thing I can think of is melee skill enhancing melee DEFENSE, but that is another can of worms.

That said, I guess I will make a formal suggestion post
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

cameron908

Quote from: Mossy piglet on March 16, 2016, 03:19:52 PM
Quote from: cameron908 on March 15, 2016, 04:27:49 PM

Why?

You are not Tynan if you were I might take your post seriously.
In all reality this would very likely require very little effort to implement code wise (change events to state Tynan instead of someones title) and potentially semi tedious process of changing whatever he wants in the game to Tynan and setting it as an option (but who knows im "not Tynan")

Mossy piglet

Cameroon, I don't know anything about coding. If it takes that short, then it is up to the development to decide whether to implement. I do know you are not Tynan though, and I still do not like the idea.

Nasikabatrachus

Cleaning zones and firefighting zones.

I often find that I want my colonists to fight fires in places I don't want them to clean, like the outdoors. For this reason, over and over I find myself periodically deleting and re-adding the home zone to given areas. This often becomes frustrating, as I don't have many reasons to view the home zone regularly, so I repeatedly forget what is being done where and get frustrated or confused by what tasks are and are not being accomplished.

It would also be nice if the auto home zone option didn't add the home zone around dumping stockpiles. In the case of corpse stockpiles especially, I don't want those cleaned or fires in and around them to be fought.

asanbr

It should be possible to smelt armor.

Why can I smelt a silver mace but not a silver military helmet?