Edge: Tales of Paradise

Started by ParagonTerminus, July 18, 2014, 10:53:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ParagonTerminus

I don't quite remember how it happened, but it simply did.

One moment, the alarm was blaring; the automated system screaming an unintelligible alert. I was still groggy from Cryptosleep, but one thing I knew: I needed to evacuate.

Everything was a blur: running down a corridor, opening a series of doors, getting into an escape pod, and smashing the ejection button, and then I was falling.

Looking out of the porthole, I saw two other pods falling with me; more survivors, I supposed. I blacked out, and time passed.

When I woke up, the pod door had opened, and the pod itself was standing on the ground. Looking in at me were two people; a man with short brown hair and a black coat, and a woman with medium honey-coloured hair, a short vest over her long shirt. The two breather obvious sighs of relief at seeing me awake.

"Oh, great, so there's three of us now," the woman laughed. "I'm Laura, and this is Drew. And you are?"

Who was I? At that moment I could not remember, but the name came quickly.

"Dr. Jake Henry," I uttered, and the two nodded. Drew looked out behind him, and I finally had a chance to see where we had crashed.

"It seems we're on a desolate rimworld," Drew stated matter-of-factly, "RW-2819. Nothing explored beyond this planet. The very edge."

And with that final word, began a legacy to stretch into the years.

---

Hi there! Paragon here. Sorry for the short and terrible starting post, I don't have much time to write ATM and I just wanted to set the scene before I left. I'll be updating this very soon, I promise.

This is on my second playthrough, with Phoebe Friendly. The first time I played with Chill Callie Classic, I had my ass handed to me by the fact that literally everyone in my colony went insane in the wake of a bad pirate attack... but that's a story for another time. Anyways, I decided to take it a little easier the second time, and it turns out the story ended up much more interesting. Burn in hell, Callie.

So yeah, update in a few hours! Cheers!
Hi there! I hail from the Sky9, FTL, and Katawa Shoujo forums, so if you're on any of those, I (might) know you.

Now carry along, I'm sure the guy below me has something interesting and contributive to say.

ParagonTerminus

*Quite late, but I hope you don't mind*

[CHAPTER 1]
[THE MOUNTAIN]

When I finally found the strength to exit my escape pod, I took a look around our area. Massive chunks of metal lie strewn around, and I see the other two escape pods standing nearby. I observe the smouldering remains of a few trees, their trunks snapped, wood blasted around the area by the crashing debris of our spaceship.

Suddenly, I hear Drew let out a cry of excitement and turn towards him. He's running off towards a fourth escape pod. Could there be another person with us? I run after Drew, leaving Laura confused.

As I catch up to Drew, I realise he's stopped, and I soon see why. The escape pod wasn't an escape pod at all, but a cargo pod. Drew shrugs and walks over anyways, pressing the external release button.

The pod's vacuum-tight door hisses open, revealing a small stash of food. Drew lets out a whistle.

"Packaged Survival Meals, eh? Not too shabby."

I nodded and grabbed one, flipping it over. I immediately noticed the expiration date stencilled in large block letters on the back.

"Seems here that it'll expire in a few days. We'll need to make the most of it."

Drew flips over one himself and grimaces. "I don't know about you, but I like to keep in shape."

I chuckle and grab a few more meals, looking back towards where we left Laura. She's already got a handful of metal in her hands, and is simply standing around with it.

She calls over, "Where are we gonna stash all this?"

I consider this for a moment, and finally notice the mountain range to our right. I indicate it to the others,

"There's a good place to start. I can see some buildings over there, there might be people," I call back. Turning around, I see that Drew has already gone scampering off in that direction. Myself, I decide to see what else we crashed with; I think I saw a gun somewhere in the wreckage.
Hi there! I hail from the Sky9, FTL, and Katawa Shoujo forums, so if you're on any of those, I (might) know you.

Now carry along, I'm sure the guy below me has something interesting and contributive to say.