How do I decompile and re-compile properly?

Started by mazacik, August 13, 2016, 07:42:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mazacik

Hello, I wanted to get started with modding, but am unable to figure out what to do. I'm using ILSpy to decompile. After I load Assembly-CSharp.csproj into VB VS, everything seems to work okay. However, even without changing anything and trying to build / run the project, I get about 7000 errors, and 13 warnings.
So, how do I decompile rimworld's source code, make simple changes, and re-compile it all back into a working dll?

PS: before someone suggests to check Haplo's tutorial, I already did. Again, I didn't change a single line of code.

RawCode

mazacik

I'll take that as a bad attempt on a joke. Rimworld's unchanged source code should have minimal errors, not 7000 of them. I obviously did the decompiling / setup wrong, I'm just not sure what or how to solve it.

RawCode

Rihlsul

From what I've seen, decompiling only mostly works and shows you most of the code.   You'll find there are many functions that don't decompile very nicely, and across an entire game, 7000 of those seems likely.

mazacik

cuproPanda

Other than creating topics or reporting bugs, RawCode seems to only give useless information or insult people's intelligence. You'll get used to it.

You did do the setup wrong; you don't load the decompiled code into VB, you need to setup references to the assemblies (as described in Haplo's tutorial), then create your own classes. Decompiling the code can be very helpful in understanding how the code works, but if you just plug in the same code it'll cause problems - most of which come from the IDE not knowing what a ThingDef is, or what "using RimWorld" means.

Checking out modders' GitHubs might help you see how the code should be laid out. I have mine, and there are others as well you can find by going to their mod topics.
cuproPanda's Mods: Survivalist's Additions, Additional Joy Objects, Cupro's Drinks, Quarry, Cupro's Stones, Zen Garden, Cupro's Alloys, Preset Filtered Zones, & more!

RemingtonRyder

^ What he said.

If you need any more help, feel free to send me a message. I was new to this not so long ago.

Given that RimWorld isn't written in VB (VisualBasic), loading it in VB would produce thousands of errors.

You need to load it into a C# IDE (VisualStudio, Xamarin Studio, SharpDev) and then even you will get lots of errors due to the fact that no decompiler is going to supply a 1:1 translation of the compiled code to the source.  Anything with an enumerable returns or lambda expressions will have limited success in reconstructing the source code from the compiler generated code blocks.

Also, why are you trying to violate copyright by whole-sale decompiling and recompiling?  Tynans license and international copyright laws allow you to decompile small parts for usage in mods, educational purposes, etc, but a whole-sale decompile and recompile would be in far excess of that allowance.

TL;DR:  You're Doing It Wrong(tm).
(2*b)||!(2*b) - That is the question.
There are 10 kinds of people in this world - those that understand binary and those that don't.