More Types Of Severe Mental Break

Started by twoski, August 07, 2016, 10:51:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twoski

I'm getting really annoyed with my pawns constantly going berserk. It's a mental break that should happen very rarely but currently it's the only thing that happens when a pawn is severely unhappy. I got a mod that reduces the chance of berserk happening because it's just incredibly annoying and unrealistic for a pawn to go active shooter because they're unhappy.

We need more interesting severe mental breaks, i have a few ideas for simple and cheap ones:

- Antisocial mental break: The pawn moves to the other side of the map for a couple of days and lives on their own
- Animal violence mental break: The pawn finds the nearest animal and takes their anger out on it. If it can't find an animal then it just wanders around.
- Destructive mental break: The pawn walks around and punches furniture/etc, damaging it.
- Self harm/suicidal: The pawn cuts their wrists/arms and causes severe bleeding then sadly wanders around.
- Faint: The pawn becomes very exhausted from being so stressed out and faints on the spot, and has to sleep for a few days before they'll feel better.
- Verbal abuse: The pawn goes crazy and takes out their anxiety on any nearby pawns, ruining their relationship (ie. their relationship with that pawn suffers greatly and goes into the negatives). This would have implications for marriages/lovers.

I would mod these in myself but i don't know exactly what i need to do to do this.

cultist

All of these sound good, just a few minor comments:

Antisocial break sounds cool, but I don't think it's technically possible. A whole new AI routine would be needed for a pawn to survive for several days away from the group while still taking away player control. Even then it would most likely result in that pawn spiraling into further mental breaks with the player left powerless to do anything about it.

Faint: Several days of rest seems a bit extreme. I would suggest simply draining the pawn's rest bar, perhaps multiple times in a day (making them exhausted and causing them to fall over and sleep where they stand). Alternatively, simply increase the multiplier for the drain on the rest bar for a few days so the pawn needs to rest several times a day, much like the parasite diseases.

twoski

The antisocial break might work better if it was limited in terms of how long the pawn stays there. Or maybe just have them move far enough from the colony that they can't see any other pawns.

cultist

Quote from: twoski on August 08, 2016, 09:49:10 AM
The antisocial break might work better if it was limited in terms of how long the pawn stays there. Or maybe just have them move far enough from the colony that they can't see any other pawns.
The idea is good, but removing the pawn from the base causes a bunch of AI issues like I mentioned. They would have to hunt and cook their own food, build their own shelter, choose a sleeping spot etc. without the player getting involved.
Maybe as an alternative, the broken pawn could imitate the soft mental break "hide in room" whenever they come near two or more pawns, or the same situation could trigger the "panic" reaction (fleeing).

Serenity

Maybe the pawn could sleep outside not far from the base for a while and take as many meals as needed for that. There could be a check if the temperature is survivable. If not it doesn't happen or he returns.

Blato

Quote from: twoski on August 07, 2016, 10:51:45 PM
- Destructive mental break: The pawn walks around and punches furniture/etc, damaging it.
- Verbal abuse: The pawn goes crazy and takes out their anxiety on any nearby pawns, ruining their relationship (ie. their relationship with that pawn suffers greatly and goes into the negatives). This would have implications for marriages/lovers.
I'm all up for these two, the Verbal Abuse would go well with certain "hates men/women, psychopath" etc. traits, and the destructive behavior would give your repairmen a reason to take another look at that furniture, not just the electric appliances that the AI director decides to poop on.

Lightzy

I can't say I like the abusive break, for fear of making all other pawns go into their own mental breaks etc, which would be retaded.

I would however like to replace the current "Berzerk" breakdown where you pretty much can lose the game to a single mental break, with the "smash furniture" one.

BUT,

I'd definitely add a "hermitism!" event where one of your pawns decides to hermit himself away on the far side of the map, essentially becoming like an animal (hunting/gathering but staying away from the other pawns. This is a fun event because it forces you to work around the lack of the guy. Kind of like a sickness, only much more fun because there isn't impending death. Just more.. upbeat.
For a little while anyway.

Also..

Strange moods leading to artistic genius....
Too much of a direct ripoff but.. yeah, they're great those DF guys

twoski

Okay i got tired of brainstorming and just did it myself. The tantrum mental break was too easy.

twoski

Before i make a mod out of this i'm going to try and complete more. Post your easy ideas

Wex

The "antisocial" could be the pawn staying away from the rest of people, while still in the base.
He will choose a low traffic area, drag there a couple of meals and staying there, minding his own business.

There can be a "tantrum" mental break, with the pawn talking with himself (like a crazy person, weird uh) and going on a small zone back and forth. All pawn seeing the scene would have a social malus toward the pawn "behaved like a madman -20"
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

twoski

Im going to also do a prisoner fight one where a colonist takes his anger out on a prisoner.  That should be easy.

Lightzy

Can you do more conditional events?

For example, giving a pawn a chance of taking his anger out on a prisoner if that prisoner or his faction killed the pawns relative/pet ?

cultist

Quote from: Lightzy on August 10, 2016, 09:27:06 AM
Can you do more conditional events?

For example, giving a pawn a chance of taking his anger out on a prisoner if that prisoner or his faction killed the pawns relative/pet ?

Maybe just base it on relationship. If a pawn dislikes a prisoner, it is most likely because they hurt him/his friends (or it's an ex-lover :D).

twoski

There is a conditional part of mental breaks,  for example the hide in room mental break does not trigger if a pawn has no assigned bed.

I am not sure about that specific condition though since i don't know how that information is stored.  If someone here is more knowledgeable about how thoughts and relationships work then i am all ears.

Wex

A "enough is enough" break. The pawn goes to the stockpile, takes something valuable and goes for exiting the map.
A "directed" form of berserk, called "revenge". Pawn goes for his worst rival to beat him unconscious.
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison