Alcohol

Started by Argon, December 29, 2014, 09:18:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Argon

So...your colonists have a few thousand extra potatoes lying around rotting.What do they do? They could build a larger freezer... or make vodka!

Various foods could be converted into alcohol ex:  (potatoes=> vodka, berries=> wine, agave=> tequila)

This could have some interesting effects on your colonists...

-Argon

ns9559

Strictly for medical purposes of coarse.  ;)

litlbear

would be good for mood, also can sell
yes

UnassumingWhiteGuy

It could also come with downsides, like the risk of alcoholism, or drunkenness improving mood but slowing work speed. And maybe certain traits, like depressive, could cause that colonist to react badly to it. Plus it would allow for a whole bunch of alcohol-themed traits.

Also, if medicine was ever craftable, it seems like it would be a good crafting component for it.

Argon

Quote from: UnassumingWhiteGuy on December 29, 2014, 10:45:30 PM
It could also come with downsides, like the risk of alcoholism, or drunkenness improving mood but slowing work speed. And maybe certain traits, like depressive, could cause that colonist to react badly to it. Plus it would allow for a whole bunch of alcohol-themed traits.

Also, if medicine was ever craftable, it seems like it would be a good crafting component for it.

Agreed.

Alcoholism could come as a preexisting trait where the colonist requires alcohol or they become unhappy.
Prolonged heavy drinking could also cause cirrhosis, prompting you to viciously harvest the livers of your enemies to save your perpetually drunk colonists.

-Argon

Geertje123

This is an awesome idea and should be made :)

Slightquills

I like this idea . . . but there could be another risk too. I mean, can you imagine a drunk colonist trying to put out a fire? . . . one less colonist.

Geertje123

Quote from: Slightquills on December 30, 2014, 12:19:33 PM
I like this idea . . . but there could be another risk too. I mean, can you imagine a drunk colonist trying to put out a fire? . . . one less colonist.

I think that's the fun side of it. :D

At one side you have their mood go up, but on the other hand they can be sloppy at their job.

I'd say; get them really drunk and lock the doors of the bar  ;)

Noobshock

I agree with alcohol giving mood or some other buffs but creating hazards with drunk colonists.

Argon

Drunk colonists should also have a mechanic where they wander to a destination instead of taking the shortest route.

-Argon

WolveNZ

Buffs to pain resistance, happiness, strength.
Cons to work speed, accuracy, movement speed ?

Argon

Quote from: WolveNZ on December 30, 2014, 05:44:52 PM

Second That

-Argon

Geertje123

Quote from: WolveNZ on December 30, 2014, 05:44:52 PM

Let's add random puking to the cons :p
You can easily use the green crytofluid for it

mumblemumble

Speaking of medicine, perhaps it could be used as a substitute for medicine in some circumstances, with a large mood debuff / a pain boost to the colonist? alcohol IS a disinfectant but it hurts something awful if you get it in a cut...imagine a gunshot being flushed with alcohol, crippling, and perhaps would also get you drunk...but it would prevent infection.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

Argon

Quote from: mumblemumble on December 30, 2014, 09:54:13 PM
Speaking of medicine, perhaps it could be used as a substitute for medicine in some circumstances, with a large mood debuff / a pain boost to the colonist? alcohol IS a disinfectant but it hurts something awful if you get it in a cut...imagine a gunshot being flushed with alcohol, crippling, and perhaps would also get you drunk...but it would prevent infection.

Seconded.

This could also be used as an alternative to medicine to prevent infections in prisoners without wasting valuable medicine.

-Argon