Wall Graphics with Stuff System

Started by Jotun, March 31, 2015, 07:31:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jotun

I'm trying to update an old mod I made which adds walls with light fixtures. I think I've figured out how the new stuff-based textures work (plain greyscale, with a mask texture that I assume is automatically loaded and used if you add _m to the end of it) but I'm having trouble figuring out how to point the game at the textures.

The base wall class doesn't have anything in it about selecting stone, wood, or metal textures, and only points at things/building/linked/wall, as I don't have the art directory structure (not included with the game and the source thread is out of date) I can't look and see how this is structured and deduce a set of names from that.

So, essentially, what do I need to do to point my lit walls at the new atlases I made with the light fixtures attached? The game seems to use a single wall class for all three types of wall so I'd sooner use that same method if possible.

skullywag

It uses the same wall texture but uses graphic_appearance, if ou check the "stuff" its made from like stone bricks youll see they have an "appearance" flag, is that what you are talking about, this is linked to a public enum that contains "stuffAppearance" of smooth, bricks, planks.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Jotun

Good thing I asked then because I wouldn't have figured that out on my own.

Ok, so, looking at the stuffs, I see the appearance flag, but I can't see a graphic path associated with it, nor can I see a "AppearanceDefs" file or anything that might contain that information.

So, I'm not how the appearance flag affects the texture, does it overlay the brick or plank texture onto the base texture? Presumably it would overlay over the top of the alterations I made to the wall texture as well. At this point I'm wondering if it might not be easier to make three separate wall types with identical stats and different graphics sets, but then I'm not sure if that will work.

Thanks for the help by the way, can't find much documentation for this sort of thing.

mejoyh2006

Disclaimer: I'm extremely new to this sort of thing, but have been digging around in the stuffify files myself. It appears that overlays and textures are linked to the <stuffCategory> tag.

Looking at the textures .zip uploaded by Tynan, there are three separate wall textures under Linked labeled WallLog_Atlas, WallStone_Atlas, and WallMetal_Atlas. Possible that the .dll assigns that texture based on StuffCat listed?
-mejoyh2006

skullywag

That zip is out of date so dont trust it (it might be right though havent checked). Its simply the appearance flag (and the graphic class/shader) on the stuff that denotes the overlay to use If im remembering right, ill check for certain when im near the code.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?