Local jail needs help

Started by Workload, November 13, 2013, 05:55:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mumblemumble

Quote from: JayNic on November 13, 2013, 04:03:25 PM
We build jails - why not someone else?
Heres a few reasons:

The colony has no reputation.
It would be a violation of prisoners rights, most likely.
Its uncertain if the prisoners would be around when the sentence is up(might be killed, working for the colony, sold off, w.e).
Nothing is stopping the colony from selling them off for even more money.
Prison would need to be certified by the government who owns the prisoners. (Its this way in real life)
There is ABSOLUTELY no reason what so ever to trust the colony

And many others. Seriously, no government in their right mind would export prisoners to some random desolate planet colony, if they cared THAT little about the prisoners, they would of shot them a long time ago.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

Nasikabatrachus

I'm not sure about someone paying the player to take in a convict, but penal colonies and the export of convicts to be sold as indentured servants was a real practice undertaken by, for example, the British Empire.

Citation: Australia

Tynan

I actually quite like the idea. It falls in with the "colony quests" general concept where someone asks you to do something within a time frame for a reward.

As for the story reasoning, what's the issue? Some dudes have a prisoner, they're getting chased by a bigger band of dudes, they desperately try to pay off some little colony to hold onto the prisoner with the promise of a bigger payoff later. Maybe the bigger band attacks the colony, maybe not, maybe the dudes never come back, or maybe you recruit the prison and ambush the people who hired you when they return. It's a very Western story.

The government doesn't have to be involved at all, a prison can just be a tied-up hostage from a robbery gone wrong or a governor's daughter being delivered to a gang leader or a rich man held for ransom.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Semmy

aristocrat ladies being taken hostage and being delivered to my fear driven colony.

This game can go every way someoby wants it to go.

But i think it will be a nice addition.
You could even make it a deeper quest.
In wich you can take in that hostage or turn him down.
If you take in the hostage some bounty hunters might come take that hostage back. Or maybe even imperial scouting parties might come and look for them. Damm i could rattle on about the possibilities this kind of events/quests open up
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke

Nasikabatrachus

I especially like the potential for double-crossing whoever the quest-givers are.

lt_halle

A small blue notification pops up in the right.

"Days ago, you detected a large burst of energy in the sky, evidence of an exploding starship. A battered escape pod lands near your colony with an injured convict inside. At nearly the same time, you receive a transmission.

'This is Penitentiary Station <insert random name here> broadcasting to all nearby settlements. A bus for convicts has been struck and destroyed in a sector near your location. If you have information about any escaped convicts, we will keep an open radio channel. A reward is offered for their safe return."

From there, you have about a week to use your comms unit to report the prisoner (if you've taken them prisoner), after which jailers will land a few days later, collect the prisoner and pay you a moderate sum once they're off the map. It would be moderately less than what slavers would pay, but in return your colonists get a positive happiness booster ("Put away a dangerous criminal") whereas you could recruit them but suffer a negative happiness modifier ("Welcomed a convict into our ranks").

Galileus

As long as it's an escaped convict or a captured guy (when it's just a few people involved) and not a prison ship or local prison just randomly dropping one guy at you, this can work. I definitely do not buy a full-blown prison still.

Nasikabatrachus

I think that when this sort of idea is one of dozens of events that only happen once every four or five games, people will forget that they ever found it objectionable.

Galileus

What do you think we are? Goldfish community? That any distrac... oh, look, butterfly!

(sorry, couldn't help myself :P)

litlbear

Quote from: Wopian on November 13, 2013, 02:16:23 PM
Kinda goes against the story of crashing onto a rim world. It's highly unlikely to be a prison that far out.

in lots of stories, prisoners were sent to stations in space, far away from civillization.  it makes sense.
yes

Workload

Glad a lot of people and Tynan like this and want to see this didn't think it get that notice. Also I like the other stories around this.

Oh a different Event its kinda been mention around the forum I think.

Travelers seeking help

Travelers are in need of food and repairs and a place to sleep. Asking you if they can land by you to refuel /repair. After a set time they will leave and pay for the help or they might turn on you and try take your stuff and leave or attack your people. You can toss some sleeping rolls outside or give them nice guest’s rooms. Also have to feed them and sometimes help repair and connect a power cable to the ship to give it power.  The travelers names should be different color then yours maybe green. So you know what guys are yours and there's.

DarkThug

Quote from: Workload on November 15, 2013, 02:39:02 AM
Travelers seeking help

Travelers are in need of food and repairs and a place to sleep. Asking you if they can land by you to refuel /repair. After a set time they will leave and pay for the help or they might turn on you and try take your stuff and leave or attack your people. You can toss some sleeping rolls outside or give them nice guest’s rooms. Also have to feed them and sometimes help repair and connect a power cable to the ship to give it power.

I like this Idea very much. It has FTL feel in it. It also give player something to do with their excess food and energy in late game. If you success they can give you reward. Be it cash, metal or other items that do nothing right now. Or they can actually be spies or raiders trying to infiltrate your base.

Quote from: Workload on November 15, 2013, 02:39:02 AM
The travelers names should be different color then yours maybe green. So you know what guys are yours and there's.

We do already have blue for neutral character. When they start attacking, they can also turn red. Imagine 5 blue suddenly turn red in middle of our base. Chaos will ensue lol

To expand on that, I would like to suggest a landing pad, a repair bay, a bar and an inn. So we can attract more travelers. Have them pay money for a place to stay. Buy food in bar. Occasionally, two drunkard will start shooting each other in the bar. Stray bullet and collateral damage would be imminent.

majesty

who said you're the only survivors?
if crap is raining down all the time and escape pods are landing and somehow you three survived, why the hell cant other colonists survive and start their own colony? they could ask you to hold on to one of their prisoners. plus, if its such a rim-world then why the hell do i see travelers every 5 mins? i mean sure, its cool that i can jail their ass for being on my turf, but where do they come from? probably one of the other colonies.

Workload

Quote from: majesty on November 15, 2013, 03:32:45 PM
who said you're the only survivors?
if crap is raining down all the time and escape pods are landing and somehow you three survived, why the hell cant other colonists survive and start their own colony? they could ask you to hold on to one of their prisoners. plus, if its such a rim-world then why the hell do i see travelers every 5 mins? i mean sure, its cool that i can jail their ass for being on my turf, but where do they come from? probably one of the other colonies.
Exactly and there colonists, why leave there nice home on this new planet.  Sure there’s flaming rats but damn it, this is our home now.

Cause pretty sure after awhile you could build a ship and take off.  Just saying not suggesting it at all.   

Quote from: DarkThug on November 15, 2013, 03:08:48 AM

I like this Idea very much. It has FTL feel in it. It also give player something to do with their excess food and energy in late game. If you success they can give you reward. Be it cash, metal or other items that do nothing right now. Or they can actually be spies or raiders trying to infiltrate your base.

We do already have blue for neutral character. When they start attacking, they can also turn red. Imagine 5 blue suddenly turn red in middle of our base. Chaos will ensue lol

To expand on that, I would like to suggest a landing pad, a repair bay, a bar and an inn. So we can attract more travelers. Have them pay money for a place to stay. Buy food in bar. Occasionally, two drunkard will start shooting each other in the bar. Stray bullet and collateral damage would be imminent.

Thanks I try to put the basics out there and let other people word smith it haha and I checked out FTL cause I keep seeing it popping up in the forums. I see what you mean.

Oh blue is neutral that works for me.

The landing pads would be needed for this for sure, Could skip the repair bay but if willing to make it I’m down.
Bar sounds awesome. Can have some cons/pros     
Pros- Make people happy fast for a few hrs.    Attracts more people.    Make money off guests/blue names.     Can’t think of more know I’m missing something
Cons- Higher chance of fights/brawl.    Work slower while drunk.    Sometimes gets a hangover debuff after drunk wears off.

Maybe for the inn just make beds have 3 modes. blue for guest / and keep the other 2 the same. Maybe if a guest sleeps for 6hrs in a bed they will pay something small like 20$ or 2 metals

Would be nice to see this instead of everyone is on your team but I see some problems what if raiders attack and you have guests everywhere how will they react. Will they take off in their ships hide in buildings or just run around getting shoot or would they try to fight with you.

Luckless

Quote from: litlbear on November 14, 2013, 02:51:20 PM
Quote from: Wopian on November 13, 2013, 02:16:23 PM
Kinda goes against the story of crashing onto a rim world. It's highly unlikely to be a prison that far out.

in lots of stories, prisoners were sent to stations in space, far away from civillization.  it makes sense.

Lots of History of civilizations sending their prisoners to far flung parts of the world as punishment.