Apparel to Textile conversion

Started by PhantomFav, November 24, 2017, 04:53:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhantomFav

With the electric smelter you can smelt the numerose weapons left by the dead riders, producing steel.
It will be useful if the same thing was applicabile for the infinite unusable apparels (dead debuffs, low HP, Awful/Shoddy/Poor quality) taken by striped corpses. With the tailor benches, the apparels will be disassembled in their original materials (cloth, wool, devil strand etc). Lowest are the Hit Points, lowest is the amount of material obtained.
In the late game, my stockpiles and the base perimeter are literally choked by unused and without value on market apparels :-\

P.S. it will be appreciate if a similar smelting process was applicable on the armor vests and the shield belts too.

Disnof

There is a mod for that, a few in fact :)

PhantomFav

I never find them :P What are the names?

In any case, this should be a vanilla feature, not a mod :-X

PhantomFav

Bolgfred

I'd be cautious with that. Too much recycling makes everything feel anbot artificial. By now I craft clothes, and the good ones get into a trading stockpile and the very good ones go for my colonists. If I could recycle them I'd recycle everything except for those legendaries until I am socked enough.
Sometimes this can bee good, but sometimes it takes the realistic feel.

I love the crap pile in front of my base, that Contains all that things from those raiding parties who cam for visit and ended as doggo food.
"The earth has only been lent to us,
but no one has said anything about returning."
-J.R. Van Devil

SpaceDorf

You can always burn the shit at the crematorium or campfire ( campfire might require a mod )
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

PhantomFav

Quote from: SpaceDorf on November 24, 2017, 08:43:09 AM
You can always burn the shit at the crematorium or campfire ( campfire might require a mod )

Yes but that is a waste of resources (wood and electricity) :D

Bolgfred

Quote from: PhantomFav on November 24, 2017, 09:09:32 AM
Quote from: SpaceDorf on November 24, 2017, 08:43:09 AM
Yes but that is a waste of resources (wood and electricity) :D

Not to forget the massive loss of aesthetics ....

Anyway, burning in a crematory, or disposal by transport pod is all fine for me, because it is a completed process. I am not tempted to reuse them endlessly for perfection.
If there was a cotton gun, I would gladyl fire my old pants onto my enemies. Mechanoids might look great with pants and hat.
"The earth has only been lent to us,
but no one has said anything about returning."
-J.R. Van Devil

Sylvain07

burn clothes could increase life of the fire camp...

For the big quantity of clothes, maybe it could exist a trunk with 10 clothes of capacity. This object of 1 square should stocked only clothes. it could have the option "only the weared clothes by dead men" and "the pawns don't have acces to the clothes"

Third_Of_Five

+1

Definitely want this.
As a side note, perhaps not only does the amount of material obtained depend on the durability of the clothing item, but perhaps also the amount of material you get may depend on the type of material? I know that when you make statues, for example, making them out of more valuable materials, like jade or gold, requires more of that material than normal. So, conversely, if the item of clothing you are harvesting from is made from a valuable material, like synthread, devilstrand or hyperweave, you would obtain less of that material from it than normal.

Sbilko

Since your base is littered with awful corpse apparel, you could just bury the raiders without stripping them.

The space which the deadman's apparel takes of your stockpile is far more precious than the apparel itself.

YokoZar

It's not worth stripping corpses unless you want a shield belt (which don't get the deadman's debuff for some reason), but then you have a bunch of trash gear to deal with.

I really like this idea of reverse tailoring clothes to recover some fabric.  Even a relatively small percentage (less efficient than deconstruction) would be fun.  I would love to have a more consistent access to synthread and hyperweave by the end game so that my expert crafter can finally make clothes out of these exotic fabrics.

asanbr

To get rid of them, just burn it with molotovs.

If you're not using the corpses, burn them too before stripping, like someone suggested.