Stack Size vs Carry Size

Started by GiantSpaceHamster, January 27, 2017, 07:17:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GiantSpaceHamster

I see a lot of comments about stack sizes. While I personally don't have a problem with the current stack sizes, it does feel like the concept is being used for two different things:

1) Maximum quantity of a thing that can be present in a tile
2) Maximum quantity of a thing that a pawn can carry

I'm not sure if the value-add is worth the design and refactor time, but it would be nice if these two properties were separate. This would allow stacking more of things in one tile without also increasing the amount a pawn can carry. Conceptually it also makes sense that a pawn would not be able to carry everything in a tile, depending on what it is. Then again, a single pawn can carry a double bed, so obviously the line stops short of realism (as with any game).

It would also be nice if when carrying things (e.g. hauling) pawns were able to pick up different types of items. When packing inventory for a caravan for example pawns will stock up different types of things in their inventory, but when hauling, they will never use their inventory and will only ever carry one type of thing at a time. I am constantly frustrated with pawns that run across the map to grab that one nutrient paste on the ground and do not pick up the pistol or whatever other small item is laying next to it.