Clothing layers, temperature, and homage to an old game

Started by jsteele726, December 14, 2013, 07:45:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jsteele726

(Tried checking to see if this had been suggested, found nothing, I apologize if I missed it and I'm repeating)

So in one of Tynan's last updates, he mentioned apparel and the possibility of multiple layers. I'm new to the game and the community, so I apologize if I may have missed this, but I think a layer system for clothing would be a perfect chance to try out temperatures. Colder environments would require more layers, warmer would require fewer. I would like to see this work out where a player has to choose to send his colonists outside at night because the day is just too hot, and likewise, send his people out by day because everything freezes at night.

Additionally, on the topic of temperatures, I would like to see this work into colony construction as well. Using Theme Hospital as a reference, I would love to have the option to place radiators throughout my colony to create warm zones to keep everyone comfortable, and likewise, I would like to install fan systems to keep everyone cool. Perhaps radiators and fans could be an early tier research item, and further on down the road, central heating and air systems could be researched to allow the running of ventilation systems throughout the colony to keep everyone a nice, pleasant temperature.

Galileus

As for layers of clothing - I believe Tynan meant there will be graphics for different layers of clothing, not equipping clothing.

As for equipping clothing - I really don't like that idea. I simply can't see nothing good coming out of it. Hypothermia mod for Skyrim was awesome - but in Skyrim you had one guy and huge world. In Rimworld you either equip your colonists with proper clothing and "DONE! Wait, why was this in the game again?" or need to micromanage friggin t-shirts on everyone every time they come back to base or go outside.

I like the temperature - as a global management and not micro management it's far better idea. Unfortunately, it was surely suggested as "air flow system" and I believe was tested too - with negative results so far ;) All in all I would rather see proper water distribution system way before we even start talking about air flow and temperature gradients.

palandus

What if it was simply introduced as weather initially, say a rogue snow storm? This could deposit snow on the ground that made walking treacherous and killed off all of the plants. And then clear away after a few days.

jsteele726

I could see that coming in as a random event. Same could be said with a heatwave that temporarily dries up a water source or kills the plant life.