Question about steam release

Started by Parzival12, July 14, 2016, 11:58:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NolanSyKinsley

Quote from: Fluffy (l2032) on August 26, 2016, 08:06:21 AM
Interesting, I was always under the impression that you needed to own the game to even see it's workshop.

If steam workshop can't be used as a lure for would-be pirates (e.g. you can only get these mods if you buy the game legit), then I really don't see the point of the workshop anymore - it's an utterly horrid release channel for software.

I really don't get why you have such a massive issue with the workshop, I have never had any problems with it. Provides the mods, easy to subscribe to and easy to remove. I quite enjoy it.

I believe the reason why you are allowed to grab workshop content like this without having the game in your library is for things like dedicated servers, so you can install/update mods on them without having to purchase another copy of the game to do so. (another reason I really like the workshop)

Lockdown

Quote from: NolanSyKinsley on August 26, 2016, 01:27:12 PM
I really don't get why you have such a massive issue with the workshop, I have never had any problems with it. Provides the mods, easy to subscribe to and easy to remove. I quite enjoy it.

The problem with the Steam workshop is that it's too user-friendly. By automating the entire mod updating process, control is effectively removed from the player, which can often lead to broken games.

For example, let's say you're playing with mods on A14, and one of the mod authors decides to update to an unstable A15 branch, because he wanted to play with the new drugs. Your game will auto-update it without your consent, and your save is now bricked, with no way to downgrade to the previous version. Most you can do is preemptively make local backups of all your mods, but since you have to do that manually every time a mod updates, you may as well ditch the Steam workshop entirely and manage your mods manually for full control.

NolanSyKinsley

Quote from: Lockdown on August 27, 2016, 01:16:48 AM
Quote from: NolanSyKinsley on August 26, 2016, 01:27:12 PM

The problem with the Steam workshop is that it's too user-friendly. By automating the entire mod updating process, control is effectively removed from the player, which can often lead to broken games.

For example, let's say you're playing with mods on A14, and one of the mod authors decides to update to an unstable A15 branch, because he wanted to play with the new drugs. Your game will auto-update it without your consent, and your save is now bricked, with no way to downgrade to the previous version. Most you can do is preemptively make local backups of all your mods, but since you have to do that manually every time a mod updates, you may as well ditch the Steam workshop entirely and manage your mods manually for full control.

That would take a mod author being idiotic, which I have never encountered. A mod author that changes the version on the workshop to something other than the current stable build of the game should simply not be a mod author.

Lockdown

Quote from: NolanSyKinsley on August 27, 2016, 01:37:27 AM

That would take a mod author being idiotic

People can make pretty stupid decisions, I've seen this happen with the patch beta builds of Stellaris. May not have happened to you yet but it's always a risk you're taking. You'll also run into problems when a mod is removed from the workshop, which is a somewhat common occurence. Overall, the Steam Workshop is a bit of a Russian roulette, and I only rely on it for multiplayer-only games where my mods need to be on the same version as the servers at all times anyway.