Stock pile ideas, (don't count the Trash pile) and (Scheduled delivery)

Started by Swat_Raptor, December 08, 2016, 09:26:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swat_Raptor

I have some ideas to make stock piles better.

I'm sure others have had these ideas but there not in a mod and not in the game yet some I'm stating them again, and I hope the rest of you don't find these overly complicated

Scheduled delivery
Here's the idea you have 2 stock piles of equal priority, I would like to able to make a recurring delivery order so that someone assigned to hauling will take X loads of specified resources from stock pile A to stock pile B every day or until empty or until stock pile B has a certain # of items. that way your people at crafting tables won't waste time traveling across the base to drop of the item they just made, and then have to walk all the way back before he gets back to the crafting station to make his next item.

Don't count trash pile
Currently I don't know of any functional difference between the Dumping stockpile and the regular ones.

I think that the dumping stockpile should function as a stockpile but not count the items within it to your inventory. its a stock pile where you move your trash and unwanted items. Perhaps you could still sell items in it but it would not count towards your inventory totals, thus you could make crafting bills but if you move all your low quality or damaged items to a trash pile then only your good ones will be counted for the continual crafting bills.

Profugo Barbatus

Well, for the first one, you can already sort of create that effect. Have your basic "Anything goes" stockpiles be low priority, and then set up small, one or two tile sized stockpiles near your crafting benches, restricted to a single resource, with a high priority for the stockpile setting. Pawns will prioritize moving stuff out of low stockpiles into high stockpiles based on how high the priority is. If your haulers are running really behind, you can restrict the crafting bench's ingredient radius to be small enough to only reach the local stockpile, so your crafters won't bother scurrying the map if things have gotten bogged up by say, moving raider loot inside. Don't forget to set the bills to be "drop on floor" when crafting though, otherwise you'll lose the speed advantage.

Dumping stockpiles just default to only having stuff like chunks and corpses enabled. As for not tracking stuff, that might be worth putting into the "cheapest ideas" section. A toggle "Do not count contents in inventory" option for stockpiles. Although I guess there could be exploit concerns for it if it not counting it into inventory also prevents it from adding to colony wealth.

14m1337

Quote from: Profugo Barbatus on December 08, 2016, 10:14:58 AM
Although I guess there could be exploit concerns for it if it not counting it into inventory also prevents it from adding to colony wealth.

this is why dumping and normal stockpile zones should be different completely. you may put dumping stuff into normal stockpiles, but never ever normal stuff into dumping stockpiles - this is the behavior I'd expect. then one could really have an option to "not count the contents of a dumping stockpile". of course, then for example it would have to be hardcoded that clothes may only be put to dumping stockpiles with 51 or less %
Quick_Silver - The One And Lonely
My posts may sometimes be filled with (sarcastic) humor - it's up to you to find it out on your own.
Usually drunk on Mondays from 21:00 to 03:00 CEST.

Swat_Raptor

Well, for the first one, you can already sort of create that effect. Have your basic "Anything goes" stockpiles be low priority, and then set up small, one or two tile sized stockpiles near your crafting benches.

I already do this and it works for weapons, armor, clothing, art, but the problem comes in for stuff like medicine, meals, artillery shells, social drugs, things which have lower pawn work cost and which you want to have stored else where in Dinning rooms, by artillery cannons,in hospitals, etc. if you create a stock pile of higher priority further away from your crafting bench (in hospital for example), that is where the crafter will drop the item off at, but I want the crafter to devote most of his time for the crafting process , but if I make the hospital stock pile of equal or lower priority than the crafting room stock pile, then meds won't get dropped off in the hospital (where it is needed) until the crafting room stock piles are full but once that happens then the crafters still will finish a med and travel all the way out of the hospital to drop it off in the other stock pile. and we have a similar dilemma when making meals and social drugs. items which you are probably crafting continuously and in large volumes but are most useful stored close to where they are consumed.

alternatively you could address this issue by allowing the product to be made in lager batches and thus keep the product cost per unit equal and at least your crafters could drop off 10 of a item rather than waste time dropping each individual item off.

Dumping stockpiles just default to only having stuff like chunks and corpses enabled. As for not tracking stuff, that might be worth putting into the "cheapest ideas" section. A toggle "Do not count contents in inventory" option for stockpiles. Although I guess there could be exploit concerns for it if it not counting it into inventory also prevents it from adding to colony wealth.

this could be resolved by still counting the wealth stored in a dumping stock pile but just not add them into the inventory totals.

buttflexspireling

Personally, I'm still waiting for a smelting
zone and a nudist zone.

schizmo

Piggybacking on the general concept of a scheduled delivery, it would be nice to institute schedules or mandatory minimums on various priority stockpiles so that haulers don't go out of their way to haul 1-3 items to top off a higher priority stockpile. It really is a waste of their time to top the pile off with a few items at a time, and I would vastly prefer a hauler to carry a full or half stack to a stockpile, and save him/herself the trouble of having to make multiple trips throughout the day, especially for crafting items that require a small number of items, like Medkits, or for animal feed stockpiles where small amounts are eaten at a time.

In my experience the larger number of priority stockpiles you have in your colony, the more bogged down your haulers become, because they're CONSTANTLY shuttling small amounts of items around. Scheduled deliveries would make this much more efficient.

Thyme

Hauling Hysteresis allows to haul to Stockpiles only when it's less full than a certain, player-set level. Combine it with "Drop on floor" in Bill settings and you have what you want.

Sent from my HTC
I'm from Austria. If I offend you, it's usually inadvertently.
Snowmen army, Chemfuel Generator, Electric Stonecutting, Smelting Tweak

Swat_Raptor

Quote from: Thyme on December 09, 2016, 05:15:34 AM
Hauling Hysteresis allows to haul to Stockpiles only when it's less full than a certain, player-set level. Combine it with "Drop on floor" in Bill settings and you have what you want.

Sent from my HTC

Oh sorry I use another mod which conflicts with that one....

the mods for this game are nice but I want to see good options in the base game so I'm suggesting it here.

I just found out about drop on floor option, which frankly is a bit of a sloppy option, don't really want my haulers to freak out every time a rouge item gets placed on the floor so that they run over to grab only a few each time.

I think basic problems should have a reasonable base game solution.

niklas7737

Would be nice if we had another option between take it to the stockpile of the highest priority and drop it on the floor, that would make the colonist take what he just crafted to the next stockpile available (or even some kind of special storage rack maybe) where it would just wait until a full stack is ready to be hauled away.

schizmo

I always get frustrated when people come into the suggestions section and recommend mods. Obviously we all know mods are a thing, but that's not what this section is about. This section is about improving the base game so that Rimworld can be refined to perfection during it's development process. Mods break, mods are temporary, but improvements to core features are forever.

Thyme

When I suggest a mod, I don't only see it as workaround for missing features, but also as suggestion for Tynan. Whether to implement or get an idea. Both parts are important, because the development process might not focus on the desired features for a while.

Edit: Inserted a missing "not"

Swat_Raptor

Quote from: Thyme on December 11, 2016, 11:55:26 AM
When I suggest a mod, I don't only see it as workaround for missing features, but also as suggestion for Tynan. Whether to implement or get an idea. Both parts are important, because the development process might focus on the desired features for a while.

I agree that some mods make simple changes which make the game a good bid more enjoyable and maybe would be better as part of the main game.

however your original post didn't contain this thought, if you are promoting certain features as potential good additions to the base game then why don't you say that, your original post made you indistinguishable from someone who just throws out mods as solutions.

Thyme

Hauling Hysteresis has only that one feature (which I mentioned). Either way, I usually include the functions I'm talking about and expect the reader to understand it as suggestion for the game. I see no need to reinvent the world when somebody already has thought about a possible solution. I'm glad to give him credit for that. I see your point tho, this is not the mods section, I will try to be more subtle with dishing-out-mods in the future ;)

PS: Added a missing "not" in my post above.

Sent from my HTC