RimWorld change log

Started by Tynan, May 02, 2014, 01:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snowpig

How about making grenades limited-ammunition weapons then?

Ykara

Quote from: TynanThe Sapper raid strategy and pawn duties now basically work. The raid spawns with at least one sapper (who has grenades), paths into the colony through walls and avoiding turret fields of fire, and uses explosives and mining to pass any walls or other blockers in the way. Still lots of cleanup work to do on this.
Finally! I've waited so long for this!

Headshotkill

I feel as if next update will be one of the most game changing addition to date, and it will also mark the end of the killbox-era.

TLHeart

Quote from: Headshotkill on May 12, 2015, 05:21:27 PM
I feel as if next update will be one of the most game changing addition to date, and it will also mark the end of the killbox-era.

nothing a programmer can do to stop kill boxes... they are part of war, and survival...

Now if you mean the end of the auto, colonists do nothing kill box, that will be changed.

ZestyLemons

Quote from: TLHeart on May 12, 2015, 06:27:22 PM

nothing a programmer can do to stop kill boxes... they are part of war, and survival...

Now if you mean the end of the auto, colonists do nothing kill box, that will be changed.

I'm kinda confused when you say "they are part of war and survival". I don't think kill boxes are a thing in real life.
Help out with the wiki!

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Divaya/
Wiki: http://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/User:Zesty

Feel free to contact me about wiki questions or wiki admin stuff.

Kegereneku

To cut short on semantic war : remember that what we call Killbox in Rimworld and IRL are two different things.
One is the place an army agree to fire on, and not be in.
The other is a box made of stone, full of turrets and sandbag for the purpose of grinding dumb intruders into life-less loot.
(before being processed into food, clothing and chair as the standard procedure seem to be)
"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !

Boboid

Quote from: Kegereneku on May 13, 2015, 03:51:17 PM
(before being processed into food as the standard procedure seem to be)

Don't forget clothing. Always clothing. And chairs..
I'd turn them into barricades/structures/armour/weapons but you unfortunately can't use bones for anything.

To be clear though there's nothing wrong with cannibalism.. apart from Prion diseases. And the inconvenience of human skeletal structure when it comes to butchery :P
A prison yard is certainly a slightly more elegant solution to Cabin Fever than mine...

I just chop their legs off... legless prisoners don't suffer cabin fever

TLHeart

Quote from: ZestyLemons on May 13, 2015, 02:15:02 PM
Quote from: TLHeart on May 12, 2015, 06:27:22 PM

yes kill boxs have been a part of real life since man began fighting... a kill box is a zone, where the attackers are targeted from many positions at once, with little chance to fight back....

Now the automated kill boxes of rim world with the turrets, that is a different story, and one that could be defeated by an AI that would look to disable the power.

But there will still be players that insist on hiding behind an automated kill box, and just keep throwing resources at it, over and over and over.. And if that is how they want to play the game, so be it.  I prefer other approaches to defense, but they all involve kill zones, where I try and have the advantage.

I'm kinda confused when you say "they are part of war and survival". I don't think kill boxes are a thing in real life.

stefanstr

QuoteStarted: Enemy factions remember the locations of discovered traps and avoid them in future.
I hope this will only happen if someone from the faction makes it back home...

Barley

I think the closest allegory to a Rimworld killbox is a castle's outer keep. Once upon a time, breaching the walls of a castle did not mean it had fallen: The archer's firing ports were located on both the front and back of the walls, turning the area just inside the walls into a killzone.

Jstank

can we not call them IED's and simply call them land mines. I don't want to feel like a terrorist. :(
The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

- Bernard of Clairvaux

Boboid

Quote from: Jstank on May 14, 2015, 09:24:54 PM
can we not call them IED's and simply call them land mines. I don't want to feel like a terrorist. :(

They're not landmines. They're Improvised Explosive Devices.
They've existed for as long as humans have had access to explosives.

Trying to think of a good way to say this without being called an asshole for it..

If calling them "landmines" or even " Improvised Explosive Devices" is sufficient obfuscation to trick you into forgetting that you're blowing people up, you're not thinking about things in a complex manner.
A prison yard is certainly a slightly more elegant solution to Cabin Fever than mine...

I just chop their legs off... legless prisoners don't suffer cabin fever

Shinzy

why would you want to not think about blowing up people?
I vote for legplosives!

StorymasterQ

I prefer to think about blowing up dolls, to be honest.
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

Rainbow Evil

Quote from: Boboid on May 15, 2015, 01:24:43 AM
Quote from: Jstank on May 14, 2015, 09:24:54 PM

They're not landmines. They're Improvised Explosive Devices.
They've existed for as long as humans have had access to explosives.

Trying to think of a good way to say this without being called an asshole for it..

If calling them "landmines" or even " Improvised Explosive Devices" is sufficient obfuscation to trick you into forgetting that you're blowing people up, you're not thinking about things in a complex manner.

This. Not to get all political, but using something mass produced to blow people up and using something cobbled together from what you can get your hands on are no different. If anything, surely having somewhere mass producing weapons that cannot distinguish between targets and civilians is more immoral.

At the end of the day, it's a game and IED is an accurate description of what they are.