Intriguing
9 (34.6%)
Amazing
6 (23.1%)
MUST HAVE NOW
8 (30.8%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Kegereneku

A good way to prevent spamming those NWEB (Nearby Worker Enhancing Building) is to make other structure only accept the bonus from 1 NWEB of a type, in a zone similar to "same room" or how lamp are tied to electric grind.
"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !

DNK

Quote from: Kegereneku on March 25, 2015, 04:22:27 AM
A good way to prevent spamming those NWEB (Nearby Worker Enhancing Building) is to make other structure only accept the bonus from 1 NWEB of a type, in a zone similar to "same room" or how lamp are tied to electric grind.
Yes, this is a good idea.

That said, worrying about NWEB spamming... have you guys seen modern ICUs?

Seems the real world likes NWEB spamming.

New tangent. What I'd like to see in files is something like these:

<isNWEB>true</isNWEB>
<NWEBauradistance>10</NWEBauradistance> [how far it has an effect in the same room]
<auraeffectdropoff>true</auraeffectdropoff> [does its effect get reduced by distance or not]
<NWEBmultiplebonus>false</NWEBmultiplebonus> [do additional buildings of the same type have an extra bonus]
<NWEBeffects>
<li>
<medicalbonusfactor>1.10</medicalbonusfactor> [and whatever else we can think to affect] [this can be a malus too!]
</li>
</NWEBeffects>

Regarding multiple bonuses, I think the engine should make it so that while having two, say, medical trays (+5%) next to each other won't give 10% (if switched to "false" for multiplebonus), if they were also set to having a dropoff then they'd simply have a 5% ceiling per tile, so that if you were half the auradistance away from both (and let's say it's a linear dropoff) you'd have a 5% bonus since 2.5%+2.5% = 5% (but it would never go OVER 5%).

I suppose you could code that in by:
1) engine at startup checks all building files and makes a table of all bonus buildings and what skills they affect
2) when a skill is to be performed, engine looks up table, creates list of possible affecting buildings, then checks for any such buildings within the <NWEBauradistance> radius of the pawn, creating a list of all nearby buildings and their distance
3) using the <dropoff> tag (as above) and the bonus amount, engine calculates total improvement PER BUILDING TYPE:
3A) if multiple buildings of same type, engine sums up total impact and then checks if it goes over the base affect IF <multiplebonus> is false, if so it just sets it to base affect (creating a ceiling for the bonus)
3B) engine then sums up all DIFFERENT building bonuses as calculated in 3A
4) engine applies sum of all bonuses to task

A bit of coding work, but given Tynan must have about 50 coding NWEBs in his office by looking at how fast he's developing the game, I'd guess it'd take him 5 minutes to write :P

DNK

Another idea...

There's a malus for sight for night time (based on hour of day for now).

Lights create a bonus to sight to offset that malus (with a dropoff of course).

Now night fighting has a whole new dimension (as does working at night, which goes well with the new timetable based work order system).

hyperkiller

would it only allow 1 item to be effective or could i just mass place the items and a big bonus? or will the bonuses exponentially degrade after 1 (like 1st item is 100% effective, 2nd item would be 50% and 3rd be like 10%, ect?)

Quote from: DNK on March 23, 2015, 02:21:40 PM
Simple idea: buildings (like production/decoration/furniture) that improve worker efficiency/speed/quality within a given radius/room.

For example, you have a medical room with a medical bed. The bed already improves effectiveness, but wait! You've also got a "medical tray" in the room, which increases the effectiveness of any doctor working within 5 tiles. Also, you've got a "life support system", which increases the healing effectiveness/rate of anyone within 5 tiles.

Or, another example, you have a cook stove. Next to it you now also could have a "extra range", which increases your cook's speed by 10%, and next to that you have an "advanced cooking utensil container", which increases speed and quality by 15%, etc, etc.

The point isn't just to make things faster, but to create a new category of buildings (which modders can go crazy with) that serve multiple purposes:
1) obvious increase effectiveness of tasks
2) add something to decorate rooms fitting a given category (now a medical bay is more than just a medical bed)
3) add something that allows you to modularly improve your colony's effectiveness with lesser cost:benefit buildings
4) add something that gives additional research trees to allow the player to strategize more with his expanding colony's needs

PetWolverine

I'm not sure the examples mentioned in the OP really fit the idea. Something that would have an AoE benefit would be more like a stereo giving a boost to dancers in the upcoming "fun" feature.

A medical tray isn't AoE, it needs to be right next to the doctor who's using it, and only one doctor can use it at a time - so it maybe works better as a modular building, attached to the medical bed like how the ship cryptosleep chambers attach to the ship frame. Same goes for an extra range in a kitchen, I think.

Kegereneku

I don't think we need to stay stuck on Area-of-Effect equipment but it offer the most chance to apply for different use at once.

Imagine for example an addon on a kitchen that lessen the food needed to make a meal, even if it had another use we wouldn't know what to expect when put on another equipments.
However, a "worktable" that give a 10% work-speed (either to all structure around or only the production-table its directly attached to)...would be easy to guess.

That's not to say that "upgrade" for kitchen or else aren't also interesting, but it would be a one use structure, with less potential for synergy than the alternative.
"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !