colonists havef way too much moody crap going on

Started by fractal, August 21, 2016, 04:25:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kegereneku

Although I totally agree that a scientist shouldn't be "incapable of science"...

...leave some room for "possible character development".
I do want to play a vatgrow soldier who became a pacifist... change of mind, all that. Even a psychopath incapable of violence is ok. However I don't want a or a Navy Scientist who is incapable of science because of his childhood or other mutually impossible mix.

That's the sort of rework I see needed. (trait being checked for incompatibility and re-generated)
"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !

DariusWolfe

I agree with the possibility that even vatgrown soldiers can be sickened by death. For one fictional treatment, the Clone Wars cartoon show shows vatgrown soldiers with a wide variety of personalities, and they're all grown in the same vats.

In Rimworld, vatgrown can mean a lot of different things, in terms of the personalities it produces. Maybe they're grown in vats, but then raised up as brothers and sisters with familial relationships, as they're trained to fight, because the growers believe that emotional connections will make their soldiers fight harder. Maybe they're genetically stripped of emotions, and are psychopaths barely capable of speech.

Plus, as others have pointed out, there's the possibility that they were vatgrown soldiers who somehow transitioned to something else later in life.

I'm also really miffed by incompatible youth/adult backgrounds. I think that an adult background should override the youth one, at least in certain ways. Maybe if the background gives a bonus to a skill, it will override the youth background. So a youth background which forbids Research followed by a Scientist background will result in a character who is less effective in Research than they might have been otherwise, but is still capable.

Lightzy

So... forgetting about vatgrown soldiers and all that slightly OT discussion..

I don't think his problem is that the game is hard or that stuff doesn't make sense.
I think it's that there's simply too much focus on pawn mood and not enough other stuff for the player to toy around with.

In DF by comparison, mood is a thing but not the focus of the game, and at least in my games I've very rarely seen it become a serious issue. It's just another thing you deal with.
Not saying rimworld's supposed to be DF, but I'm agreeing that the focus on mood in the current alpha is a bit too much. But then, it's alpha.

SpaceDorf

I had more tantrum-spirals in Rimworld than I had in DF.
You are right here, I think the core of the problem is that the mood changes of the pawns happen to fast and are skewed in the negatives, where the mental breaks happen, again to fast.

Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Kegereneku

I really don't think we are anywhere near "too much".

Pawn moodsocial interaction are one of the few things that don't make them RTS robots. So I'm not saying we need more buff/debuff but social features put Rimworld above many other game (Like that one "Colony" game that was more sim-like)
The mood/social system should become much more

Total agree with DariusWolfe about the background partial-override.
"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !

codyjriggle

Quote from: SpaceDorf on August 22, 2016, 05:57:02 PM
You are right here, I think the core of the problem is that the mood changes of the pawns happen to fast and are skewed in the negatives, where the mental breaks happen, again to fast.

I think it would be great if all of the mood +/-s had a decay as this is more realistic.  Something with a 5-day effect should be nearly gone on day 4 instead of still having the same effect as day 1.