All non-human meat to be just meat

Started by Sbilko, October 08, 2017, 08:19:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sbilko

I suggest that all meat that is not human (e.g. prisoner meat, colonist meat, etc.) to be classified as just "Meat".

This would make stockpile logistics easier since you wouldn't have that little 4 pieces of Squirrel meat taking you a whole tile of space of your refrigeration room.

It would be ideal if there existed only 2 types of meat:
Human meat
Meat

Human meat has to be separate from Meat because Human meat has cannibalistic negative or positive (if cannibal) mood debuffs which normal meat doesn't.

In mid-game, when I have hunted many types of animals, my listing category of meat is very long. Unless I select the category list overview, much of the left corner of the screen is just various types of meat (and leather).

I think meals can be made from various types of meat, so it wouldn't affect the cooking part.

tonsrd

bottom right corner there a button that will shorted the list of things top left, ( meat )

I agrea the list can be overwhelming esp when u add mods that adds more creatures ( mega fauna, rimdinos ) the list can get even bigger,

make x simple meals from rice, then make fine meals 4ever. or pemmican 4ever, or packedaged meals. It will solve your meat problem.

pemmican / packed meals will last longer on carvan

SpaceDorf

HELL YES, again, to this suggestion.

But I would prefer if the meat is at least sorted by animal type.
The typical Red, White, Venison description ..

Large Mammals, ( sheep and upwards )
Small Mammals, ( rodents and stuff  )
Predators ( cats and dogs and lions )
Bird Meat
Reptile Meat
Insect(oid) Meat

also Beat the meat lets you mash meats together.

If you define meat by something that has been close to an animal, then yes, this saussage contains meat - C.M.O.T Dibbler
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Sola

+1.
-Human meat
-Insect meat
-Other meat

Human and insect meat carry moodlets with them.  Literally every other meat is functionally identical.
"This fine meal is made with boomrat meat and rice.  We can't let those stack with the deer meat and rice meals!"
Two tiers of construction jobs.  One for expensive/quality items, and one for walls/floors/etc.

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=28669.0

Lightzy

I disagree.

The benefit of making it all one thing is short-term for people who don't want to use the UI.
The benefit of keeping many different items there is long term. The fact that there are many variations enables you to make stuff that's more complex (even if needlessly). Just a few examples:

1) Cat meat being a rare delicacy in some village that you can get good trade value for when trading with that community
2) Pawns who think cows are a holy animal and will get stressed out if having to eat it
3) Some types of meat being generally healthier and more delicious than others (so health/joy effects?)

etc etc.
Don't dumb shit down for your convenience :>

asanbr

Quote from: Sola on October 08, 2017, 09:18:35 AM
+1.
-Human meat
-Insect meat
-Other meat

Human and insect meat carry moodlets with them.  Literally every other meat is functionally identical.
"This fine meal is made with boomrat meat and rice.  We can't let those stack with the deer meat and rice meals!"

They already stack like you said they cannot.

Worse even, pawns will put  1 human meat meal into a stack of 9 non-human meat meals, and then you have  a stack of 10 meals with human meat in them. (Normally, you don't want this to happen).

Limdood

There is a mod i use that combines many meats (It's called "Simplified Meats"):
poultry (all birds), beef (muffalo, cow, ibex), pork (all pigs), venison (caribou, elk, deer, maybe gazelle?), large game (megasloths, boomalope, any other larger animal not in the previous categories), small game meat (squirrel, rat, tortoise, hare, etc.), insect meat, and human meat.

It greatly cleans up my freezer.

I also use the "WM too many leathers mod" which does the same thing to leathers, organizing them into 18 tiers (18 is more than i'd like, but this mod doesn't change ANY of the leather stats, it just combines all identical statted leathers)

Wishmaster

Quote from: Limdood on October 09, 2017, 01:43:48 PM
poultry (all birds), beef (muffalo, cow, ibex), pork (all pigs), venison (caribou, elk, deer, maybe gazelle?), large game (megasloths, boomalope, any other larger animal not in the previous categories), small game meat (squirrel, rat, tortoise, hare, etc.), insect meat, and human meat.

It greatly cleans up my freezer.

I also use the "WM too many leathers mod" which does the same thing to leathers, organizing them into 18 tiers (18 is more than i'd like, but this mod doesn't change ANY of the leather stats, it just combines all identical statted leathers)

A combination of those 2 mods would be something that dynamically combines meats based on their texture and given thoughts.
pro: would support mods that add meat.
con: you may end up with very few different meats. (something like 4 ?).

SpaceDorf

Mod Reference without link .. that is evil.
For that one, I would suffer through five minutes of steam ..

kubolek01

Quote from: SpaceDorf on October 09, 2017, 07:15:21 PM

Mod Reference without link .. that is evil.
For that one, I would suffer through five minutes of steam ..
You hate Valve? Raid their HQ! Take the whole forum and take em out! ;)
Eat lead, walking pile of silver! (greedy Player)
I...I can't do it. Leave it alive, please!(inner soul)
It lives 200 years to end up as a jacket?!(realists mind)
If I would go to vacation in off-Earth, even fictional place, I'd choose Nibel.

SpaceDorf

Quote from: kubolek01 on October 10, 2017, 05:09:14 AM
You hate Valve? Raid their HQ! Take the whole forum and take em out! ;)

Naaa .. Hate would imply that I care  ;D
Compare it with bad weather, when you have to shop for groceries ..

Steam, Fogs your Memory and Clouds your Judgement :-D

freemapa

Instead of removing features during an alpha, it would make more sense to add a feature to fix this problem.

Why not add a "make Hamburger" option to the Butcher table?

It could take 12 of any meat and make 10 Hamburger, or something like that. If any positive effects were in the specific meats, they would be lost. Perhaps it would spoil faster, too. You could also have a version containing some human meat, with a chance of giving the debuff? Etc, etc, etc...

SpaceDorf

Quote from: freemapa on October 11, 2017, 08:08:04 PM
Why not add a "make Hamburger" option to the Butcher table?

Cannae haz Cheezburgers : but Steak, Sausage and Bacon.
Cab's Beat the Meat

This one turns every Butchered meat into Chicken.
Oblitus Animal Logic

Bolgfred

Basicly I think there is no point in having different kinds of meat at all as there is no diffrence between them. Except for human and insect, anything is the same so it could be put into all one kind. To make this count there would must be an attribute for meat types, like prepare speed, nutritions or preference by colonists.

On the other hand, for me the meat names are helpful for having an overview which hunting session were the most effective.
When I see something like 20-50 rat meat in my locker, I get remembered that I should stop hunting rats and rabbits, or that these goats were a very good choice as I am stilll swimming in their meat after one year.

All-In-All I'd say the whole food thing would need more love, which makes it unnecessary to change some single things about it.
"The earth has only been lent to us,
but no one has said anything about returning."
-J.R. Van Devil

freemapa

Quote from: SpaceDorf on October 12, 2017, 03:18:57 AM
Cannae haz Cheezburgers : but Steak, Sausage and Bacon.
Cab's Beat the Meat

This one turns every Butchered meat into Chicken.
Oblitus Animal Logic

Good call. These are basically what I'm talking about, but with a few extras thrown in. Maybe I'll try creating a "does just this one thing" mod. I've been wanting to get into modding anyway.