Bows: The Antichrist?

Started by Darkhymn, March 10, 2015, 01:01:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goo Poni

I always pictured Greatbows as these things.

Mainly because I played a lot of TTM and there were Longbows, Shortbows and Greatbows. I almost feel tempted to make an archery mod and having an actual greatbow.

EDIT:
I do think that the damage model does need tweaking. There should probably be a "CAN_SEVER_LIMBS: TRUE/FALSE" somewhere in the weapon files and it should really only apply to larger melee weapons such as longswords although even at that, I don't think your average man has the capability to hew an arm off in a single blow. It would be a messy affair and require several swings to hack through muscle and bone. Or it'd require a sword with edges so keen that it could be used in surgery. Swords of all sizes are typically used to slash, bludgeon or stab, not cut. Go watch videos of historical enthusiasts hacking away at ballistic gel. Your average blade would sink several inches deep before stopping. That assumes you're attacking a naked person made of consistent jelly. Add some clothes, a leather duster, some body armour underneath, skin, muscle and bone and you're really gonna have your work cut out for you trying to take a limb off, no pun intended. All of it would slow a blade down immensely and require either superhuman strength or an unnaturally sharp blade that should just not be possible for Joe Bloggs with 12 crafting to create on a generic workstation. .50 cal rounds do not simply gib limbs at the shoulder either or the base of the thigh, as happens in Rimworld. Catastrophic damage, yes, shearing limbs, no.

onarum

My only real problems with bows, apart the ridiculous range, is that they can actually damage and destroy a freaking steel constructed automated turret... seriously get a bow and arrow and try to put even a dent in any steel structure or apparatus with it.. you'll be there for a long long time with 0 results to show for it.

Even dudes with clubs messing a turret up makes more sense (not dudes with shivs though...) imo bows plus knives/shivs should be 100% inefficient against constructions of any kind, they SHOULD NOT be able to blow up a STEEL turret period, they should also be rendered useless by powered armor and such.

MsMeiriona

Quote from: onarum on March 15, 2015, 07:10:30 PM
My only real problems with bows, apart the ridiculous range, is that they can actually damage and destroy a freaking steel constructed automated turret... seriously get a bow and arrow and try to put even a dent in any steel structure or apparatus with it.. you'll be there for a long long time with 0 results to show for it.

Even dudes with clubs messing a turret up makes more sense (not dudes with shivs though...) imo bows plus knives/shivs should be 100% inefficient against constructions of any kind, they SHOULD NOT be able to blow up a STEEL turret period, they should also be rendered useless by powered armor and such.
remember they are improvised turrets, with likely many moving parts exposed. It doesn't matter if it's a stone, an arrow or a severed limb, something jamming a gear is bad news.

lusername

Well, if the turret example isn't working for you, they can also shoot and destroy granite mountainsides.

Goo Poni

This is the same game where any and all raiders can thrust their legless bodies at an object to set it on fire. I guess one must assume that they -all- carry a flint and steel.

Darkhymn

Quote from: Goo Poni on March 15, 2015, 11:38:56 PM
This is the same game where any and all raiders can thrust their legless bodies at an object to set it on fire. I guess one must assume that they -all- carry a flint and steel.

Also the same game where colonists will rush into a 600 degree room and smash their faces against a fire until they, too, are on fire, and then run around in circles screaming for a while.

Boboid

And the same game where every object is created on the spot with no tools and only the material required to make the basic framework.

Solar panels are totally just made out of steel.. right? And the steps from Steel->Working solar panel only take about.. 2 hours :P
A prison yard is certainly a slightly more elegant solution to Cabin Fever than mine...

I just chop their legs off... legless prisoners don't suffer cabin fever

Mikhail Reign

Well.. in the games defenes, the pawns do seen to have a welder or something - the flashes have to some from something.

Boboid

It's the sparks from their teeth impacting on the stone/steel.
A prison yard is certainly a slightly more elegant solution to Cabin Fever than mine...

I just chop their legs off... legless prisoners don't suffer cabin fever

Darkhymn

Quote from: Mikhail Reign on March 16, 2015, 05:37:46 AM
Well.. in the games defenes, the pawns do seen to have a welder or something - the flashes have to some from something.

It's my belief that these things are done with their mouths. They chew up rocks to make steel (I like that explanation more than "it was already like that"), bit rubble into bricks, melt stone with their saliva for mortar, and shoot flames from their mouths when they need to weld things.

NoImageAvailable

Quote from: Goo Poni on March 15, 2015, 06:51:19 PM
-Greatbows-

Now if only Rimworld had Z-levels, you could set up a base with the only entrance being a buttress guarded by two archers.
"The power of friendship destroyed the jellyfish."

Goo Poni

Quote from: NoImageAvailable on March 16, 2015, 06:39:48 AM
Quote from: Goo Poni on March 15, 2015, 06:51:19 PM
-Greatbows-

Now if only Rimworld had Z-levels, you could set up a base with the only entrance being a buttress guarded by two archers.

This being Rimworld, you'd probably need 8-10 archers just to stand a chance of one of them connecting. The others will fire in such bizarrely wonky direction, you wonder how they manage to not hit teammates beside them.

SSS

Quote from: Darkhymn on March 16, 2015, 02:43:33 AM
Quote from: Goo Poni on March 15, 2015, 11:38:56 PM

Also the same game where colonists will rush into a 600 degree room and smash their faces against a fire until they, too, are on fire, and then run around in circles screaming for a while.

This is way more amusing than it should be. xD

Sojourner

I have had experiences in games where colonist all tend to take one VERY SPECIFIC kind of injury, in a previous game half of my colonist all had their left eye shot out, I even replaced a few with bionic eyes and had one guy who had his eye shot out AGAIN.  Although one of the worst fates your colonist can suffer is brain scaring (my current game favorite kind of injury) where your colonist are debilitated to little more then potatoes, all abilities and walking speed cut by 50%

b0rsuk

For some reason in my last game I've seen around 4 people with the RIGHT leg chopped off by a sword. Not a single person with the left leg missing.

One of my guys had his right leg chopped off, then I installed him a bionic leg. There were pirates with two sniper rifles just outside my base, with some rock walls nearby. So I had the idea to send my Careful Shooter with the bionic leg and a charge rifle and flank the sniper up close. I did that, and HE SHOT MY HAND OFF while I was in hard cover. I was so pissed. Now I have the ship built for 14 colonists, and I think I'll wait some more before launch until I can buy him a bionic hand.