Reasonable colonists

Started by josmow, December 16, 2014, 09:11:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

josmow

A way to tell/automate your under clothed colonists to not go marching off into the winter wonderland to freeze would be great, a simple "its cold outside" button might be a bit too simple but if a colonist steps out into -20 degrees (F) and thinks *very cold* yet still trudges along without a care in the world aside from the onset of hypothermia and a (relative, i mean they are starting to freeze to death) low debuff of like -12 to their overall happiness. but a way to enable and disable this sort of thing would be useful. id rather not have a few of my colonists stuck on military duty inside the house while they could be doing other things inside. like doing my hydroponics or cooking, but instead want to go grab that one piece of metal on my 400x400 map, or clean up that piece of dirt on the floor of a cryoruin (had a thermo nearby so it claimed it -_-) same thing would appy to a battle, if you could tell your colonists to stay inside and not attempt to clean that newly applied blood splatter in your killbox, that would be great.

*i'm sure this has been said before at some point but with larger maps and temperature it became a bit more of a concern than in earlier builds*
Science might be an annoying b***h, but Magic is her slutty, drug-addicted cousin. Who enjoys screwing with your head.

^ warning! may contain ponies!

Snowpig

Colonists have to do stuff in order to survive. If you have the choice of getting some freezes or to die, you would not hesitate in front of -20°C  ;)

josmow

thats the thing, i have plenty of colonists, i just don't want them to just wander outside when someone with plenty of clothing can do the same and is available. its a tad frustrating during a huge fight to have to micro your workers while you are out trying to save them. they are truly lemmings, if each colonist had the ability to "toggle" if they were allowed to walk out during a firefight (like specific, "non useful" ones) to go fight a fire, that would be great, but having my best cook go try to put out a blaze inside the firezone is not ok. since the game knows when these things occur (preventing speed increases, for example) it would make it so that colonists would go seek shelter instead of jumping infront of your firing line to clean up some blood.
Science might be an annoying b***h, but Magic is her slutty, drug-addicted cousin. Who enjoys screwing with your head.

Snowpig

hmm, a sort of "flee" mechanic would be nice - something like: "if gun-wielding people are heading that way, run in the opposite direction."

mega

Honestly, what I would want is a closet.

Going out side, put on a parka.

Coming inside, put parka back in the closet for someone else to use.

josmow

actually a simple solution to the firefight problem would be to disable the cleaning tasks altogether during the time "control" phase of combat. any colonists that are not drafted just cant do any cleaning things during the fight which would prevent them from attempting to clean up the combat area.