Unstable build feedback thread

Started by Tynan, June 16, 2018, 11:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jchavezriva

Rescued people is still leaving the colony with almost extreme malnutrition.
They begin moving as soon as they are able to walk, no matter how suicidal the action is because of other factors.

Is that intended?...

jchavezriva

Oh and the Steam overlay that activates with shift+tab is not working in these and some previous builds, not sure if all of them. Already checked the properties of the game in the steam library and the overlay is activated...

Madman666

Quote from: Scavenger on July 09, 2018, 03:18:48 PM
Wait... Wtf? Why does a human bite do more than a lynx bite or a kick from most herbivores..? I had a llama as a kid that killed a coyote with a single kick to the ribs, now idk if he just rolled a nat 20, but that's way too strong for a human bite lmao. Hell, that's more damage than a Timber Wolf bite. I would knock it down to like 4 with a terrier XD

I did some research on it - wolf and warg bites are pretty damn scary in 1.0. Warg bite dealt like 18 damage to a deer and a wolf's wasn't too much weaker, so human bite isn't stronger than a wolf one. But yeah its way waaaay too much. A solid punch from most people would be way more scary than a bite... And imo only wildmen should really use such an attack. Since they are... you know. Wild.

BlackSmokeDMax

Quote from: jchavezriva on July 09, 2018, 03:22:19 PM
Oh and the Steam overlay that activates with shift+tab is not working in these and some previous builds, not sure if all of them. Already checked the properties of the game in the steam library and the overlay is activated...

Working fine here, and has throughout all of these builds.

How are you launching the game? You need to use the steam interface:
1. click play button on any of the in-steam screens.
2. launch via the steam installed desktop shortcut
3. right click on game in library and left click on "Rimworld 64 bit" or "Play game"

If for instance, you are just setting a short cut to the rimworld 64 exe, that will not work.

SchizoidCrow

Quote from: BlackSmokeDMax on July 09, 2018, 03:31:32 PM

It's working fine on my end as well.

Also:

Are these two supposed to appear together? I know it's a net positive, but it seems a bit contradictory.

gadjung

Quote from: ashaffee on July 09, 2018, 02:41:55 PM
Examples: want advanced furniture make 3 bed rolls and torches to unlock buff.
Electricity - Mine x amount of steel and components
Weapons - Create gun a gun with at least "good" quality.
Drugs - Bought/used x number of drugs.

Instead of that i think that 'disassembling' for some EXTRA research points would be better, but would need rather big overhaul in how research goes.
I think what needs to happen is that less often used research (firefoam, mortars etc.) aka situational things should be cheaper and general things you always take should take more time
Mortars are not situational, but i would say that this stuff is already cheap (though not saying it should be pricier).

Full recap:
- drug related : seems well balanced, need some dependencies between
- Tree sowing + cocoa : too much. it's not rocket science and takes more than 'AI Persuasion' or going from wooden swords to shotguns
- devilstrand: ok. would add extra research for processing
- carpets: ok
- beer: ok
- complex furniture: ok
- passive cooler: ok, would add as dependency for 'air conditioning'
- stone cutting: ok, would add research for electric powered station
- complex clothing: ok
- pemmican: ok, could lower a little even
- smithing further path: ok
- machning : to low. min. 1000+
- electricity : to low. min 1500+ (this and machining gives big boost to colony with possibilities that opens)
- auto-door : ok
- battery : to low. min 1000 (it's hard, it's important in some plays, and also provides quite leap in how colonies function)
- air conditioning : to low. 800-1000? it's 100points more than passive cooler.
- gunsmithing branch feels ok, but starting point for turrets is dirty cheap. i would reverse it more to have 'Gun Turrets - 2000/3000' and subsequent ones ~500-700. First it would allow for more diverse usage of them, second it's just the same turret but different gun. It should be hard to invent it on the first time (self targeting turret) and the next research should be added value, not reinventing from scratch. Also would make a choice to players, whether they want/need to postpone other research to make-up for lack of shooting capable pawns or not.
- prostethics : ok, but too simple, would split for 'limbs - 200/300' and 'internal bodyparts 500/600'. 'internal bodyparts' could be locked behind 'sterile materials' for more depth and complexity
- nutrient paste and packaged meal : ok
- electric smelting: ok, but tbh. who uses that as an efficient way of obtaining steel ? it feels like wasted research points, same as below
- electric cremation: 500 wasted points, that one researches out of boredom/nothing else to do.
- colored lights : ok
- geothermal : to low. it's complex, it's important, it's free energy, 2 of them can provide energy for medium sized colony with reserve. it hurts to write but i would put it with 3500-4000, since game just get's a lot easier with them.
- waterproof conduit : ok
- solar panel: for 2x more i can have 3,6k energy 24/12 - why bother now ?
- biofuel: ok, since mining everything around with deep drill have it's risk, it's reasonable for researching this to get chemfuel
- flak/smoke belts: ok
- mortars: ok
- medicine: ok but would add more dependencies for non-direct increase of required research points
- firefoam: ok, rarely researched by me. prefer stone walls and good anti-fire layout
- moisture pump : ok
- transport pod : ok, would add biofuel refining as required
- shield belt: to low. 2000 maybe ? or 1500 with smoke belt as prerequisite
- tube television : would put it tier lower maybe (before microelectronics), with little bit higher research cost (1200) there would be another ~early/mid-game choice to make
- sterile materials: ok, could be tier lower (before microelectronics), would add decision whether to buy new doctor or make better hospital floor, since by the time one gets to this, colony either goes well without this, or will collapse regardless.
- hospital bed: little to much,
- vitals : ok, even could be more (as compensation for cheaper hospital bed)
- bionics: too cheap, 2000 ?, or separate into limbs/internal organs same as proposed for prosthetics
- charge rifle : too cheap
- everything else from 'multianalyzer' branch : ok

Scavenger

Quote from: Madman666 on July 09, 2018, 03:27:02 PM
Quote from: Scavenger on July 09, 2018, 03:18:48 PM
Wait... Wtf? Why does a human bite do more than a lynx bite or a kick from most herbivores..? I had a llama as a kid that killed a coyote with a single kick to the ribs, now idk if he just rolled a nat 20, but that's way too strong for a human bite lmao. Hell, that's more damage than a Timber Wolf bite. I would knock it down to like 4 with a terrier XD

I did some research on it - wolf and warg bites are pretty damn scary in 1.0. Warg bite dealt like 18 damage to a deer and a wolf's wasn't too much weaker, so human bite isn't stronger than a wolf one. But yeah its way waaaay too much. A solid punch from most people would be way more scary than a bite... And imo only wildmen should really use such an attack. Since they are... you know. Wild.
I am looking at the numbers listed on the wiki, which is a Lynx-9, Wolf-11, Warg-12, Cougar-15. I don't know if they are outdated or something, but a bit of research yeilds a LOT of different results, but most common says a human has a average bite force of 160 psi

Human 160
Rottweiler 328
Cougar 350
Gray Wolf 406
Mastiff 556 (I have an old English mastiff, and her head is massive..  She weighs 180 lbs)
Bengal Tiger 1,050
Hyena 1,100
Polar bear/ Grizzly Bear 1,230/1,250
Jaguar(Panther?) 2,000

"Panther" seems to refer to different leopards, jaguars, or mountain lions depending where you live. Seeing as these are black, must be a Jaguar or Leopard. Either way, I am surprised panther seems to have identical stats to the cougar with such a large difference.

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

zizard

Due to the multi hit effect a scyther hit on the torso managed to amputate the waist. The colonist is ok with this but you should probably make the waist also not targetable for the slash effect.

gadjung

btw. why everything has now Shooting Accuracy stat ? even potatoes, helmets and granite chunks.

jchavezriva

Quote from: BlackSmokeDMax on July 09, 2018, 03:31:32 PM

How are you launching the game? You need to use the steam interface:
1. click play button on any of the in-steam screens.
2. launch via the steam installed desktop shortcut
3. right click on game in library and left click on "Rimworld 64 bit" or "Play game"

If for instance, you are just setting a short cut to the rimworld 64 exe, that will not work.

Oh, that is exactly what i was doing.

Thanks for the info.

Oblitus

Quote from: ashaffee on July 09, 2018, 02:41:55 PM
On crash landed it is worth it to not even build prerequisite things and just go straight for the highest tier weapon or power armor.
The problem here is that mid-tier stuff would be a waste of resources. As for now, there is simply no difference between stuff raiders and traders would bring you and mid-tier stuff you can make. Make decent leather clothes, pick any decent quality weapon and a flak vest from a raider and you are set almost as good as possible. All intermediate researches are nothing more than a pre-requisite for those ones that actually can make some difference. All mid-game crafting is primarily for money and training.

Also, there is no such thing as "highest tier weapon" in the current game. A medieval spear is the best you can get for melee, and "top-tier" charge rifle is only situationally better than junk-tier machine pistol.

jchavezriva

--    Root vs the raccoon
The raccoon expired.
Root bit the raccoon.
The raccoon attempted to chomp Root, but the swing went wide.
Root tore the raccoon.

"swing" shouldnt be used to describe a "chomp"

jchavezriva

I just went to rescue someone on a cold biome and found her with normal shirt and pants.
She waited there several days without issue but as soon as i arrive the hypothermia starts taking effect.

They should spawn with at least a parka or something...

DubskiDude

Syrchalis

Quote from: gadjung on July 09, 2018, 04:14:14 PM
- machning : to low. min. 1000+
- electricity : to low. min 1500+ (this and machining gives big boost to colony with possibilities that opens)
- auto-door : ok
- battery : to low. min 1000 (it's hard, it's important in some plays, and also provides quite leap in how colonies function)
- air conditioning : to low. 800-1000? it's 100points more than passive cooler.
Yeah this is not enough shifted IMO. I think electricity should be like 2-3k, then machining, battery and air conditioning can stay cheap, because they all depend on electricity. It is probably much easier to balance the game around these big gates than everything being close in research points.

It would also create a good interest curve. Long waits for the next tech level where you can expand the base, get resources, do missions etc. and rebuilding and upgrading once the next tech level is reached with constant new unlocks until you hit the next "gate".
For mod support visit the steam pages of my mods, Github or if necessary, write me a PM on Discord. Usually you will find the best help in #troubleshooting in the RimWorld discord.