So is it going to be 1.0 and done?

Started by Zombull, October 11, 2018, 03:16:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zombull

What does the future look like for RimWorld?

Will Ludeon continue developing and adding new features and systems?

Will we just get a smattering of bug fixes and then it's up to the mod community?

Maverik

I would like to have more official content, the mods are incredible but usually do not have great scope so do not usually add mechanics or systems.

But it doesnt look like Ludeon is gonna work 24/7 on the game right now, we probably get some stuff like QoL changes and maybe some new items but thats all.

pls tynan I want to give you my money, make a full size expansion

Canute

As long time player i think Rimworld is just the starting plattform.
Like Untiy is the grafical engine, Rimworld is the engine for many theme mods.
You can have a tribal theme setup, where no high tech exist or even a Mars colonisation where no breathable air exist outside.

If you can still can cheap buy rimworld now, do it, and spend the extra cash to support one of these modder.

Sure a Rimworld expansion with new features would be nice, like real z-level maps + movements.

Kirby23590

While i feel sad for the game coming out in October 17 near Halloween, with kids ruining around with spooky ghosts & skeleton costumes and some cowboys and princesses running around getting their costumes before the actual candy-fest starts.

I don't know if ludeon or Tynan himself would get volunteers or himself to continue development and create some content in the future of the game. Maybe there will be an unofficial or official community edition of rimworld that might show up someday in the future.

It's good for modders right now since they can continue working on their mods running in C# or any other types of coding software aside from XML.

However i hope this was a worth investment in rimworld, i'm proud of this game's achievements during early access with some ups & downs. I can say i heavily enjoyed this game but i don't know what ludeon or tynan might be cooking in the future... Maybe Rimworld II or some other new type of game, partying in the studio, i dunno? But heck i wanna know! ;D

Quote from: Canute on October 12, 2018, 03:02:45 AM
Sure a Rimworld expansion with new features would be nice, like real z-level maps + movements.
That's reserved for Rimworld II the sequel. ;)

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

vzoxz0

I'm sure I said this at some point already but Tynan will retire to a remote tropical island after 1.0 is released, never to be heard from again.

b0rsuk

Either way I imagine Tynan would want to have a break from Rimworld. Most game studios don't keep churning out the same game over and over, they need variety and to unwind a bit. And keep in mind working on something else can be a source of inspiration. Moral of the story: it's probably going to be a while before Ludeon releases new content for Rimworld.

Scavenger

Z would be amazing.. I've always wanted this game to just turn into the new better Dwarf Fortress haha. It already is in many ways. However, it is nice that does its own thing as well!
"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Kirby23590

Quote from: Scavenger on October 12, 2018, 01:02:39 PM
Z would be amazing.. I've always wanted this game to just turn into the new better Dwarf Fortress haha. It already is in many ways. However, it is nice that does its own thing as well!

Sorry! That's for Rimworld II the sequel, it it might show up... Well... In the year 2028... :P

kclace

He should just make paid for expansions. We'd all buy them and he'd make money. Win win right?

vzoxz0

I still say he's vanishing to a tropical island.

Kirby23590

Quote from: vzoxz0 on October 14, 2018, 01:05:40 PM
I still say he's vanishing to a tropical island.

Or going to hawaii and living in a tropical resort there, while in a fancy yacht... :P

Quote from: kclace on October 14, 2018, 10:13:58 AM
He should just make paid for expansions. We'd all buy them and he'd make money. Win win right?

Not sure though... I don't think it's easy making a real expansion pack. It needs something like new mechanics or something like water worlds or space travel, they would kind of be hard to make & time consuming as well...

But i'm going freak out & immediately jump in the train, if they announce such a thing. ;)

viperwasp

Here is what I expect from Rimworld...

Bugs to be crushed... Does not matter how often or how many bug updates come. I want to see some... and I hope they crush most bugs. In game like this bugs may crop up years later. But they will be rare. And not all may be patched. If they take years to appear then they are really uncommon and no big deal anyhow. Possible some could be patched by unofficial mod bug patches but I do hope that Devs work on bugs for several months or more at least.

Mods to grow, get better, and maybe more patches to make certain mods work together. Once the dust settles mod makers can probably focus more on quality of there mod. VS updating it all the time just to work with new versions.

Here is what I hope from Rimworld...

Same as above.... Except more content updates... Paid or unpaid I don't care... I DON'T want them to come in the next year. They need to be thought out.... worked on... the devs need a break at least.... and I want the dust to settle so we can get kind of a final product feel before the Devs may add expansion packs etc. 

But even if no more content comes this game is already worth it. And the mods just make it better. 

Thank you Devs and Modders!
•  Lian Li Lancool II MESH RGB
•  Intel Core i7-12700K Alder Lake 12-Core
•  64 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600Mhz
•  WD Black SN850 2TB GEN4
•  2x WD Black 8TB
•  Windows 10 OS
•  RTX 4080 GIGABYTE Gaming OC 16GB
•  Dark Rock Pro 4 (CPU Cooler)
•  TUF Gaming Z690-Plus- WIFI D4

zgrssd

Quote from: Zombull on October 11, 2018, 03:16:37 PM
What does the future look like for RimWorld?

Will Ludeon continue developing and adding new features and systems?

Will we just get a smattering of bug fixes and then it's up to the mod community?
Tynan pretty much answered all of those questions on Reddit months ago:
"This game can expand endlessly. That's it's nature. It's not a closed story like Portal 2. It's an open system endlessly moddable, expandable. You can always play longer, more colonists, more wealth, more colonies, more mods, again and again and again. There's always more to want.

So faced with an endless treadmill of requests, I must draw the line somewhere. But where?

Five years. I figure five years is a decent enough place. Five years are enough for $30. Five years are enough to call a game finished.

(Of course, it's great to suggest new things beyond that, but to demand a developer work more than five years on one game for one sale is not, in my opinion, reasonable. In truth I think any dev who does two years has earned his keep; five years is getting into ridiculous territory. Not that I'm complaining of course; I've always liked working on RimWorld.)

It won't be perfect, of course. Nothing ever is. And I won't even be finished with it. But - it'll be finished."
https://www.reddit.com/r/RimWorld/comments/7qh746/next_patch_will_be_10_confirmed_by_tynan/dsplgc1/

b0rsuk

I can see Rimworld working with Z levels! After a serious rewrite, and running on the 32 core, 64 thread AMD Threadripper.
(For lulz, read this post in 2023)

Shurp

I wonder what his next project will be.

I also wonder how long the modders will keep at it.

But at this point there is certainly plenty for everyone to play with for years to come, even without dev support.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.