Forbidden Construction projects cause stuttering and frame drops

Started by Trisscar, December 14, 2017, 10:47:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trisscar

Not completely certain if this counts as a bug or just something that might need tweaking. Also should note that I'm using a bunch of mods that may have made things worse, though once I remove the forbidden projects everything ran smoothly even with all the weird things I have around my colony.
As the title, I had three different instances of an object placed on the map and forbidden, but not built. This didn't immediately cause the stuttering issues, but over the course of a few real time days the stuttering at any speed grew to once every second or so. I suspect that lack of other construction projects and several idle colonists with the job assigned helped in that regard. Spent a bunch of time cleaning up redundant stockpiles and running RuntimeGC, which only helped for a few moments. Delete the three forbidden projects, and suddenly the game runs smooth as anything. *shrug*
Also, testing by making a few wall orders and forbidding them seems to cause the same issue, and deleting them resolves it, so seems to not be the fault of the structure in question.

Edit: at least temporarily it fixes things, now I need to go find what else is causing issues. *throws up hands*

Edit 2: Nope, apparently the culprit was my power network. I was routing it -through- a bunch of solar panels, and one side said it was generating someodd amount, and the other gave a different number for that. Though both said 5000 stored so... I dunno, this was the case for longer than the issue has been around, so maybe it'll appear yet again and I'll be back with another update.

Trisscar

Uggghh, ok. I think I found the reason why things are stuttering. Sort of.
After getting rid of redundant stockpiles, using RuntimeCG for cleanup, removing all potentially problematic objects, clearing blood and rock rubble, limiting the radius of forever-jobs, and a host of other things to try to remove the lag, I eventually tried turning off certain jobs entirely work-assignment-wise. From the looks of things, there is a hauling job somewhere in my colony that anyone assigned to hauling, including animals, trips over every 1-3 seconds.
And I have no idea what it could possibly be. The only things on the map that are forbidden at this point are a bunch of survival meals, which only have one place they can go, are there already, and weren't causing this issue in another save with a similar mod loadout (not to mention I tried un-forbidding them and that made no noticeable difference. The stutter doesn't exist at all when everyone is asleep as well, and only starts up and gets worse as animals and colonists wake up and start searching for things to do.
Nothing appears to be erroring in terms of objects with bills, and the dev log and file-based output log don't appear to have anything related to this at all. I've already tried removing all behavior changing mods along with any that I thought might add something that is bugged.
So I guess my question is, is there a way to track real time what colonists are scanning when it comes to jobs, so I can see what they're tripping over? Like a console of every action the game takes or something? Or is there another way to find the issue without backing up my save and then deleting things one by one till I find the problem?