Steam Key

Started by Aaron_Merric, January 24, 2015, 07:26:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aaron_Merric

I was considering purchasing this game, then I noticed on your faq that if I buy the game after 2014 I cannot be guaranteed a steam key so I can add this game to my steam library.  I think I will just hold onto my money until it reaches steam.  This makes me very sad as I love what I have seen on youtube videos and I would love to play for myself now.  :'(

Coenmcj

You could still purchase rimworld through the site, then add Rimworld as a non-steam game to your library, couldn't you? That would solve having it in your library
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

Mihsan

Quote from: Coenmcj on January 24, 2015, 07:35:39 AM
You could still purchase rimworld through the site, then add Rimworld as a non-steam game to your library, couldn't you? That would solve having it in your library

Owning game on Steam and just using Steam to launch it is not the same.
Pain, agony and mechanoids.

mightyhuhn

the auto update feature is very important and you always get the news about the game when you press on it.
a lot of my friends said the same. i talked about the game they looked it up on youtube and love it but didn't get it for the same reason Aaron_Merric got.

"i wait for a steam version"

Plymouth

Quote from: Mihsan on January 24, 2015, 07:46:32 AM
Quote from: Coenmcj on January 24, 2015, 07:35:39 AM

Owning game on Steam and just using Steam to launch it is not the same.

Oh the pains of the elitists xD

Quote from: mightyhuhn on January 24, 2015, 11:56:05 AM
the auto update feature is very important and you always get the news about the game when you press on it.
a lot of my friends said the same. i talked about the game they looked it up on youtube and love it but didn't get it for the same reason Aaron_Merric got.

"i wait for a steam version"

Btw, do they know how much steam takes off each sold copy? I don't but I think that it's not a small amount.

mightyhuhn

Quote from: Plymouth on January 24, 2015, 12:00:12 PM
Btw, do they know how much steam takes off each sold copy? I don't but I think that it's not a small amount.

if there wouldn't be a steam version i wouldn't be shocked they would just buy it.

REMworlder

Basically Valve doesn't allow developers to promise keys indefinitely. Here's Tynan's on it:

http://www.reddit.com/r/RimWorld/comments/2m90ma/why_wont_i_get_the_steam_key_if_i_bought_it_after/cm2iejg

Personally I don't miss not having the game on Steam. I just download Rimworld off my SendOwl link every month or two, extract it, and it's ready to play. I just copy-paste in any mods into the Mod folder. But I also bought before the cutoff, so maybe I'm just biased.

Aaron_Merric

All good points but when they do release for steam I can let steam handle updates, installation, and when I log into a new computer or format my own computer steam simply handles the installation and updates making it very convenient.  It just feels like they aren't offering the same product or level of customer treatment now that I am past the due date.