FTL: the game

Started by billycop32, June 01, 2016, 05:51:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mumblemumble

FTL was a damn good game. Small, relatively simple in mechanics, yet deep in tactics. Despite having most things semi simple, all of the combat aspects / everything else were rather deep, things like timing attacks properly, using the right combos of weapons, targetting which systems, ect.... Real fun.

I was always a fan of fire weapons, Short of drones they whoop ass, killing off crew and systems alike. Infact, final boss is very easy if you just light its innards on fire =)
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

billycop32

SPOILERS AHEAD IF YOU HAVE NOT BEAT FTL DO NOT READ REST OF THIS COMMENT

wait I thought that if you killed the crew of the flagship that an AI took over and began a automatic repair of systems just like the unmanned scouts do? so would't that make using fire-type weapons backfire?(espically sinse it would keep the missile turret alive. owwwwwww)

mumblemumble

Quote from: billycop32 on June 05, 2016, 11:52:08 PM
SPOILERS AHEAD IF YOU HAVE NOT BEAT FTL DO NOT READ REST OF THIS COMMENT

wait I thought that if you killed the crew of the flagship that an AI took over and began a automatic repair of systems just like the unmanned scouts do? so would't that make using fire-type weapons backfire?(espically sinse it would keep the missile turret alive. owwwwwww)
Yes and no. REPAIRS happen, however.

1: Repairs are extremely slow with this, repairs from 1 man are much more effective.
2: Repairs do not work on areas that are currently on fire. The auto repair also does not extinguish fire, So fires ACTUALLY disable it, as long as the fire is there
3: Oxygen production means fire NEVER goes out, unless the oxygen unit burns out. This means fire can just sit in areas of the ship, and doesn't burn itself out unless the entire ship has been engulfed
4: Most pawns will try to flea at low health, and might survive anyway unless you are trying to kill them.

So no, Fire pretty much beats the autorepair too, by locking down systems with infinite fire, it doesn't backfire, it straight up neutralizes it.

They are quite a bit like drones, except fire is useless on drones since there's no atmosphere for ignition inside them. While the boss has the perfect atmosphere to blow up.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

Shinzy

I thought the oxygen generator room wasn't in the second stage of the flagship, was it?

cause I remember losing the second stage with my boarding crew/ion/fire/laserbeam setup thing
but I'm not sure why I lost it ;D it was way before the big update, I didn't play too much after it
so I could remember wrong

billycop32

that is the door system bro.

mumblemumble

I think the oxygen was on the rear end of the ship, on all phases. So you could burn 80% of ship, and not have them go out, till the oxygen goes out.

-----

billycop32

yeah now that I think about it, if you start a 3 fire in the sheild room you could screw over the mothership. I'm gonna try that next time I get a fire weapon.

JimmyAgnt007

I loved to set fires and burn out the air.  Even during the main game its the best way to take ships intact.

Also, there is a mod that gives you endless play and minibosses at each new sector if you are strong enough.  No rebel fleet to flee so you can take your time.

Element4ry

I just want to watch things burn. And yes, I'm long time FTL addict too. Also, the vessel on the images is excellent boarding ship in this configuration. I had four mantis crew members to do boarding, but lost one somewhere in seventh sector. It was replaced by another guy in this sector as well, but it wasn't mantis. Still, this combo of equipment and crew did great job quickly neutralizing threats.

http://i.imgur.com/z3aVbwD.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/eR0dMMM.jpg

This mod you're talking about is called FTL: Captains Edition. It contains "endless mode" where you can roam around as long as you want.
·–·· ––– ··· · / –·–– ––– ··– ·–· / –– ·· –· –·· / –··–· / · ·– – / –·–– ––– ··– ·–· / –·–· ·–· · ·––