Scum thieving visitors

Started by facc00, April 09, 2016, 08:42:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

w00d

yeah this behaviour just annoys me and i am hoping there is a mod to fix this, the default behaviour of the visitors to come in, eat your food while still carrying their own and then leave even tho you had 0 other interaction with them is vexing. I just end up with cannibal colonies because of this, i suppose rude behaviour is the fall of society after all.

makapse

from what i see the visitors dont go too far from where they park so u just need to see where they park and have the fridge/farm faraway and out of their paths.

in my recent game, the visitors stopped raiding my fridge after i built a wall(a room actually) in front of the door they were using to enter the fridge, even when there was another door 20 steps to the side.

facc00

Quote from: makapse on April 13, 2016, 01:24:57 AM
from what i see the visitors dont go too far from where they park so u just need to see where they park and have the fridge/farm faraway and out of their paths.

in my recent game, the visitors stopped raiding my fridge after i built a wall(a room actually) in front of the door they were using to enter the fridge, even when there was another door 20 steps to the side.

I dont see that they go everywherre I dont want them....

ChimpX

It's been mentioned before by myself and others that we need a new Zone type for visitors to restrict their movement. They shouldn't be able to wander into bedrooms and disturb sleepers or eat my precious tynanberries.

If they want to buy food or meals, great. And why not make another option to designate beds for visitor use? They can pay to use my guest house after their long, wearying travels.

But if they insist on being rude guests I will totally keep dropping roofs on them or walling them in.

milon

Quote from: captiva on April 11, 2016, 01:18:59 PM
I am playing on an ice sheet and barely surviving and traders just walk up and steal all my food. If this isn't a bug, this is ridiculous. It does not matter if you forbid the items, or doors, they just do what they want.

Now the traders Muffalo are eating my meals.... This should be fixed.

This.  Ice sheet is fun, but it's also hard enough.  We used to have doors that could actually be locked.  I don't remember why it got changed to 'forbid' instead, but I think we need to revisit lockable doors.

mumblemumble

Locking might actually be interesting for tactics sideby side with forbidding,  locking doors meaning going through takes longer (unlock,  enter,  lock)  but can also defend against raids / keep visitors out... Would also make autodoors much more valuable if they made the process much faster.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

Shurp

One problem with locking: it's too easy for the typical sociopathic Rimworld player to unlock a door, let the traders in, then lock it and starve/bake/freeze them to death. 

It would be better to simply forbid traders from walking through doors at all.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

mumblemumble

Quote from: Shurp on April 14, 2016, 05:15:05 PM
One problem with locking: it's too easy for the typical sociopathic Rimworld player to unlock a door, let the traders in, then lock it and starve/bake/freeze them to death. 

It would be better to simply forbid traders from walking through doors at all.
first off,  this can already be done with walls so that is a moot point. I've done it even now,  then cooked them with heaters for no penalty.

Second,  you are rejecting an idea based on an exploit,  instead of saying the exploit is the problem.  If travelers detected they were trapped,  and broke their way out,  i would be fine with this,  surely if i got locked in a room left to die,  i would try to escape.

If it was done this way,  you could wall iff gardens,  freezers,  and anywhere important with lock and key,  while having no serious exploits.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

ChimpX

It's one of the oddities of an otherwise extremely smart game that visitors can't detect that the player has trapped them.

Their AI needs to be able to detect that, and they need to respond appropriately. Break/fight their way out (f'ing prisoners can do it) and then it's no different than if you'd attacked them straight up.

Also, caravans/visitors already clearly have radios - how else do you explain their Faction instantly knowing when you attack them? They should be able to call for help and/or inform home base if you trap them.

The issue for me is the internal consistency of the situation. It is so obvious and logical how things *ought* to work that it's annoying that they don't.

Plus I'll keep dropping roofs on you if you keep invading my base, you Muffalo shaggers

mumblemumble

Yeah,  would be pretty easy to program. Make them detect if there is a path to the map edge. If no path,  make a countdown which haults if path is opened (this way accidents are forgivable) and possibly if starving. If the timer runs out / they are starving while trapped,  they tunnel their way out,  and you face a small faction penalty for being a dick. Pretty easy to do i think.

-----

Shurp

Well, I was also thinking in terms of ease of programming.  It's much easier to program traders to not walk through doors than to program them not to steal your stuff, not to pass through locked doors, to run away if trapped, etc. etc.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

mumblemumble

Exactly,  but programming locks (already kinda in game) and fixing the exploit  would be much better than making them unable to enter doors at all by default,  not to mention that would cause more problems.

Exploit should EVENTUALLY be fixed as i suggested,  and if it was,  being able to lock individual doors would be just as easy and much more flexible

-----

RemingtonRyder

It's not just the visitors, mind, it's the caravan animals too. Those muffalos will quite happily trot over to your food hoppers and nom whatever scarce food you've put in there to keep the paste dispenser going.

I've got into the (some might say bad) habit of just using the debug menu to make the muffalos flee instead of letting them starve my colonists.

Endoric

haha you could start Bed and Breakfast in rimworld lol.

maybe an option for a visitor bed in addition to colonist and prisoner?

Shurp

True, a good fix would involve setting a zone for traders to visit, and your relations with the trading faction would be affected by what sort of accomodations you provide.  Take good care of them and feed them and your reputation improves.  Freeze them or drop a roof on them and suffer the consequences :)