Love the new combat system

Started by bwebster, August 14, 2014, 12:25:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeltaTango

Quote from: Rahjital on August 15, 2014, 04:11:04 PM
Quote from: DeltaTango on August 15, 2014, 03:57:25 PMA shot in the heart is not always a instakill but with that kind of injuries, you have to be wolverine to survive

Or a colonist in Rimworld. :D

Really, though, as long as you aren't hit in the brain or eyes, you don't even need medkits, just let the doctor stop the bleeding and it's all fine. The chance of wounds going old is 1 in 200, which is very very rare.

Hmmm if it's a scratch just bandages will do, but a gun shot? You need at least something to take the bullet out and a slightly steralized equipment for that because in that kind of evironment with no plumbing, no sewers, that's an infection waiting to happen.

HatesYourFace

Quote from: DeltaTango on August 15, 2014, 03:57:25 PM
Quote from: HatesYourFace on August 15, 2014, 03:00:13 PM
Here's a good example of a seriously injured pawn making a full recovery, This raider was shot 5 times with a pistol and 4 times with an R-4 charge rifle, she wasn't wearing any armor and she wasn't in cover.

This colony is only 20 days old btw, so not like it has a good doctor or anything. (Highest skilled guy has a 7.)

A shot in the heart is not always a instakill but with that kind of injuries, you have to be wolverine to survive

She is a vatgrown soldier to be fair lol. She's also a Surgeon who refuses to do doctor work. She's a puzzle wrapped inside an enigma and placed in a maze.
If you have any 2 of the following 3 things: Time, Interest, or Ability; Head on over to the RimWorld wiki and help improve/update it! http://rimworldwiki.com

Rahjital

Oh HatesYourFace, if there are any quotes you should not paraphrase it's Churchill's ones :D

Quote from: DeltaTango on August 15, 2014, 04:27:06 PMHmmm if it's a scratch just bandages will do, but a gun shot? You need at least something to take the bullet out and a slightly steralized equipment for that because in that kind of evironment with no plumbing, no sewers, that's an infection waiting to happen.

Yeah, that's how it should be, but unfortunately not like it is now when colonist don't even require treatment with half a dozen gunshots. With some luck, it will be like that in Alpha 7 though.

DeltaTango

Quote from: Rahjital on August 15, 2014, 04:58:33 PM
Oh HatesYourFace, if there are any quotes you should not paraphrase it's Churchill's ones :D

Quote from: DeltaTango on August 15, 2014, 04:27:06 PMHmmm if it's a scratch just bandages will do, but a gun shot? You need at least something to take the bullet out and a slightly steralized equipment for that because in that kind of evironment with no plumbing, no sewers, that's an infection waiting to happen.

Yeah, that's how it should be, but unfortunately not like it is now when colonist don't even require treatment with half a dozen gunshots. With some luck, it will be like that in Alpha 7 though.

Yes, I'm aware of that and Rimworld is still in an Alpha state. I believe sinks and toilets at least must be in the plan to be added. We just have to wait for now I guess.

Xanithas

Quote from: Rahjital on August 15, 2014, 04:11:04 PM
Quote from: DeltaTango on August 15, 2014, 03:57:25 PMA shot in the heart is not always a instakill but with that kind of injuries, you have to be wolverine to survive

Or a colonist in Rimworld. :D

Really, though, as long as you aren't hit in the brain or eyes, you don't even need medkits, just let the doctor stop the bleeding and it's all fine. The chance of wounds going old is 1 in 200, which is very very rare.

Not always,
I had a raid where one of the raiders got hit in the head he lost his eye by my improvised turrets. before my guys could get to him his would was considered "old" and I am positive he didn't have the wound before.

GeorgeOrwell

Quote from: UrbanBourbon on August 14, 2014, 05:38:01 PM
No one likes crippled colonists with no hope of ever being cured. Now, if there were technologies that required lenghty research, and you'd have the HOPE of eventually restoring colonists to full functionality, or even further, within the same playthrough, that'd be great. But we don't have that hope now. So, I'm off RimWorld. I'm shielding myself. You've been a nice drug and a distraction so far but this stage is just meh, even though I was pretty ecstatic and amazed while reading through the list of updates. Even if Alpha 7 rescues this current situation, it doesn't matter right now. A month off, a year off, doesn't make a difference to me. I'll stick with letsplays at most. Or Alpha 5... Uhh, I mean, I'm quitting.
I thought this post had some legitimate complaints, but after this point in it, I started laughing. I like the new combat system but I understand why you wouldn't. This response was hilariously overblown and melodramatic however. Especially since prosthetics have been confirmed for the very next update.

DeltaTango

Quote from: GeorgeOrwell on August 16, 2014, 05:23:40 AM
Quote from: UrbanBourbon on August 14, 2014, 05:38:01 PM
No one likes crippled colonists with no hope of ever being cured. Now, if there were technologies that required lenghty research, and you'd have the HOPE of eventually restoring colonists to full functionality, or even further, within the same playthrough, that'd be great. But we don't have that hope now. So, I'm off RimWorld. I'm shielding myself. You've been a nice drug and a distraction so far but this stage is just meh, even though I was pretty ecstatic and amazed while reading through the list of updates. Even if Alpha 7 rescues this current situation, it doesn't matter right now. A month off, a year off, doesn't make a difference to me. I'll stick with letsplays at most. Or Alpha 5... Uhh, I mean, I'm quitting.
I thought this post had some legitimate complaints, but after this point in it, I started laughing. I like the new combat system but I understand why you wouldn't. This response was hilariously overblown and melodramatic however. Especially since prosthetics have been confirmed for the very next update.

If Rimworld was already a finished game I could understand his complaints, but at this stage? I can only imagine he doesn't know what alpha means. And instead of helping the development of Rimworld by making constructive criticism or suggestions, he just says he's quitting. I can't understand that kind of people. It's like going to the beach and not wanting to get sand on his body. It's an alpha, it's normal to have some mechanics unbalanced, some bugs. Like we say in my country, the people that are here are the ones that matter.

UrbanBourbon

Quote from: GeorgeOrwell on August 16, 2014, 05:23:40 AM
I was perfectly aware that prosthetics were coming in A7! You missed the point, which is that a month is a long time to play with a game that has a major flaw in it. They really should've skipped this update, code in the prosthetics as well, tweak the damage distribution and health recovery, and push A6 to September or further.

null

Quote from: UrbanBourbon on August 16, 2014, 11:58:20 AM
I was perfectly aware that prosthetics were coming in A7! You missed the point, which is that a month is a long time to play with a game that has a major flaw in it. They really should've skipped this update, code in the prosthetics as well, tweak the damage distribution and health recovery, and push A6 to September or further.
Well, just keep playing alpha 5 until prostheses are added then. No need to keep everyone on alpha 5, though.

bwebster

OP here, this topic blew up a lot more than I expected. I just want to clarify, it's more accurate to say that I love the stories that come out of the new combat system, rather than the system itself. I think it's a huge step in the right direction, but as many of you pointed out it also has parts that need to be fixed. I certainly wouldn't call it a major flaw. Some of the occurrences seem unrealistic, but in my opinion its a vast improvement over the colonists and raiders soaking up bullets like it wasn't a big deal back in previous versions.

Merry76

Quote from: bwebster on August 16, 2014, 06:46:47 PM
OP here, this topic blew up a lot more than I expected. I just want to clarify, it's more accurate to say that I love the stories that come out of the new combat system, rather than the system itself. I think it's a huge step in the right direction, but as many of you pointed out it also has parts that need to be fixed. I certainly wouldn't call it a major flaw. Some of the occurrences seem unrealistic, but in my opinion its a vast improvement over the colonists and raiders soaking up bullets like it wasn't a big deal back in previous versions.

Its not bad that topics blow up. It means it touches a nerve or something.

I guess if the damages get regulated a bit (the bit about the squirrel and the broken jaw... that was my first "injury" at all in this version so I used it as example. The stone throw taking off a leg was not my experience, it was a mate of mine who got it), and the prostetics are in... The game might be alright again.

That, and the RNG taken down a notch. Currently, it seems to do a random to see if the target is hit, and then a random to see where it hit. So a incompetent weaver could score a headshot just as likely as a grizzled vat grown soldier. This can of course work, but is a bit RNG heavy as I wrote before.

In real gun-combat, scoring a "center mass" shot isnt as difficult as scoring a headshot. Its still awesomely difficult, if there is return fire (something Rimworld doesnt give a damn about). It would follow that badly skilled shooters would "aim" to hit center mass, and good gunmen shoot for the vitals/head (given the right weapon of course... you are not very likely to go headshotting with a minigun). This means a "5 cm" off shot for a good shooter that aimed for the head might get him a grazing wound and stunning the opponent, while a center mass shot of a bad shooter that goes "5 cm off" would still hit the bigger target, but wouldnt have nearly the same effect as the grazing shot to the head. Also, a layman shooter would more often shoot more than 5 cm off target. Skill comes into play two ways that way :)

Goo Poni

One of my friends commented that at this point, the game is almost punishing you for playing because if you don't have a doctor with 20 medicine, they're bound to mess up injuries and people will slowly become more crippled until RNG takes away their leg. I name the original three colonists after myself and friends so seeing myself or a friend stuck in bed for the rest of the game is depressing to look at.

TechTreeMinami gives a medkit called Regenulant which forcibly heals all wounds that aren't grayed out but I also just use save editing to whisk away injuries from heavily wounded colonists who can't use the Regenulant themselves and then edit away a dose of the stuff.

SSS

Quote from: Neurotoxin on August 15, 2014, 08:27:23 AMWhile I don't think limbs SHOULD be directly shot off by pistol shots, if the wound is bad enough the arm may need to be amputated anyway. Not arguing, just making that point.

I have another for the list though, raiders (or colonists) walking away from a headshot.

I would like to point out that it's possible to survive a bullet to the brain. It's incredibly rare in comparison to the number of headshots that are fatal, but it does happen fairly often in real life. Many times the actual bullet is left inside the brain because it would be too dangerous to try to remove it. Given that not all headshots are shots to the brain, and that surviving brain shots doesn't seem to happen often in Rim World (in my experience), it's pretty darned realistic.

That's not to say it doesn't sting when a colonist is one-shotted by an expert sniper. It is what it is. I'm not perfect in this regard myself, but I think people need to stop expecting to be able to play without any losses. People get hurt and die, you know? If you have to restart a bunch of times to get through a raid without any deaths or cripples, it probably wasn't meant to be that way. You could always lower the difficulty if that bothers you for some reason.

Btw, I like the new difficulty curve in the "default" (Cassandra w/Challenging). It's starts out really easy, quickly turns into manageable threats, and by late game you actually have major threats to the colony. Even at that, so long as you loot your enemies and don't make bad tactical decisions, it's very do-able.

Quote from: Goo Poni on August 30, 2014, 01:55:43 PM
One of my friends commented that at this point, the game is almost punishing you for playing because if you don't have a doctor with 20 medicine, they're bound to mess up injuries and people will slowly become more crippled until RNG takes away their leg. I name the original three colonists after myself and friends so seeing myself or a friend stuck in bed for the rest of the game is depressing to look at.

Yeah? Medicine is an important resource, so I think that's the point. You can always buy it off traders. (They all carry medicine, but it's cheapest with the weapon's dealers.)