Tailoring

Started by ahowe42, September 01, 2016, 05:46:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ahowe42

Has anyone seen a situation where a colonist has some job at sole highest priority, and yet he refuses to do it?  I have a guy whose only 1-priority task is Tailoring.  His crafting is <fire><fire>9.  There is a backlog of stuff on the Tailoring bench bill.  Yet, he does anything but tailor (he's currently meditating).  Any idea what gives?

Thanks!
Andrew

carbon

If I'm not mistaken, only one person can be assigned to work on a particular bill (e.g. "Make parka") at a time. So if you've had a bunch of part time tailors come through and start work on the bills (by making an unfinished parka, etc.) and then walk off to do other things, that can prevent your full time tailor from being able to do stuff.

Other problems could include:
1) You don't have enough of one particular textile to use for the task.
2) You disabled using the textiles you actually have in the bill details.
3) You accidentally forbid all your textiles.
4) There's something immovable blocking the workstation spot.
5) They decided that material things are a burden on their journey to enlightenment. /s

ShadowTani

I experienced a couple situations recently where my pawns would ignore certain tasks they where supposed to do before other things, this was in regards to construction once and hauling another time. "Unfortunately" it seems to be corrected after restarting the game and I haven't been able to reproduce it so far. I dunno if what you're experiencing is something similar to me.

I was however able to manually tell them to prioritize, but then they would just only do that one thing, so it was kinda a bother when you had a whole section of walls to build.

ahowe42

Quote from: carbon on September 01, 2016, 06:27:01 AM
If I'm not mistaken, only one person can be assigned to work on a particular bill (e.g. "Make parka") at a time. So if you've had a bunch of part time tailors come through and start work on the bills (by making an unfinished parka, etc.) and then walk off to do other things, that can prevent your full time tailor from being able to do stuff.

Other problems could include:
1) You don't have enough of one particular textile to use for the task.
2) You disabled using the textiles you actually have in the bill details.
3) You accidentally forbid all your textiles.
4) There's something immovable blocking the workstation spot.
5) They decided that material things are a burden on their journey to enlightenment. /s

Thanks carbon.  I know a few of those are not the case, but will check the others.  Re. your #5, when winter really comes and they have no parkas because nobody bothered to make them, we'll see how enlightened they feel :-D.

Andrew

OFWG

Quote from: carbon on September 01, 2016, 06:27:01 AM
If I'm not mistaken, only one person can be assigned to work on a particular bill (e.g. "Make parka") at a time.

I believe you're mistaken about this. It seems like I've seen multiple "in-progress parka" or whatever by different tailors around my single tailoring bench. I'm happy to be corrected if I'm imagining things though.
Quote from: sadpickle on August 01, 2018, 05:03:35 PM
I like how they saw the naked guy with no food and said, "what he needs is an SMG."

ThiIsMe007

Quote from: OFWG on September 01, 2016, 02:07:13 PMIt seems like I've seen multiple "in-progress parka" or whatever by different tailors around my single tailoring bench.

I can confirm this happening in my games too.

carbon

Are you sure we're talking about the same thing?

I don't doubt there's multiple unfinished projects by different colonists around a single bench (which has multiple active bills).

I'm talking about there not being two colonists working on the same exact bill/work-order. Usually, once a colonist has begun work on a bill, the bill will display "Worker: PAWNNAME" and no other colonist besides PAWNNAME can work on that bill until the project in progress finishes.

-----

If you have one "Make Parka" bill at a bench, then you should have no more than 1 unfinished parka at that bench.

If you have five, separate "Make Parka" bills at a bench,  then you can have up to 5 unfinished parkas at that bench.

----
At least, that was the standard behavior as of A13. I haven't gotten far enough in A15 to confirm it's still the case, but I'd be surprised if it has changed.

MisterVertigo

Select your colonists that you have set to be a tailor, and then right click on the tailoring bench and force him to work at it. If you are out of materials or something like that the menu will tell you. If you don't get a menu at all, then it's like was posted above and something is blocking the bench, or maybe it is not powered.
"In vertigo you will be..."

"Relax, people. It's a teeny indie game; don't kill it with love." - Bozobub

carbon

Power shouldn't be the issue (unless bugged). It just improves work speed.