Can I prevent bug infestation?

Started by Petrini, April 29, 2016, 07:57:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Petrini

As title says: Can I prevent bug infestation?
Would smooth floors (or any other floor type) work?
Would lights work?
Would building walls work?
All of the above in combination?

Listen1

Am too interested in this, as well as replacing Thin roof for constructed tile.

Aatxe360

Drop the overhead mountain and replace it with constructed roof should work.

Innese

Since bugs only spawn under tiles that have 'Overhead mountain' the easiest way to not get infestations is to prevent any tile like this from existing. (Though that means no deep mining)

As for the person asking about thin roofs, in the past you could designate those as a no-roof zone, then remove the designation, and a constructed roof would be built.

Grizzlyadamz

Building walls to completely fill in the space would work.

b0rsuk

Building in the open completely prevents it.

Bairne

I just had an infestation pop up (4 hives initial) in my freezer buffer... it's a thin rock roof/mostly constructed roof. It doesn't have a single tile of "overhead mountain."

I am annoyed, and I'm really hoping these a non-cheating way to prevent this.

Edit: Ugh...  I figured out why. In the middle of my freezer, several tiles away from where the bugs spawned (probably due to the freezer being full,) there is a single tile of "overhead mountain."

makapse

the bugs cant come when the temp of the spot is below -17C when its a overhead mountain so thats a good way to avoid the infestation in ice sheets

Grizzlyadamz

Huh, that's really quite useful makapse. Just operate a freezer colony and no more infestations. Parkas are less dangerous than bugs after all.

b0rsuk

Quote from: makapse on April 29, 2016, 11:59:44 PM
the bugs cant come when the temp of the spot is below -17C when its a overhead mountain so thats a good way to avoid the infestation in ice sheets

Eeeeewww, really ? This means they WILL target my living rooms and workshops, no matter how much I mine  in my boreal forest colony! New trend inmy colony: everyone's getting 1-2 traps in his room.

b0rsuk

WOW! My bulkhead doors strategy works like a charm! Next infestation with 3 hives is in remote mining corridors, and I was careful to scatter stone doors here and there.

Jorlem

I've had good luck with a combination of choke-point bulkheads, and a diversionary mine. 

For the former, I've been digging my tunnels out three tiles wide, instead of two, and every so often narrowing it down to one width in the middle with a stone door.  When I get bugs, I can gather them far back on the other side of the door, have a guy with a shield open it (with it set to be held open), then jump out of the way.  The bugs come at my colonists through the one tile wide opening, and get mowed down by focused gunfire from around ten colonists.  (Most have assault or charge rifles, with a sniper or two mixed in, which hits and aggros one bug at a time from deeper in the hallway.)  Once the bugs are dead, I send in a squad of four or five melee guys to shred the hives ASAP.

The diversionary mine is just what it sounds like, a deep mine that isn't connected to my base.  The mine itself is as big as my base, so when bugs spawn, there's a decent chance that they'll spawn somewhere I don't care about.  Then I just cook them with molotovs and incendiary launchers through bulkheads like the ones in my base proper.  Once the bugs die to the heat, I deconstruct one of the walls next to the door to vent it to the outside, and send a team in to smash any remaining hives.

rmurdocci

What about Dev Mode tools? Can I disable bug infestations from the Dev menus?

Grizzlyadamz

Dunno, but you could always just kill the bugs & delete the hive.