C# Development other than Visual Studio .Net

Started by SpaceDorf, March 14, 2017, 09:49:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpaceDorf

Are there any other Good! C# Editors out there that are less anyoing and invasive than .Net ?

Something more lightweight with less featuritis and with a better work/loadtime balance ?
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

RemingtonRyder

I use Xamarin. There's probably something even more lightweight than that.

RawCode

.net is framework, not compiler.

you cant compile c# for openJDK or squirell

SpaceDorf

Sorry RawCode,

you are Right of course ... I was referencing to the Microsoft Tool, that is called Visual Studio .net ..

And I am aware of the differences between a software framework, development software and the actual compiler ..

RawCode

you should upgrade your PC instead, xamarin won't magically allow you to compile instantly or perform instant searches over large lib.

actually it have inferior performance compared to VSexpress and only reason you may need to use - it's open sourced and written in c# and you can perform any changes you may like.

Leonapp

I use Sharpdevelop. Really good and the rimworld wiki guides are basicly made for using sharpdevelop!

SpaceDorf

@RawCode Yeeeah that upgrade is not going to happen anytime soon ..

I am not looking for a solution that magically speeds up searches or compiler time ..
I am looking for an IDE or DevTool that not magically kills the performance of my .. slightly oldish machine .. while being clunky and and overweight with features I don't really need ..

It's like using Photoshop .. when all I need is paint.

BlueMarble007

Hold up. @MarvinKosh, You use Xamarin? Which version of the .NET-framework do you use? I thought 3.5 was required because of Unity, while Xamarin demands a minimum version of 4.0. Am I messing up somewhere?

vietarmis

Although it's also MS, you can use VS Code. IIRC, it's a fork of Atom.

You can still use msbuild with it, it just doesn't have as many project features as Visual Studio.

RemingtonRyder

I can use 3.5 in Xamarin, but it's not the default (see screenshot).

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]

RawCode

it does not matter what version you are using in xamarin, game will use 2 (3.5), and due to relative stability of CIL itself, in most cases code is downward compatible, but there are few exceptions

BlueMarble007

Unfortunately I'm using a Mac, on which it's not possible to develop .NET 3.5 with Xamarin. Does anyone have any suggestions for compilers or IDE's?

RawCode

uninstall your macos and get windows\linux as only or additional OS