Allowed into multiple areas at the same time.

Started by harvalikjan, September 03, 2015, 01:56:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

harvalikjan

I have made areas like inside, inside+farm, Pasture+farm,...
It would be much more elegant solution to allow me to select (holding ctrl?) multiple allowed areas, so I can select an individual to be allowed into Inside | farm | Freezer and so on.

Result:
1) Use less areas -> less "boring" work for gamer
2) Any time you want to change 1 area you now have to change all those other combinations.

BTW: Why are the areas and animal areas? "Human" areas can overlap so this makes more mess than sense.

Thank you for great game, now let's make it better.

Toggle

Because human allowed areas and animal allowed areas are different. And really, you could just make a new area, drag it over those 2 areas you want them allowed, barely any work, hardly 'boring'.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

harvalikjan

They are different, but why?

Areas are almost never simple squares.

I have got at least 6 basic areas, and some of their combination.

My dog starved to death because I forgot to add "Hay storage" to "Kennel" area.

Toggle

They are different by design, why would they be the same? Colonists != tamed animals. Why would you have so many different areas, such as hay storage and kennel areas being different? I have a basic area for colonists, my indoors base, and for animals I have their roaming area and then their indoors area.

CB elite

Quote from: harvalikjan on September 03, 2015, 02:57:44 PM
My dog starved to death because I forgot to add "Hay storage" to "Kennel" area.

Guess you learned to not forget that Hay storage in your Kennel area from that experience ;)

Early game is always somewhat tedious with all of the zoning that is required. I'm sorry you find it "boring", but there are plenty of individuals who prefer to have some micromanagement options over having simplicity... Once I get some decent zones set up for tamed animals and colonists, I'm able to let my colony do its own thing until a raid or global event occurs; having variety is more useful in the long run.

Quote from: Z0MBIE2 on September 03, 2015, 03:04:36 PM
Colonists != tamed animals.
Dork! ;D

harvalikjan

I'm not sure if you fully understood my proposal. All I want to do is to keep areas separate and allow individuals into multiple areas based on their job (Hunter = Inside | farm | nearby,..)

Also I don't understand the difference in animal/colonist areas.

Toggle

Animals can use animal areas. Colonists use colonist areas. What do you not understand?

harvalikjan

What I don't understand is why is that distinction even there? If that is the only difference I don't understand it's purpose. Shouldn't it be up to player to set up those restriction. If I want my wargs on patrol with my soldiers, I should be able to simply add "patrols" to the list of the wargs.

Toggle

Because animal and colonist areas are usually different, and instead of having if you had several areas for both cluttering up the areas for animals and colonists, they have separate.

bills6693

I agree wit the OP. I have to zone 'Indoors' and 'Colony' twice, once for animals and once for humans. I don't see why animals and humans can't be allowed the same areas. And its not 'just dragging a box', both of those areas are complex shapes with lots of random corners etc.

And as the OP says, it would be a lot better to be allowed to allow multiple areas simultaneously in a colonist. I don't see how that at all simplifies the game, it just eliminates busywork. If for example you didn't want most colonists to access the prison but you did want your wardens to, you could have the prison zone separate rather than have to drag one box for all of colony, on for colony+prison, one for indoors, one for indoors+prison etc. Just as an example. I personally don't use much complex zoning (Indoors, colony limits, and farm) but I still think this could be useful and would only serve to cut out pointless extra work for no added game play value.