Ludus - fitness club

Started by Yoshida Keiji, May 09, 2017, 06:07:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yoshida Keiji

I would love to see in game a ludus where your characters can train their combat skills and improve their health and physical shape. I want to be able to assign a "fat" pawn to do exercise and after a year s time or two see the same character but shredded. Having a healthy life shall also improve many of his/her status.

And as time passes by improve the furniture to gym machinery.

milon

That's an interesting idea. Fitness could be tracked similarly to skills, and would degrade over time if not being worked on in some way. It would also provide more for pawns to do in mid/late game when you've got more free time.

O Negative

Very interesting. I don't know if we need to go adding new stats or skills like fitness, necessarily. You could just make it a hediff.
As a machine is used by a pawn, the healthUtility can be used to add (if not currently present) and increase the "severity" of the new hediffs.
Hediffs can easily degrade over time, and can be easily monitored in the Pawn's health tab. I personally feel like this would be the best option.

Exercise can positively affect a person's general health in a lot of realistic ways.
Pawns that have these hediffs could easily be given positive mood buffs as another form of reward for their healthy lifestyle.

Here are a few relatively simple suggestions:
Treadmill

• Pawn stands on machine and faces whatever direction the treadmill is set
  • No animation required, just play a noise of someone running on a treadmill or something
  • Adds/increases a hediff that positively effects: Moving (Max offset < 1.4)
Yoga

• Pawn "stands" on yoga mat
  • No noise required, just have pawns go into random orientations every now and then? Maybe?
  • Adds/increases a hediff that positively effects: Manipulation (Max offset < 1.4)

They sound a bit silly, now that I reread them, but I'm still fond of the OP's idea :)

I'm not in any way suggesting that this has to be the way it's done. Just throwing out some ideas :D

Perq

While it might be a nice touch of relaxing and entertaining activities (just like playing pool, watching stars and so on), it shouldn't be very impactful on pawns (just like playing pool and so on). Simply because it would be another stat to min-max for almost every single pawn in your colony.

Bare in mind your colonists aren't (all) super soldiers or athletes. Some of them are elderly, weak or damaged. Some might simply be unwilling to exercise and would instead drink beer or go for a walk in their free time. While annoying, this gives them identity, instead of being blank slates that has to be filled with min-maxed stats.
I'm nobody from nowhere who knows nothing about anything.
But you are still wrong.

Hans Lemurson

Exercising should also increase hunger.  People starving on an ice sheet shouldn't be able to maintain a burly physique.
Mental break: playing RimWorld
Hans Lemurson is hiding in his room playing computer games.
Final straw was: Overdue projects.

Avarsepe

Tynan already got a ton of flak for having gays in rim world, just imagine how much he would get from having fat people be less capable as you suggested "shall also improve many of his/her status."

SpaceDorf

Since it is a jobtype some Pawns could be incabable :-D

Or get a mood debuff.

Also I like that you want to call it a ludus .. this would open soooo many possibilites for prisoners and wild animals
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Yoshida Keiji

I got more creative after posting actually, we can also suggest these as background in character creations. Like for instance, there's "game developers"...who might be sitting in front of a computer 24/7...so it would be a lot of fun if: Shooting, Melee, Construction and Mining would have minus skill points. lol. These aspects could only be improved after pawn adulthood lol, but of course, mature stage is not something players can orient characters to develop...a pity...

I don't like society's taboos or stigmas or prejudices, which is one of the main reasons people live in fear due to the different or unknown. If creative people like game developers cannot inspire us, we are in trouble. I still remember Sid Meier's civilization IV disclaimer:

"When determining which seven to include, we picked those religions that we thought would be most familiar to our audience. We do not mean to imply that these religions are more important, better or worse than any other religions.
We offer no value judgments on religion; we mean no disrespect to anyone's beliefs. We're game designers, not theologians."

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]

Yoshida Keiji

Quote from: SpaceDorf on July 18, 2017, 11:00:21 AM
Since it is a jobtype some Pawns could be incabable :-D

Or get a mood debuff.

Also I like that you want to call it a ludus .. this would open soooo many possibilites for prisoners and wild animals

I loved the TV series Rome and Spartacus...when I saw in game the clubs...couldnt help to remember the Coliseum... Prisoners beating each other at it...causing mood buff due to entertainment lolz. We would be going full at capturing pirates hahaha...

Lowkey1987

This ...is a good idear!

Something like body health. I mean... my tribesmen consume mainly pemmikan. Sometimes dried meat (medieval) and also good soups (also medieval). But some off them going on a eating franzy. Or working the whole day on one table.

It didnt need to have such an inpakt. But something like "-5% movement = out of shape" would be okay. You can combine it with unbalanced diat. Perhaps it take month to gain it, and also month to lose it.

Yoshida Keiji

Yes, and characters diet solely based on meat should get cancer while vegetarians shall live longer. Im not a vegan and I'm into body building but...game wise...should be fun.

Lowkey1987

This is a little step to far, in my opinion. Its a thing which mods can do.

First we need something like "health" but.. on a long term. To get this little health buffs and cons. And for this, the game needs to track food consumption. Which...could be a problem because its need CPU power etc. But..perhaps a dev looks at your suggestion and thing "aaahh... i have another idear for a breakdown: Same food for 50 days!"

SpaceDorf

Quote from: Lowkey1987 on July 18, 2017, 11:55:00 AM
This is a little step to far, in my opinion. Its a thing which mods can do.

First we need something like "health" but.. on a long term. To get this little health buffs and cons. And for this, the game needs to track food consumption. Which...could be a problem because its need CPU power etc. But..perhaps a dev looks at your suggestion and thing "aaahh... i have another idear for a breakdown: Same food for 50 days!"

You would have to track not only the food, but also the ingredients.
Because getting this breakdown for 50days of fine meals seems like a very dwarven solution.

==== getting a bit Off Topic now ====

50days without beer on the other hand could seems like a possible reason for a colony wide breakdown spiral.

Which leads to the perfect new event : Beerhunters !!! Endless numbers of short hairy creatures enter your map. They break into your kitchen and drink all your beer. On their way they will ignore everything else.
Every creature that consumed more than three beer will puke all over the place, then leave the map peacefully.

==== Back on topic ====

after rereading the original post I still like the idea of a training facility but not the way it is suggested.

Yes it should be a possible joy activity for pawns who like such a thing but when forced to do it the traits should be
considered and some pawns just don't like this kind of stuff.

-Again OT - I am of the same oppinion as Yoshida here considering food and diets, but I still dislike sports.
I tried and I do some calisthenics to keep in some shape .. but I don't gain pleasure from it .. this is a stable fact of my life
for over 30 years now .. ---

I would prefer the real deal Ludus for training pawns. Or as it is known in modern language : School, Training Facility, Dojo or Bootcamp.
There should be a skilled pawn capable of teaching others.  And as Body Builder you allready know if you just do it, without proper instructions, you are as likely to hurt yourself as you are of actually gaining something.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Yoshida Keiji

...and something I have been keeping for myself aaall... this long... here in Japan, rice = sake :D