Ruins

Started by Cr0ssley, October 18, 2015, 01:33:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cr0ssley

I know I know there are already ruins in the game but hear me out.

I was thinking like large complexes with items still in there. Guns, food, materials.
The Complexes can be used as part of your base. sometimes enemies can be found in there, as-well as prisoners that you can rescue, in turn they will join your colony.
You will be able to see the complexes from the world screen. They are more common near the other colonies (like the "Killers" or such like).

If you think the idea can be improved reply you idea.

Selonianth

Personally I somewhat like the idea, but possibly just adding stuff to be found in existing ruins would make more sense than adding new big complexes, which would just give people excuses to not build stuff themselves.

REMworlder

I think Seloniath raises a good point, which is keeping Ruins from being just a pre-made base. Mods already exist that do this and it seems to take much of the base building component out of things. I agree with OP, though, the current version of ruins is kind of boring.

BetaSpectre

Quote from: REMworlder on October 18, 2015, 01:06:14 PM
I think Seloniath raises a good point, which is keeping Ruins from being just a pre-made base. Mods already exist that do this and it seems to take much of the base building component out of things. I agree with OP, though, the current version of ruins is kind of boring.

Link to mod maybe? I don't remember pregenerated ruins, the closest thing were big nuclear explosions raining from the sky.

As for the idea, we have cryo pods, with stuff in them, it only makes sense that colonists wouldn't ONLY have pods, and instead also have furniture and items around them for you know rebuilding or surviving.

Pre-generated bases mean pre-generated turrets. it'd be cool to see these things, but with current map sizes it'd have  to be small. Unless ruins are their own biome. Which would be cool as well.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

Selonianth

Ruins as a biome could be cool, with the idea being that most of the resources are already spent so you have to use what you have/do more salvaging as opposed to mining.

TLHeart

The miscellaneous mod adds additional ancient ruins with items in the ruins.

Selonianth

It's more that it should be a standard game feature that ruins are more useful than just as ways to accidentally kill your colonists if you don't think or sources of stone blocks.

Haplo

I have indeed a map generator which creates small ruin villages from blueprints in Miscellaneous.
You can also add your own buildings, as I've added a small tutorial file describing how it works.
With the blueprint you can make really complex buildings. I've realized right now buildings like complex labyrinths, hacienda, small hospital room,...
They also may house items and/or enemies :)

LouisTBR

I think maybe a 'Historic Settlement' would be interesting. When you pick your landing location, it should tell you that this square has a settlement on it already. A couple of items surrounded by buildings, like a small colony you would find yourself making. When these buildings are explored, you may find interesting items and commodities, but you may also find some surviving settlers/mechanoids!
Only in RimWorld is the phrase "31 Heavily-Armed Siegers are currently bombing your base" preferable to "50 manhunting squirrels are attacking your colony"

BetaSpectre

Quote from: Louisthebadassrimworlder on October 20, 2015, 02:09:19 PM
I think maybe a 'Historic Settlement' would be interesting. When you pick your landing location, it should tell you that this square has a settlement on it already. A couple of items surrounded by buildings, like a small colony you would find yourself making. When these buildings are explored, you may find interesting items and commodities, but you may also find some surviving settlers/mechanoids!
I wish I could drop on a raider settle ment and raid them xD!
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

LouisTBR

Yeah, me too, Beta. One day...
Only in RimWorld is the phrase "31 Heavily-Armed Siegers are currently bombing your base" preferable to "50 manhunting squirrels are attacking your colony"

Selonianth

A lot of us want that. Maybe to kidnap/rescue our colonists back on top of it.

skullywag

Rikiki also added premade structures to his mining co stuff. Laser fences and everything. Theyre fun but yes they do remove the need to build most of your base....if you want a base that looks like that...
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?