Glad this isn't DF

Started by Lerxst, March 14, 2016, 12:16:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lerxst

I just recently tried the game for the first time. I spent a good 4 hours on it (most of a Saturday) since all these games like to compare themselves to that game. THANK GOD this game isn't like DF!

I love the concept and idea behind Dwarf Fortress, but I just can't do it. I can't stare at ASCII characters and pretend I'm seeing something. That grew old in about 1992 and I'd like to think we've come further than that in 20+ years.

Rimworld has done it right. The depth is there and the character development is detailed and... it has graphics! I never considered myself a graphics "snob" (obvious since I play Rimworld) but it's amazing how little pictures on the screen completely change an experience.

I spent months playing some of the original SSI D&D games as a kid along with Tunnel & Trolls on the PC (IBM Compatible... remember that??). Very simple graphics, even for their time, but they made up for it with walls of text that described everything in detail. I can do that! I can accept that. I just wish DF would at least try something similar... even some friggin' stick figures! :)

DF might be a good game but... so painful to look at... so much to absorb... too much to take in... still have a headache.

TheGentlmen

You can use one of the tilesets that come with the Lazy Newb Pack like me. Makes the game easier to get into.

Coenmcj

I'm fairly similiar, I'm always functionality > Aesthethics, however. I just can't play DF, even with graphic packs on, cause I just can't find myself agreeing with them, or even the UI/Controls, Which is saying alot... (I play alot of text-based games)

Personally, I feel like it's lazy, having content is all well and good, and from what I've heard it's an amazing game that I still want to get into, but until they do atleast some work on updating it to the 21st century (Hell, even the older CIV games had decent graphics for it's time. Pong/Asteroids even.), I doubt I'll ever be able to play it.
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

Sharp

I am a gameplay over graphics guy. Graphics are important but gameplay is much better. DF is a hard game to get into but can be very rewarding, but the style isn't for everyone.

You can play DF with StoneSense for a different perspective but it takes a lot more processing and not really easy to play with (since the last time I played with it in 2014). It's very doubtful it's going to change though.

Game developers like Toady and Steve Walmsley (of Aurora 4x fame) are different from most others in that they develop games they want to play purely for playing the games themselves, they don't have the need to try and get more players so if they are happy enough with the UI and the graphics then it's unlikely to change no matter how many other people want it changed.

TheGentlmen

Speeking about Aurora 4X, it was a fun game until one of my fleets froze mid air. Then I sent the rest of my fleet at it to try to merge them and to get them to move.

POOF. They both disappear. After 10 minutes of cursing at the screen, I rage quite and since then I'm yet to touch the game.

I should probably try the game again.

Lerxst

I'll give the Lazy Newb pack a shot, thanks.

Even as a guy that spent years playing MUDs in the mid-90's, the DF interface just seems like a complete mess to me. I'd almost rather read a wall of text and type out my commands than fumble my way through shortcuts, menus, cursors, lists and commands.