[1.3] Map Reroll (2.7.1) - Pick your starting map

Started by UnlimitedHugs, March 28, 2016, 05:23:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UnlimitedHugs

Quote from: Sebastian Cigar on March 04, 2017, 02:04:59 PM
Hey, thanks for the quick response. I'm glad I could... help? I didn't want to put any pressure on you, it's not a crucial thing at all, I can't imagine what it feels like to maintain a mod that really seems like a must-have for this game. I'll be sure to follow your advice, thank you again and best of luck with the development

Reports are always welcome, since I can only fix what I'm aware of- and in the end everyone benefits. It's actually pretty quiet between alpha releases- which to me means that I did good and the mod is working as intended.
Thank you, and good luck with the thing- I could lend a hand if if doesn't work out.
HugsLib - AllowTool - Remote Tech - Map Reroll - Defensive Positions: Github, Steam

UnlimitedHugs

Updated to 1.5.2

Hey folks, got a few minor changes for ya.

• Rerolled maps are now deterministic. This means that rerolling will always produce the same sequence of maps if your world seed and starting tile are the same. This should help if you come across a great map and want to share it with someone.
  • Issues with the misplaced interface should now be fixed. This used to happen when GUI scaling was above 1x. This should also resolve the issue of the missing button some of you have been experiencing.
  • On rerolled maps, colonists will now remember their pod landing- this should allow for a full art collection if you're aiming for that.
  • Last but not least, I included the Chinese translation contributed by yuriok on Github.
HugsLib - AllowTool - Remote Tech - Map Reroll - Defensive Positions: Github, Steam

UnlimitedHugs

Updated to 1.5.3

Added a compatibility patch for Crash Landing. Both mods should now play nicely together.
This version is still for A16.

Aedesia

I found a mountain map with two complete rock edges, but when I reroll it with your mod all the results have only one or zero rock edges (~30 rerolls). I was curious why this happened so I started looking through your code and discovered this section:

private MapGeneratorDef TryGetMostLikelyMapGenerator() {
var allDefs = DefDatabase<MapGeneratorDef>.AllDefsListForReading;
var highestSelectionWeight = -1f;
MapGeneratorDef highestWeightDef = null;
for (int i = 0; i < allDefs.Count; i++) {
var def = allDefs[i];
if (def.selectionWeight > highestSelectionWeight) {
highestSelectionWeight = def.selectionWeight;
highestWeightDef = def;
}
}
return highestWeightDef;
}

I suspect what's happened is that the other generators do less standard things and by only using the most likely one you've removed the possibility of reroll creating some interesting maps.  I was wondering if you'd be willing to consider an alternative implementation like stepping through the different generators with each reroll?

UnlimitedHugs

Quote from: Aedesia on May 18, 2017, 04:51:01 PM
I found a mountain map with two complete rock edges, but when I reroll it with your mod all the results have only one or zero rock edges (~30 rerolls). I was curious why this happened so I started looking through your code and discovered this section:
I suspect what's happened is that the other generators do less standard things and by only using the most likely one you've removed the possibility of reroll creating some interesting maps.  I was wondering if you'd be willing to consider an alternative implementation like stepping through the different generators with each reroll?

Right now there are only 3 map generation profiles- the basic map, basic with shrines, and the faction base- which means that something else is affecting the choice of filled or clear edges. Not sure what it is, but I could look into it.
Also, thank you for reminding me about this function- in A17 the mod would no longer have to guess about the generator to use for the reroll.

Aedesia

I've got a number of mods running but I think you'll be able to find the spot with the seed "orange", 50% map coverage 1 step towards rain, 1 step towards cold, at 38.70, 47.23 A16

UnlimitedHugs

Updated to 1.6.0

Why hello there, dear rerolling enthusiast! ;D
Just in time for your shiny new A17 colony, here's your good ol' Map Reroll.
I've done some spring cleaning on the code base, and in the process added a new feature- loading a game from a save will no longer prevent you from rerolling your map.
Hope you have a good time.

UnlimitedHugs

Be advised that the current version is causing issues while attacking/visiting bases. You can deactivate the mod if you are experiencing problems.

A fix is being investigated.

UnlimitedHugs

Updated to 1.6.1

The issue that was preventing faction bases from generating should now be resolved.
A few other minor bugs were also fixed.

UnlimitedHugs

Quote from: Aedesia on May 18, 2017, 04:51:01 PM
I found a mountain map with two complete rock edges, but when I reroll it with your mod all the results have only one or zero rock edges (~30 rerolls).

So, I looked at the terrain generator, and it looks like there are no special cases for filled map edges- neither in A16, nor A17. Which means that the best bet for more shapely rock formations is to pick more mountainous areas.
Also, here's a nice map that I ran in while testing stuff yesterday :P

BlackSmokeDMax

Quote from: UnlimitedHugs on May 26, 2017, 08:08:09 AM
So, I looked at the terrain generator, and it looks like there are no special cases for filled map edges- neither in A16, nor A17. Which means that the best bet for more shapely rock formations is to pick more mountainous areas.
Also, here's a nice map that I ran in while testing stuff yesterday :P

LOL, wow! Did you happen to reveal it all to see how much was actually mountain?

UnlimitedHugs

Quote from: BlackSmokeDMax on May 26, 2017, 11:47:51 AM
LOL, wow! Did you happen to reveal it all to see how much was actually mountain?

Didn't stick around long enough to find out. Here's another good one, though.

DenVildeHest

First of all Great mod! This is something that should be in the game.
I do have a small issue though:
I've got a funky bug related to map rerolls and smooth walls. They will look messed up depending on load-order- Smooth walls has to load first(above). They work fine together with the correct load order.
Output_log
Video of the issue
I notified the author of smooth walls as well

UnlimitedHugs

Quote from: DenVildeHest on May 31, 2017, 03:10:28 PM
First of all Great mod! This is something that should be in the game.
I do have a small issue though:
I've got a funky bug related to map rerolls and smooth walls. They will look messed up depending on load-order- Smooth walls has to load first(above). They work fine together with the correct load order.
Output_log
Video of the issue
I notified the author of smooth walls as well

Thank you for taking the time to make such a detailed report.
This issue is caused by the approach the game takes to saving walls, stone, and similar things as it tries to compress them down. Changing the order of your mods mid-game can mess up these compression maps, if a mod makes use of them.
What Smooth Walls could do is set saveCompressible to false- wouldn't be as efficient, but the walls would work regardless of mod order changes.
Hope this helps.

DenVildeHest

Okay no problem it was just a heads up, didn't know if it was something that needed fixing. I relayed the information to the author of smooth walls so he can consider it.