[1.2] Sparkling Worlds - Glittertech on the Rim

Started by Albion, August 29, 2017, 10:09:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canute

I am bit pragmatic with names.
I am prefer SMG MK2  instead HK 3001 (Red Dot) or howerver their reallife counterpart is named.
Why not Albion 4500  (4500 from the range).
Btw. your railgun is together with the Railgaun from Misc. Core my favoured sniper weapons. Good range and damage with an acceptable warmup/cooldown.

About the event,
ok i didn't do it because i don't like to caravan much.
But you wrote it was similar to the diplomatic event, so i though just faction gain no other reward.

gentou

Please can you make Blue Moon corp drop less weapons or retreat faster when they face casualities? Because whenever you'll destroy their raid game becomes way too easy with couple of power armors and every colonist having a charge rifle.

Canute

That is a common problem at the Rimworld gameplay.
Special when people use the mending mod and don't "loose" valueable eqipment anymore.
At last the first few encounter of the blue moon should be challenging.
Sure Albion could add a "destroy on drop" tag to weapons and ..... but basicly this issue appear for any weapon/armor/faction mod with superior stuff.
Maybe add the faction from Chicken plucker too, then you will encounte Vehicles and Tanks you will need these stuff.

gentou

The guns can have a high chance to drop in a state, in which player can ther only smelt them, or have to invest resources and technology to make the functioning.

They might also be a diferent kinds of raids, as:

Reconing parties - early game small parties, armed width charge rifles, and light guns, retread once they lose ~10% of squad.
You might get a gun or two from them untill they decide to run away, will attack poor colonies.

Assault parties - medium to large sized enemy parties, with more rocket and grenade armed units, so they can pose a real threat to fortifications.
They also may have a highter lose threshold before retreating.

As for the siedge parties, i have no ideas. They are too easily countered with player's motars anyway. Maybe a siedge unit which is reinforced by an assault party?

Canute

But this kind of mechanic's currently don't exist.
Weapon and armor allways drop, thats why these Deathman flag got added someday.
Ohh yeah, that would be fun if all raider's would got Doomsday launcher instead of assault rifles.
And Siege's are easy anyway except you play on very large map, when you need a day to travel. I allways assault the siege group, and snipe them once their material get droped in.
I never build a mortar.

Albion

I'm actually already planning to reduce the number of raiders for Blue Moon Corp while making each one more deadly.
The current plan is to increase their stats (specifically shooting) with a temporary health modification that goes away after a while.
That way each raider will be more dangerous and deadly so I can reduce the total number of raiders per raid.

I try to keep a balance of risk vs. reward and if one survives a Blue Moon raid it's okay if they are rewarded with good loot.
In regards to balance this mod is intended to be balanced to the vanilla game. Using other mods with superior weapons/turrets or the mending mod will obviously screw with this balance and might shift it in the players favor.

Having the guns drop differently than they do now would require a lot of c# coding and is not easily achieveable. I'll leave that as it is for now and rather focus my attention on things I can create more easily.

Regarding the different kinds of raids I think the current point system works fine with less wealthy colonies getting smaller raids and extremly wealthy colonies getting swamped.
However I'm considering to remove the ability to siege from the Blue Moon Corp so they will always attack directly instead of sitting around, waiting to get shot.

What do you think about this idea of a temporary health buff?
I'm currently taking a short break from modding after releasing the last content patch. I'll be back to making new content once I played through the new Battletech strategy game. However I'm already planning new content/patches as you can see from the health boost idea.

Umbreon117

Quote from: Albion on May 01, 2018, 07:11:16 AM
I'm actually already planning to reduce the number of raiders for Blue Moon Corp while making each one more deadly.
The current plan is to increase their stats (specifically shooting) with a temporary health modification that goes away after a while.
That way each raider will be more dangerous and deadly so I can reduce the total number of raiders per raid.

I try to keep a balance of risk vs. reward and if one survives a Blue Moon raid it's okay if they are rewarded with good loot.
In regards to balance this mod is intended to be balanced to the vanilla game. Using other mods with superior weapons/turrets or the mending mod will obviously screw with this balance and might shift it in the players favor.

Having the guns drop differently than they do now would require a lot of c# coding and is not easily achieveable. I'll leave that as it is for now and rather focus my attention on things I can create more easily.

Regarding the different kinds of raids I think the current point system works fine with less wealthy colonies getting smaller raids and extremly wealthy colonies getting swamped.
However I'm considering to remove the ability to siege from the Blue Moon Corp so they will always attack directly instead of sitting around, waiting to get shot.

What do you think about this idea of a temporary health buff?
I'm currently taking a short break from modding after releasing the last content patch. I'll be back to making new content once I played through the new Battletech strategy game. However I'm already planning new content/patches as you can see from the health boost idea.
Health boost? I don't mind the idea of it. I am doing a CE playthrough with a lot of mods. Having a enemy that is supposed to be advanced be tougher biologically would be a great idea. If it comes out I should be able to test it heavily.
I'll shoot your colonists...After a long nap.

Canute

Quote from: Albion on May 01, 2018, 07:11:16 AM
Wouldn't it worked when you create a Blue moon only weapon set, and tag them with destroyon drop and notrade.
So only Blue Moon would come with them ?

And maybe an additional idea, doing a modcheck for Mending mod, and when it is active, all weapons/armor should be at full repaired for all attackers.
But maybe this idea should better goto the mending mod itself.

But the basic idea to buff of the attackers not their weapon's is a good idea.
Maybe let your blue moon spawn with some drugs too, so they use them at the beginning.
Blue Moon on Go-Juice with Gauss-Rifle and Power armor, scary.

Albion

Quote from: Umbreon117 on May 01, 2018, 08:06:25 AM
Health boost? I don't mind the idea of it. I am doing a CE playthrough with a lot of mods. Having a enemy that is supposed to be advanced be tougher biologically would be a great idea. If it comes out I should be able to test it heavily.

I'll get back to you on that once I finished the update. I wouldn't expect to be finished before next week though.

Quote from: Canute on May 01, 2018, 08:23:12 AM
Wouldn't it worked when you create a Blue moon only weapon set, and tag them with destroyon drop and notrade.
So only Blue Moon would come with them ?

But the basic idea to buff of the attackers not their weapon's is a good idea.
Maybe let your blue moon spawn with some drugs too, so they use them at the beginning.
Blue Moon on Go-Juice with Gauss-Rifle and Power armor, scary.
Having weapons only available to them is an idea I played around with too but I'll postpone it until I implement glitterworld spacer raids. I don't want to create guns just for the Blue Moon Corp.
On that note: I plan to create a rare spacer raid with even deadlier pawns and tactics. Maybe a simultanious solar flare to shut down killboxes using turrets.

Regarding the combat drugs I noticed the chance for Blue Moon raiders to spawn with combat drugs is rather low. I'll increase that with the next content patch.

gentou

Life is a funny thing. I whinned about BM raiders being too weak, and the next one completly obliterated my defense line with 4+ Doomsday launchers.

Health boost would be a great thing, maybe also some uniqe buffs which will increase movement speed and accuracy.

QuoteIn regards to balance this mod is intended to be balanced to the vanilla game. Using other mods with superior weapons/turrets or the mending mod will obviously screw with this balance and might shift it in the players favor.

I use only CE + CE Guns, nothing too exotic. By the way, CE shoutguns are the only thing that allows me to take out the BM raiders early on without suffering too many casualities.

nefarian11

Quote from: gentou on May 01, 2018, 07:25:01 PM
Life is a funny thing. I whinned about BM raiders being too weak, and the next one completly obliterated my defense line with 4+ Doomsday launchers.

Yep, that's the only part i do not like about the mod. Sometimes you get 6-7 people with Doomsday launchers and it's basically game over =/

Happened to me once or twice, only way i survived those is thanks to my obsession with psychic lances. If you don't have any of those, the only way to survive is using 5-6 mortars and kill 1 Doomsday guy at a time.

I'd prefer more power armor/higher shooting and less Doomsday Launchers. Also because if you survive then you are basically immune to the next 4-5 raids with those

Off topic: Albion, are you liking Battletech? I'm undecided if whether to buy it, or wait for sales

Albion

Well that's what happens when you play a game with a random number generator. Sometimes the odd are in your favor sometimes they are not...
The way gun assignments work under the hood is by randomly assigning pawns a gun corresponding to the weaponTag it is allowed to have. My Heavy weapons guys get the tag HeavyGun which is (if I remember correctly) corresponding to the Minigun, Triple rocket launcher and Doomsday.
Heavies might be a bit more likely for Blue Moon raids than normal pirate raids though, so there is a somewhat higher chance of Doomsdays. I personally recommend training some dogs and sending them into the frey. They soak up those rockets quite well.
What I'm trying to say here: Random chance is a funny thing and can lead to utter destruction of your colony.

Creating a health boost might mitigate that problem though because once I implemented it I can reduce the number of raiders which automatically reduces the chance for Doomsday launchers.
By the way: When I'm talking about a "health boost" I technically mean some kind of health modification that specifically increases manipulation, sight and maybe conciousness. Maybe even shooting accuracy and the like. I didn't look into the possibilities to closely until now. The actual health (hp) will be unaffected.
The boost will also definitely be temporary and will go away after maybe a day so you won't be able to recruit a super awesome pawn.

Regarding the offtopic:
Do I like Battletech? Lets put it this way: There are only 2 games that actually managed to capture my interest enough to completly halt production of this mod. Other than Rimworld itself that is. One was Heatsignature (which I highly recommend), the other is Battletech.
I have to note though that I technically already got Battletech on sale because I kickstarted it and therefore got it for like 25$.
If you got the money to spare and don't have anything else awesome to play right now (other than Rimworld using my mod that is  ;) ) then I can recommend getting it now. If you're a student and can wait a bit I recommend waiting for a sale. Maybe play Shadowrun returns or Shadowrun Hong Kong which was created by the same team and is probably rather cheap by now. Or try the before mentioned Heatsignature.
To be honest I enjoy Battletech quite a lot but I'll probably only do one playthough and be done with it afterwards. Proceed at your own discreation.

Canute

After you finished your playthrough, you don't plan to create a new Rimworld Mechwarrior faction, equiped with BattleMechs ? :-)

Albion

Quote from: Canute on May 02, 2018, 04:46:35 AM
After you finished your playthrough, you don't plan to create a new Rimworld Mechwarrior faction, equiped with BattleMechs ? :-)
Unfortunately I don't. Implementing something like Battlemechs would be doable but even one would probably flatten any vanilla colony.

However I plan to create a new spacer raid which only drops down in drop pods or come with a simultaneous solar flare to shut down turrets.
Those might come with better laser weapons that self-destruct if they get dropped.

Umbreon117

Quote from: Albion on May 02, 2018, 04:57:40 AM
Quote from: Canute on May 02, 2018, 04:46:35 AM
Unfortunately I don't. Implementing something like Battlemechs would be doable but even one would probably flatten any vanilla colony.
What about them only coming when you have so much wealth that you are pretty much guaranteed to have the ability to make doomsday's and triples? As well as other explosive and emp weapons?

And you don't have to make it those specific battlemechs, they can just be inspired. You can also make your own, smaller battlemechs that only have 1 or 2 guns that a pawn could carry.
I'll shoot your colonists...After a long nap.