[1.3.0] Hospitality

Started by Orion, March 13, 2015, 11:19:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

serfis

hey Orion!
Nice mod man :)
I have an idea/suggestion for the mod regarding faction leaders. Currently, when a faction leader dies and gets replaced it doesnt actually have any other effect (that im aware of) than a message. I was thinking it would be cool if your reputation with the faction changed based on how much are you liked by the new leader (if you have met them previously ofc), i think this would make reputations a little more dynamic and make the faction leader change event feel more "alive".
Dont really know how doable is this, but i thought i had to share the idea.

Flimflamshabam

Quote from: Orion on February 22, 2017, 03:12:42 AM
Attacking animals: This comes from a mod. I don't know which.
I can't think of what mod, the closest mod I have that comes to effecting animal behaviour is WishMaster's Smarter Food Selection and it should only be effecting colony tamed animals.

Quote from: Orion on February 22, 2017, 03:12:42 AM
Sold stuff: I can't track what you have sold them, only what they have bought themselves. I could turn off parting gifts entirely, but I do like it myself.
Can you keep track of the stuff they spawn in with? If you could you could limit parting gifts to what they come on to the map with.

AngleWyrm

I don't see a reason to eliminate re-gifting, especially where undesirable junk is concerned.

Recycle, Mend, Burn...There's already lots of ways to process garbage.
My 5-point rating system: Yay, Kay, Meh, Erm, Bleh

sefer

How would I go about getting the mod to work with Hygiene by Ling? Visitors don't bathe...which results in mental breakdowns, bad faction relations, and people always going nuts and killing each other. I use Hygiene by Ling that simply adds tubs and showers.

Do you think you could add a compatibility patch? I,ll dig into your files and see if I can figure out how you make prisoners bathe and then maybe I could do one... I'm not that great at it though.

faltonico

After a lot of testing, I haven't been able to pinpoint the reason for my game to be in the state it is, so, I decided to play like that and not start a new colony until i know what is going on. So, I ended up updating your mod...
Looking good so far, thanks!

On a side note, wild animals attacking guests might be related to the "Smarter Food Selection" mod, i have yet to confirm that though. Other people having this issue should post if they have that other mod enabled to see if it can be related.

arscis

Quote from: arscis on February 25, 2017, 05:27:25 PM
On a side note, wild animals attacking guests might be related to the "Smarter Food Selection" mod, i have yet to confirm that though. Other people having this issue should post if they have that other mod enabled to see if it can be related.

I also have "Smarter Food Selection"; having the same issue. I'll try starting a colony without it and see how it goes.

Sirsim

I don't know if this has to do with the mod but guests sleep way to much!
They go to sleep when rest rich 75-80% and to full rest again. As result they are more time sleeping that doing anything else. Like shopping let's say :D. Great mod, i play in Phoebe peaceful god mode just really enjoying to have income only from guests.

Edit: Free coffee didn't solve the issue, making noise in the guest room either.
True self and happiness lies in the space between two thoughts.

arscis

After some light testing it does seem like wild animals attacking guests is caused by "Smarter Food Selection"

Jstank

Quote from: Jstank on February 13, 2017, 06:52:52 PM
[..]get a grenade and throw it 'around the area' of one of the guests. [..] get a +10 rep from the faction... and you get to keep the stuff.
I could make them become hostile if someone gets downed, but I don't think that's better. Any ideas how this could be fixed?

The problem really is that it is very tempting to have my guest 'accidentally' trip over a grenade because a party of 1 or 2 have a chance to possess a ridiculously good and expensive vancidium(advanced prostheses) spear (or something similar)! It is a weird thing that happens when this is used with other mods that these lonely travelers just happen to have REALLY EXPENSIVE THINGS LIKE OVER 12K OF SILVER ITEMS, and so they accidentally walk over a grenade when they visit my base... Opposies, sorry I'll be taking that THANKS FOR YOUR VISIT I HOPE YOU COME BACK SOON! like who the hell would make a spear out of vancidum any how, that is asking to be mugged.

I would suggest spawning them either without the spear, which seems to be the only really expensive item they can come with or find some way to limit what their equipment is made of, because if it is like a low count item like gold, or vancidium, poly whatever... then it certainly is worth the -5 faction penalty to steal it.

The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

- Bernard of Clairvaux

Orion

Quote from: Canute on February 22, 2017, 07:16:31 AM
There just came a suggestion in mind.
It summary when the visitors leave is sometimes a bit to fast away to read it proper.
Could you maybe enable a switch to create an event window like when visitors arrive ?
And when you create this window, maybe a summary about sold object with prices if you can keep track of the sales (but i don't think so).
I don't even entirely understand what you mean. But it sounds like work than it's worth...

Quote from: serfis on February 22, 2017, 07:43:52 AM
hey Orion!
Nice mod man :)
I have an idea/suggestion for the mod regarding faction leaders. Currently, when a faction leader dies and gets replaced it doesnt actually have any other effect (that im aware of) than a message. I was thinking it would be cool if your reputation with the faction changed based on how much are you liked by the new leader (if you have met them previously ofc), i think this would make reputations a little more dynamic and make the faction leader change event feel more "alive".
Dont really know how doable is this, but i thought i had to share the idea.
It's a good idea and in the past I've thought about doing something meaningful with the leaders (like special visits or so). I also thought about storing the faction relationship entirely with the leader, which could be fun too. You kill the leader of a hostile faction? Maybe the new one actually likes you and you have a new ally.
You recruit the leader of an allied faction or he happens to die? Maybe the new leader is not fond of you and you have a new enemy.
But it does involve work and it also does more than is in the scope of this mod (which is already quite large). So it sounds more like something for a new mod.

Quote from: Flimflamshabam on February 22, 2017, 11:02:24 AM
Can you keep track of the stuff they spawn in with? If you could you could limit parting gifts to what they come on to the map with.
I could, and I even tried. But I wasn't satisfied with how it worked. They're guests and not your trash can, even though they pay for your trash. Maybe that should be limited instead :P

Quote from: sefer on February 24, 2017, 10:48:54 AM
How would I go about getting the mod to work with Hygiene by Ling? Visitors don't bathe...which results in mental breakdowns, bad faction relations, and people always going nuts and killing each other. I use Hygiene by Ling that simply adds tubs and showers.

Do you think you could add a compatibility patch? I,ll dig into your files and see if I can figure out how you make prisoners bathe and then maybe I could do one... I'm not that great at it though.
I find compatibility patches very difficult to do. Especially since I don't like those extra mods you have to add on top - I'd rather want it to be dynamic and "just work". But right now I don't have the nerves to make this. It's on the list - but the list is long.

I guess best would be if I was in contact with Ling directly and we figure something out together.

@arscis & faltonico: Thanks for pinning it down! I'll mention the mod on the front page.

@Sirsim: Actually they like staying in bed real long, even when they're not sleeping. Maybe I should add that they plan sightseeing tours during their stay, like proper tourists. But most likely they'll just walk into a raid or something. Thing is, once their other needs are satisfied they'll just stay in bed.

Quote from: Jstank on February 27, 2017, 07:15:55 AM
I would suggest spawning them either without the spear, which seems to be the only really expensive item they can come with or find some way to limit what their equipment is made of, because if it is like a low count item like gold, or vancidium, poly whatever... then it certainly is worth the -5 faction penalty to steal it.
This is much harder done than said. In fact, the value of everything visitors spawn with is checked and capped - but for some strange reason those ridiculous unobtainium spears don't give the correct market value until the guests are on the map with it. I couldn't find a proper workaround yet. Maybe I could make it so that if you steal their holy gold spear of awesome, that they get super pissed (maybe it's a special artifact that they take on all their trips?). So you down the guy with the spear, they're instantly hostile. The spear was not meant for you - it's a token of their god!

pinguin42

I've had 2 people from different visitor groups starve to death, even though they had food in their inventory. Both of them were the traders that spawned with the group and both seemed broken on everything: wouldn't eat, wouldn't use joy items, they might have slept eventually from exhaustion. They don't seem to care either, the first time it happened I got a score of 100 and he died just outside my walls (I didn't even notice until I got the chief angered message and searched my map for a dead pawn). The second time I paid close attention and noticed the trader was just wandering around doing nothing, even though the guest area includes all the joy items, a fridge and 10+ beds. His mood was around major break risk, solely due to my colonist smooth talking him, his food, comfort and joy bars were at 0. At first I thought it might be due to Gourimet changing the meals and them spawning with a non-regular mealtype in their inventory (like hot cocoa, soup or tea), but I sold the second one fine meals and pemmican (should be unaffected by that mod), and he still refused to eat.

Can I change the load order to move Hospitality to the last spot on an active save? Could that change anything? I'm pretty sure it's near the bottom anyways.

Orion

Moving it around can sometimes help when you have a mod conflict, like now.
It seems odd that only the traders have the issue.

Don't make the assumption that mods don't change things that are already there. For example, to create certain guest behaviors I have to overload functions of all pawns - and that even includes animals and mechanoids. So these are all prone to conflicts when another mod tries to do something with the same functions.

And that's just a direct conflict (which mod gets to override the function?). But often it's more subtle. The functions may not conflict, but their results somewhere down the line do.

So with the information you've given I can't yet conclude anything. Would you share your console log / output_log?

LethalSalad

I've found this bug (Well, more of a slight mistake), where visitors buy the stuff they just sold to me (because they'll be dropped in the guest area). Usually even for WAY less than I bought it for.

Tanelorn

Regarding the friend requirement for recruiting

I find it impossible to ever recruit visitors due to the friend requirement. The game does not seem to track pawns in other factions and I >NEVER< get a return visitor. It's virtually impossible to reach the 3 or 4 friends level on a single visit and they don't seem to ever revisit. Meaning, I can never recruit visitors.

Please reconsider the requirements. Lower them, and also investigate if pawns actually visit more than once or if the game makes fresh pawns on every visit.

Thanks for a great mod!