[1.3.0] Hospitality

Started by Orion, March 13, 2015, 11:19:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry_Dicks

Would it be possible to lower the maximum visitors that come in a party? Sometimes I only want 3-4, just to focus on a few that I can keep up with, if possible. Also, are you supposed to ever get repeat visitors? I ask because, once my colony was around 20 people it became almost impossible to try and recruit any visitors with the amount of time they spent at the colony. I thought it would be cool if you had someone come by at another point later on, and you could pick up where you left off. I want to say I thought this was included in the mod, but that I had a few pawns whose names I recognized come by again, but they had no relations with any of my colonists. I'm not 100% sure on that last point, though.

Canute

You should stop to entertain every visitors and just concentrate at the one you like to recruit.
That free up you pawns.

Harry_Dicks

Quote from: Canute on February 01, 2018, 01:25:27 PM
You should stop to entertain every visitors and just concentrate at the one you like to recruit.
That free up you pawns.

C'mon, Canute, you don't think I am already doing that? Again, have some faith in me please. I feel like 90% of the time when you answer me, it is always with a basic answer. Of course everyone will forget something minor every now and then, but you always want to think that I have not tried any other solutions. I will usually only post something like this when I have ran out of other options to try, including editing the mod myself.

I have the default set to ignore all visitors, and I will only entertain and try to recruit the best one. However, once your colony population gets higher, the chance for successful recruit goes way down. So it doesn't matter if I only focus on one the whole time, I will never be able to recruit him because the chance is so low. That's why I think it would be cool if you could have the same person you were working on earlier, return at a later date, so that you may resume trying to recruit them.

EDIT: If the ability to resume trying to recruit a returning pawn were available, would the RuntimeGC Tool clear them out of the list of world pawns, when you are using those tools?

wwWraith

Quote from: Harry_Dicks on February 01, 2018, 01:09:18 PM
Would it be possible to lower the maximum visitors that come in a party?

It is in the mod's options.

Quote from: Harry_Dicks on February 01, 2018, 01:09:18 PM
Also, are you supposed to ever get repeat visitors?

I believe the answer is yes, there is some probability to get a visitor from the pool of the already existing pawns instead of spawning a new one, though it's not high. And of course if that pawn was deleted by any means (RuntimeGC probably may do it if they have no relations or other "considerable" reasons to keep), they won't spawn again. Probably you can workaround it with adding some relations by devtools.

Quote from: Harry_Dicks on February 01, 2018, 01:52:04 PM
However, once your colony population gets higher, the chance for successful recruit goes way down.

I'd say it's intended. Probably it depends on your storyteller's population thresholds, though I'm not sure (mb Hospitality has its own). I think you can banish your less useful colonists, send some of them in caravans or in cryptosleep if you want to bypass these limits. Or try to change or edit your storyteller.

Btw, I can't remember when I saw someone spawned as a relative to my colonists (or even some other person) last. Not sure if I saw them in B18 at all (though I started it already with a decent amount of mods). Adding relations with "hidden" pawns by EdB Prepare Carefully (though in a few attempts when I did it they turned out to be dead in game) or devtools works, but I don't get it on randomly spawned pawns (except for Sire for vampires). I'm starting to think that some mod(s) causing it, but I'm using nearly 200 by now and as there are no visible errors I don't think it's possible to find out the cause in a reasonable amount of time. After all, it still may be just a bad luck. So this thread might be not the best place to post about it, but if someone by a chance knows something about it, please tell me.
Think about it. Think around it. Perhaps you'll get some new good idea even if it would be completely different from my words.

Canute

Quote from: Harry_Dicks on February 01, 2018, 01:52:04 PM
Quote from: Canute on February 01, 2018, 01:25:27 PM
That free up you pawns.

C'mon, Canute, you don't think I am already doing that? Again, have some faith in me please. I feel like 90% of the time when you answer me, it is always with a basic answer. Of course everyone will forget something minor every now and then, but you always want to think that I have not tried any other solutions. I will usually only post something like this when I have ran out of other options to try, including editing the mod myself.

I have the default set to ignore all visitors, and I will only entertain and try to recruit the best one. However, once your colony population gets higher, the chance for successful recruit goes way down. So it doesn't matter if I only focus on one the whole time, I will never be able to recruit him because the chance is so low. That's why I think it would be cool if you could have the same person you were working on earlier, return at a later date, so that you may resume trying to recruit them.

Sorry to give you again a suggestion you allready thinked about it, but didn't mention at your request.
Normaly these basic thing, basic people oversee and to reminder them about these options mosttimes help them.

Harry_Dicks

Quote from: wwWraith on February 01, 2018, 02:49:57 PM
It is in the mod's options.

Correct, but it still wouldn't let me set the maximum visitors to lower than 8, I believe.

Quote from: wwWraith on February 01, 2018, 02:49:57 PM
I'd say it's intended. Probably it depends on your storyteller's population thresholds, though I'm not sure (mb Hospitality has its own). I think you can banish your less useful colonists, send some of them in caravans or in cryptosleep if you want to bypass these limits. Or try to change or edit your storyteller.

I figured it had something to do with population limits, but I wasn't sure if it was tied to your storytellers population thresholds, or if Hospitality has it's own internal algorithm. I know there are actual mods to increase your storyteller's population thresholds, but I did not try a specific save with and without these increased numbers. Unfortunately, I don't have any saves at the moment where my colony is that developed, let alone with the Hospitality mod running on them.

Quote from: Canute on February 01, 2018, 03:06:35 PM
Sorry to give you again a suggestion you allready thinked about it, but didn't mention at your request.
Normaly these basic thing, basic people oversee and to reminder them about these options mosttimes help them.

It's okay, you're trying to help. I think I'm more to blame, I can acknowledge that I can be an asshole at times :-\ This is probably more of an issue I've been having in real life that's spilling out over here. My apologies.

Orion

The limit on the lowest group size is by design. Smaller groups are easier to keep happy.

That it's harder to recruit visitors as your colony grows is by design too. It's independent of population intent and only linked to how many colonists you already have. If you want to boost it, having very high social skills on your recruiters and beautiful colonists will help. More (good) recruiters will help too, to a degree.

The same guests will come again later, although there is some chance involved. The garbage collection mod will break this, though.

Harry_Dicks

Quote from: Orion on February 02, 2018, 04:00:05 AM
The limit on the lowest group size is by design. Smaller groups are easier to keep happy.

The only way to change this would be in through the dlls though, correct? Would you be able to tell me how hard that would be to accomplish? Or would you ever consider in the future, possibly having an additional download that users could use to replace an assembly file with a lower maximum? I understand your reasoning behind this limit, but I am also trying to customize the game specifically to me, so is it too much to ask if I want to "cheat" the numbers a bit to my liking? Another issue can be the extra load. I don't think having the 8 extra pawns on the map is all that much, but when I am late game, every little bit can matter. If I have 25 colonists, 60-100 animals, some androids and bots, and possibly a trade caravan, well honestly I just don't really care to have 8 guests running around. For me, at least, I would really like to just be able to set the mod options to whatever I like. That's kinda the point, right? Either way, not trying to tell you how to produce your mod, just my unasked for two cents. :P

Even if you don't decide to let us set the limit lower, thank you for all of your hard work. It is very appreciated, and you have made a superb mod that's unique and brings interesting mechanics to the player to interact with.

Orion

It's not crazy difficult. You install any version of Microsoft Visual Studio, you open the sln file in the source folder of the mod, you open the file ModBaseHospitality in Visual Studio, you find line 61 "Maximum guest group size" and you change "AtLeast( 8 )" to "AtLeast(1)". Then you "build the solution", from the menu. It will spit out a new dll file somewhere (I'll leave finding it an exercise for the viewer). If you take that dll and replace the one in the mod subfolder "Assemblies", the changes will apply.

If performance is a concern to you, you should probably kill off some of your animals.

Harry_Dicks

Quote from: Orion on February 03, 2018, 04:20:11 AM
It's not crazy difficult. You install any version of Microsoft Visual Studio, you open the sln file in the source folder of the mod, you open the file ModBaseHospitality in Visual Studio, you find line 61 "Maximum guest group size" and you change "AtLeast( 8 )" to "AtLeast(1)". Then you "build the solution", from the menu. It will spit out a new dll file somewhere (I'll leave finding it an exercise for the viewer). If you take that dll and replace the one in the mod subfolder "Assemblies", the changes will apply.

Thank you, that's what I was looking for :) I have already downloaded VS and ILSpy, but I really have no idea what I'm doing. I was able to locate some custom thingClasses for some stuff I was looking at in other mods, but have no idea how to really "start" or "compile" a project, or whatever it is you call it. But with your instructions, I think I should be able to figure it out myself. Thank you, really! :)

Quote from: Orion on February 03, 2018, 04:20:11 AM
If performance is a concern to you, you should probably kill off some of your animals.

It's really werid, that when the game starts getting choppy like that, half of my colony animals suddenly want to turn into meat pies for some reason, happens every time! ::)

Kori

Hello Orion,

have you implemented the fix for chained guests already?
https://github.com/OrionFive/Hospitality/issues/104

I rescued some people from a crashed ship and noticed they are in restraints.
I'm using Prison Labor and the tooltip says that they are affected by prisoners chains.

Or is this intended and the fix was only to make it visible in their health tab?

Orion

I've implemented the fix that the mod author suggested.
The fix was for visitors. Rescued people are a different matter entirely and should probably be fixed by the prison labor mod.

Kori

Okay, I will ask in the Prison Labor thread, thanks!

SrGrafo

oh just saw this! thanks for the reply
btw I really love this mod, advertising it a bit by naming it on the comics, hope more people use it o7  :)

Orion

Uh, you're welcome, I guess!

Sure, I'm curious what you make, drop a link here :)
On Steam there are 180.000 subscribers to this mod, so I guess it's still being used... no idea how many of those are active players, though.