RimWorld is not Earth = not 24 hours/planet revolution

Started by Sion, April 10, 2014, 03:17:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sion

I have noised that all planets in RimWorld have a 24 hour day/night cycle just as Earth does, but the planets in RimWorld are definitely not Earth, so they should all have different length in the day/night cycle.

The length of any planets day/night cycle is the result of the planet rotating 1 revolution around itself, and all planet have different rotating speed and therefore different length of their day/night cycles.

(Don't confuse this with 1 revolution around the sun, that's 1 year.)
So many ideas... so little time...
Silence is the worst answer.

Tynan

Perhaps a powerful civilization shifted the planet's rotation to match the 24 hours that they preferred.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Sion

Darkfirephoenix

Or they selected the planet because it already had an Earth-like day-night cycle... Hrmm Could we get different planets too? I'm talking about Planets with longer/shorter cycles, maybe the planet is even an moon of some bigger planet (Gas-giant etc.)?

Cala13er

Quote from: Darkfirephoenix on April 10, 2014, 03:28:50 PM
Or they selected the planet because it already had an Earth-like day-night cycle... Hrmm Could we get different planets too? I'm talking about Planets with longer/shorter cycles, maybe the planet is even an moon of some bigger planet (Gas-giant etc.)?

I like it!

Dr. Z

Building houses on a gas giant...challenge accepted  :D
Maybe one day there could be ice planets, or desert planets, or jungle planets...OR planets which don't have like 20 moons so that there is an eclipse every week... ???
Prasie the Squirrel!

Sion

I'm sorry to say it, but a human (with current RimWorld technology) wouldn't survive on a gas giant because the gravity and atmospheric pressure is so strong that it would crush the bones and everything in a human, (unless it have some kind of personal anti-gravity field, and some kind of pressurized exoskeleton, sucks if the batteries die tho... :P ).

The large gravity comes from the simple fact that there are a huge amount of mass at a relatively limited space, and the pressure is a result of the large distance of gas in between the surface and the top of the atmosphere.

You can do a experiment to test the pressure thing here at earth, by taking a can or something and suck out the air inside, the resulting crushed can has not been crushed by the suction, it has been crushed by the atmospheric pressure (and the absence of "counter-pressure" from the inside).

Another way to do it:
take a eg: a Cola can,
add a little water to the can,
put it on a stove and heat it until the water boils violently,
meanwhile prepare a container with cold water (ice cubes is good),
use pliers to pick up the hot can,
carefully empty out the remaining water,
put the can with the opening down in the cold water.

And that's what would happen to a human at eg: Jupiter.

The reason to why this don't happens to us here at earth, for once is because evolution (crushed human = no children), and we have the same pressure on the inside (lungs, intestines, and so on) this is also the reason to why you don't feel the pressure.

Darkfirephoenix

Ermm... Maybe didn't understand the sentence: "maybe the planet is even an moon of some bigger planet (Gas-giant etc.)?" ... Please take a look at the OFwich is telling you that I'm talking about an Planet, wich is a Moon OF an Gasgiant...

Sion

Quote from: Darkfirephoenix on April 11, 2014, 08:10:29 AM
Ermm... Maybe didn't understand the sentence: "maybe the planet is even an moon of some bigger planet (Gas-giant etc.)?" ... Please take a look at the OFwich is telling you that I'm talking about an Planet, wich is a Moon OF an Gasgiant...
Yes, you are right.

Quote from: Dr. Z on April 11, 2014, 05:48:33 AM
Building on a moon is possible and relatively cheap, building on a gas-giant is borderline impossible even with sci-fi technology.

Celthric Aysen

Quote from: Sion on April 11, 2014, 08:27:16 AM

Quote from: Darkfirephoenix on April 11, 2014, 08:10:29 AM
Yes, you are right.

Quote from: Dr. Z on April 11, 2014, 05:48:33 AM
Building on a moon is possible and relatively cheap, building on a gas-giant is borderline impossible even with sci-fi technology.
Its a si-fi game, everything is possible  :P
My DeviantART|E-Vehicles|Flebe's  Channel
"♫"Every people that i see i will never understand"♪"

Darkfirephoenix

Well an Gasgiant has no "ground" to build onto... But we could have Platforms/Citys StarWars like (damn I forgot the name of the City/Planet where Han got captured [and Lukes Hand cut off! :P ]).... But not from the start, or as an scenario, because I highly doubt that you would get stranded on an fully functional Gasgiant-Platform without someone or something taking care of it. It would take a good amount of power and tech to keep such a thing to "fall" into the Gasggiant! :P (and I see that Blackjack1000k has an Hong Meiling Picture... [or shall I call her China? TOUHOU!] ;) )

Celthric Aysen

Quote from: Darkfirephoenix on April 11, 2014, 09:09:13 AM
Well an Gasgiant has no "ground" to build onto... But we could have Platforms/Citys StarWars like (damn I forgot the name of the City/Planet where Han got captured [and Lukes Hand cut off! :P ]).... But not from the start, or as an scenario, because I highly doubt that you would get stranded on an fully functional Gasgiant-Platform without someone or something taking care of it. It would take a good amount of power and tech to keep such a thing to "fall" into the Gasggiant! :P (and I see that Blackjack1000k has an Hong Meiling Picture... [or shall I call her China? TOUHOU!] ;) )
TOUHOU!
Well since its a sci-fi, who knows there might be other minerals in other planets that is not included in the Periodic table of elements that can withstand the amount of heat coming from the sun directly.
Space is an infinite space that could hold infinite planet's, infinite minerals, and infinite Stars!
My DeviantART|E-Vehicles|Flebe's  Channel
"♫"Every people that i see i will never understand"♪"

Monkfish

A gas giant may have a rocky core, but it'll likely be surrounded by a sea of liquid gas owing to the immense pressures at that depth. It'll be impossible to land on it, any craft sent into the atmosphere would be crushed long before it gets that deep.

Anyway, as for day/night cycles, I'm not bothered. Some random variance would be nice though, but I guess that'll come if different world types are added (i.e. an ice planet would likely have faint sunlight and short days, whereas a scorched desert would have very intense sunlight and possibly longer days)
<insert witty signature here>

Sion

Quote from: Monkfish on April 11, 2014, 09:43:01 AM
Anyway, as for day/night cycles, I'm not bothered. Some random variance would be nice though, but I guess that'll come if different world types are added (i.e. an ice planet would likely have faint sunlight and short days, whereas a scorched desert would have very intense sunlight and possibly longer days)
The temperature of planets are depending on
(1) the distance from the sun,
(2) the type of sun, eg, a Brown Dwarf star are much colder than a Blue Hyper Giant.

Here are some star temperatures:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stellar_classification#Harvard_spectral_classification

Dr. Z

Wow Sion, you took me way to seriously, the thing with gas giants was actually a joke becaue there's NO GROUND TO BUILD ON like Darkfirephoenix said, I thought that would be obvious.
And I know what atmospheric pressure is. I'm not 12 -.-
Prasie the Squirrel!