huge animal sprites

Started by tiradimus, October 01, 2016, 05:08:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

milon

Good catch, mumo! That's interesting.  I have a couple stray thoughts which might be helpful.

Alpha 16 is on the horizon and I think there's some changes in how the graphics are processed. That may or may not help with this issue.

My other thought is try (temporarily) setting your system language to English and run RimWorld. I've seen other inexplicable and bizarre issues happen as a result of differing system languages and the way numbers are represented in them.

mumo

Indeed, changing my system language to English did the trick - graphics are fine now. Thanks a lot, milon!
I did a little reading (e.g. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Locale) - system language and localization seem to be way more potent than I've thought. Interesting topic.

So, to summarize this whole thing:
Running into trouble with your graphics and your system language is not English? Set to English and restart session.

Thank you all for reading and especially many thanks to milon and nccvoyager for bothering to help :)

skullywag

So what happens if you change back to German and restart?
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

mumo

Having changed the system language to German, the original problem reoccurs and there's once again the error in the log file (→ LogFile_DE.txt):
Importing game controller configs
UnloadTime: 1.941000 ms
Unexpected culture: de-DE. Resetting to en-US.

As soon as I'm back to English, graphics run smoothly (→ LogFile_EN.txt).
Importing game controller configs
UnloadTime: 1.795000 ms

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]

milon

Moving this to Bugs.  I'm not sure if this is a Unity or RimWorld problem, but if it can be detected/fixed within RimWorld that's much faster than waiting on a Unity fix...

mumo

Konscience

I'm not sure tiradimus ever went back to this topic after being accused of piracy...

nccvoyager

Eh heh.
Well, I hadn't meant it as an accusation; only a query.

In any case, this development regarding system localization being the cause is indeed strange.
Now that I think about it, I have seen similar errors in log files before.
I always just ignored it.

Great work mumo, thank you for taking the time to test that out.
:D

ison