Expanded Colonists Work Management

Started by Hoshizora, May 04, 2015, 03:59:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoshizora

So, I'm sitting at 103 colonists here in my Jungle Fortress... I need a way to sort these guys! Like, desperately!

This is perhaps the #1 most important improvement to the game that I can think of right now. Most important my own interests, anyway.

In the Work tab of the Overview menu, shift everything down and add another layer of tabs just below the top tabs. From left to right, label them as: Default, Favorites, Custom 1, Custom 2, Custom 3, Custom 4... as many as will comfortably fit in the horizontal space. Allow us to right-click and rename each tab as we see fit.

The Default tab will appear as the work tab is now.

The Favorites tab will be the same, but will allow us to right-click a colonist's name and star him as a favorite. Favorites will stay at the top of the list. In this tab, you will also be able to click-drag colonists up and down on the list, within but not between the favorite and non-favorites section.

Each custom tab will let us sort the colonists in descending or ascending order according to what we want. Each page will look mostly like the default work tab, but with a bit of extra space at the top for some drop-down lists. The name column and each work column will have small up and down arrows above them so we can sort our colonists by how well they can do a job, or simply by their alphabetical name.

The drop-down lists at the top would swap out the work columns entirely to let us view details about our colonists completely different from their work priorities, such as: movement speed (who should get this new bionic leg?), medical status (who needs a new eye?), traits (where are my prosthophiles?), clothing status (do I need to order up more cowboy hats?), total shooting accuracy (taking into account raw skill, eye cataracts, bionic arms, etc, everything that affects the shot before weapon/weather/cover is taken into affect), and anything else that this forum can think of.

On of the main selling points of this game is management, and I think this would be an excellent tool to help the player manage colonists better!

Hoshizora

In hindsight, it might be better to separate the medical and shooting aspects of my above post into completely separate menus. A medical menu that lists all of the body parts you have in stockpiles and all of your colonists' needs for body parts, and war menu that lists all of the weapons you have and lists your colonists' overall shooting capacity.'

Or... why not have both?