How do you handle siege ?

Started by narf03, December 26, 2015, 09:33:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

narf03

As per title, I need to know if there is a better way to handle them.

Most of the time, i dont want to fight them with my man, its perfectly ok losing a turret or 2, but not losing a man, or getting some permanent damage, like losing a hand or eye. I go destroy the enemy mortar when enemies are sleeping, then rush back to my base and let my turrets finish them off, so ill need to take some beating until they get tired and sleep.

Are there any better method to handle it without risking lives of my man ?

A Friend

Aside from dev tool -> kill and mods. Solutions still require a small amount of risks.

I personally bombard them with fire mortars while I send sniper teams to pick them off one by one. While another group of armored CQC guys with shields or assault rifles stand by just in case.
"For you, the day Randy graced your colony with a game-ending raid was the most memorable part of your game. But for Cassandra, it was Tuesday"

Squiggly lines you call drawings aka "My Deviantart page"

Shurp

Sneak up to their camp with one guy with a rocket launcher.  Then run like hell back to the base while they chase you.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

A Friend

Also waiting for them to sleep before slashing their throats is a tactic I always see people suggest. How do you guys put up with those mortar shells? With all the siege events I encountered, not one managed to fire a single shot.
"For you, the day Randy graced your colony with a game-ending raid was the most memorable part of your game. But for Cassandra, it was Tuesday"

Squiggly lines you call drawings aka "My Deviantart page"

Fruit loops

the sleeping guerrilla tactics A Friend mentioned are very viable. I usually send a shielded guy with a steel long sword or a long sword of some type and have him kill a few people and then ditch. the reason I use this tactic is for the fact, you can 1 shot or 2-3 shot most people with a long sword.

or you could send a sniper, and order him to attack the mortars, since once the mortars are destroyed the siege party members attack.
The guy who suggested the mood debuff for harvesting prisoner organs.

N0xiety

Having a doomsday rocket launcher stashed for the siege event is great. 1 of these bad boys can obliterate the enemy with little to no risk :)

narf03

forgot to mention, im playing the highest difficulty, i dont even have proper weapon yet. if i had such powerful weapon at my disposal, i would not even need to wait, just go attack them when they are constructing their base should be the best option.

Regret

Place Incendiary traps at night.you just need a few, you might as well slip a few throats while you're there.

rmurdocci

I dispatch a sniper-assault squad as soon as the siege is announced. Stay at max range picking them up one by one with the snipers. When their losses trigger the direct attack, stay put and with the help of the assault squad keep firing. Enemies rarely even reach the sniper-assault squad before they start fleeing.

With this strategy, I haven't faced a mortar in quite some time.

jzero

i think they used to eventually run out of mortar shells and food then go insane.But now they get orbital drops so i just send in either one or two people with long swords to kill them. Sometimes if they are too far away and i am safely tucked into the mountain and have all mountain roofs i will just ignore them until some visitors/other raid comes and handles it for me.
Actual cannibal shia labeouf.

Veneke

Sieges get periodically resupplied with shells (food as well?) since an update or two back. So unfortunately waiting them out is no longer an option.

Typically I find that micromanaging a sniper or two can usually cause enough damage to force an assault. Just make sure to take out or avoid their sniper(s).

b0rsuk

Snipers - either with Sniper Rifle, or Survival Rifle, work well. Surprisingly, Survival Rifle dishes out more damage (and is easier to hit) if enemies don't have much range. If a few enemies can match your range, try bringing a decoy colonist with personal shield, helmet, kevlar vest.

Saikar

Yeah, the AI during sieges is a bit weird. They seem to want to stay close to their base camp and are reluctant to engage. If you take a small, well-trained team of 3-4 pawns equipped with long range weapons (hunting rifles are really good for this) they can usually pick off enemy pawns on the outskirts of the camp before the enemy can fire back and without attracting the wrath of the whole enemy base.

Other than that, fight fire with fire. If you have a few mortars yourself, you can get off a nice-sized volley before the enemy siege camp is even established. The size of the camp and the wandering habits of the enemies counteract the poor accuracy of your mortars, making you much more likely to hit something of value. The biggest priority target is actually the enemy's shells - they explode immediately if hit, and that deprives the enemy of their own shells to fire at you should it come to that.

Murdo

That's interesting, I'm going to have to experiment with this (since I usually tackle sieges before the first mortar is up). How quickly do their supplies get replenished, is it a matter of 30-60 seconds? I'm wondering if there's any value to "farming" them while they sleep, but it's not worth it for 10-20 food packages and shells per day.

Obviously only viable if you're in a mountain base that's self-contained or during a no-grow period, and can take the daytime shelling with minimal damage.

Veneke

Quote from: Murdo on December 30, 2015, 12:01:53 PMHow quickly do their supplies get replenished, is it a matter of 30-60 seconds?

It's only happened to me once (and then only by accident - a shell hit and destroyed their ammunition but not their mortars), but in that instance it only replenished once the supply had been entirely exhausted. I don't think it's on any kind of timer.