Your Cheapest Ideas

Started by Tynan, October 09, 2013, 12:17:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

b0rsuk

Quote from: Jorlem on August 21, 2015, 01:29:39 AM
I would like to request the addition of a mirrored ship cryosleep casket.  The current access point for the cryosleep casket makes it very difficult to build a symmetrical escape ship.
Maybe not a separate mirrored structure, but a button to 'mirror' a blueprint ? Just like you have 'q' and 'e' (w?) to rotate, you could press something else to mirror.

zenfur

Quite cheap idea which would increase QoL of this game would be:

* "Remember buildings" brush
* "Forget buildings" brush
* Rebuild order
You could remember the current setting of your constructions (floors, walls, workbenches [possibly including bills], but not zones), overwrite old with new remember orders or manually forget zones.

Rebuild order creates building sites for everything that is possible (placeable). Possibly not all at once but partially and adds new ones as older are finished.

I very miss these as if I want to create a base which doesn't use only squares for its design (which are quite easy to rebuild), reconstructing after every raid is a pain. (I'm playing on extreme :( )

Cheap idea would be also brushes "Forbid" and "Unforbid".

Also cheap and interesting idea would be special raid which can happen when some faction hates you a lot: multiple very small groups of enemies coming in few intervals from all angles around the map.

Another idea is to add ash on the ground when fire burns off which is ugly, slows down and cumulates similar to slow during burning. Can be cleaned by cleaners.

Also not difficult and imho good idea is to add interaction with rain and filth - make rain clear some random filthyness on the ground which aren't under roof. Cleaners should mainly clean bases, not blood on the ground after fending off invaders.

Yet another QoL change could be adding keyboard shortcut to toggle through your colonists, or actually any architect menu tabs.
Little posts, quality posts.

Notice me, senpaaiiiiiii!!!!

Florius

How about people that hate certain colors? I am working with carpets at the moment to boost the mood, because I already have had several times that they were going beserk because of low mood.

What I love as a small edition is that some people hate certain colors for example red, or blue, from the carpets and lamps. I would die laughing if one of my colonist went berserk and destroyed all the carpet because of his mood. Not sure if anyone else would like this though, but it would bring some variety in the moods.

kahlzun

Quote from: zenfur on August 21, 2015, 08:01:19 AMuld be adding keyboard shortcut to toggle through your colonists, or actually any architect menu tabs.

Pressing < or > cycles through your colonists in order.
Look for me on the KSP forums!
Rimworld. The game where getting a cannibal psychopath with bloodlust is a good thing.

zenfur

Quote from: kahlzun on August 21, 2015, 11:56:51 AM
Quote from: zenfur on August 21, 2015, 08:01:19 AMuld be adding keyboard shortcut to toggle through your colonists, or actually any architect menu tabs.

Pressing < or > cycles through your colonists in order.

Oh, great, thanks! Striking that one out.

kingtyris

Hay doesn't need to be refrigerated. I grew up on a farm, we bailed our own hay and stored it in a barn. All you need is to dry the grass and then keep it that way. Refrigerating hay just seems silly.

akiceabear

Perhaps make it so hay doesn't rot, but degrades faster if exposed to open air, and especially during rain?

absentminded

Mr.Cross

Quote from: absentminded on August 22, 2015, 03:35:12 AM
huskey-dogs

Huskey's are already apart o the game, Hell I have one right now on my game.
Claims to know most things.

YaShum

1) I watched the shadow of the game and realized that the game is "the east" is left and "north" below!
You made the world map for the Australians, or simply wanted to create a feeling of unusual planet?
I want to assure you that by the rules of cartography, on any planet, north to be on top, and east to the right.

p.s. Registration check guessing words with the most uncomfortable in the world!

zenfur

I have another cheap & easy and cool ideas. They are quite large in text, so I'll separate them. I've also boldified key words for TL;DR.

It's not very difficult to simulate day/night lenght basing on day of the month and starting position on the world map you chose. It would be very cool to experience polar nights/days and possibly light level changes differently during the year.

Let's also don't create a problem when time shifts and doesn't fit anymore for what you've set for given hours. So I'd say let's say they "adjust clocks every day" and sunrise is fixed at 4:30. or something near that, and the only things which change are day length and possibly (not neccesarily) light level. I'm sure there are ready formulas to count these matters for our planet basing on coordinates, so it could be easily translated for rimworld.

I think that player should be notified that polar day/night. begin/ends with mail-thingy info and it should be displayed whether on selected place of the world polar events occur.

Also pretty cheap would be adding some more diversified weather, like cloudy. (with some degree) which leads to lower light level and makes vegetation grow slower..

Or hurricane, which:

• devastates random plants, trees (possibly the more likely the more grown it is),
  • strong wind slows movement of everyone outside,
  • damages everything that is damaged the more damaged it is :P (because of weaker construction),
  • has low chance to significantly damage something man-made (and create the weak point of the construction),
  • it starts as a dry hurricane which increases fire agression/expansion threefold,
  • there are lightnings during this event,
  • will randomly destroy wind turbines,
  • wind turbines don't operate during hurricane,
  • will also destroy most of the outside apparel and raw food (suddenly, not gradually via deterioration system) - it is just carried away by the wind; weapons are too heavy,
  • won't damage animals
  • if your pawns stay outside, they may be hurt with things carried by the wind (this can be animated, but doesn't have to)
Hurricane should be quick (shouldn't last more than few hours) and players should be warned about incoming hurricane few hours in advance (you see the clouds) and it should get gradually darker up to 20-30% brightness level the closer the event is.

Right after hurricane comes ordinary rainy thunderstorm to extinguish raging fires.

Hurricane should be a rare event occurring around once per 1.5 year and not sooner than half a year from game start. It's the most likely to occur during summer, very rare during winter.

Also fitting to my suggested theme is meteorology station. which would act as a 3-day early warning system for any extreme weather events, and possibly also can display weather prognosis for tomorrow (either sunny, cloudy, thunderstorm...). Has to be researched.

Some also fitting ideas that aren't very cheap because of the need of adding new animations/mechanics would be earthquakes and tornadoes. Things I suggested above should use already existing mechanics. Correct me if I'm wrong.

What do you think? I wonder whether Tynan reads everything what is posted here :)

Alistaire

Make it so CompFacility can also choose which buildings IT can attach to so you don't have to rewrite each building just to add a single facility.

EDIT: I'm not sure if this is already possible, but it seems to be!

EDIT 2: It's possible according to the code, AND the code doesn't discriminate! You can totally build a Facility close to a potato to buff its Beauty! Oh boy!

Elixiar

Lightening gun. Extremely expensive, very accurate (short - medium range)

Abnormally long warmup meaning colonist must be protected while it charges. Best weapon vs Mechanoids.

Uses same graphic as thunderstorm weather.
"We didn't crash here by accident... something brought us down". - Anon Rimworld Colonist

re1wind

warning: I'm 68% asleep and i'll probably regret posting this when i wake up. i don't care.

---

Rice plants growing slower in mud and/or swanp tiles than they would grow in dirt, gravel, or lichen-covered soil always felt awkward.

Tweaking the terrain growth rates on a per-plant basis seems to be the optimal solution, probably not the cheapest.

--------

Grind dessicated corpses into bonemeal, which increases the yield/growth rate of the plant. single use. probably not cheap.

-------

Mating season for a specific animal type, lasting several days and making the male animals aggressive towards male colonists.

---

Seasonal migration of animals, lasting a few days. can cause animals not normally generated for the biome to spawn in large numbers, i.e. Tropical and borealis animals would be allowed to migrate through forested biomes.

---

Floral bloom - for a few days the plants in the area grow at an accelerated speed. Scares of much of the fauna

wildeaboutoscar

Can we get the option to hold down the arrow button in trading please? If you're selling 300 blocks or whatever then that's a lot of clicking.

Also noticed that colonists don't harvest crops automatically anymore.