How do you deal with mechanoids?

Started by Feniks, September 05, 2014, 12:20:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Feniks

My base is usually well protected and ai can deal with them when they assault my base but how do you deal with crashed ship when they just sit near it and chill out waiting for psychic dron to drive your base insane. I normally deal with them with mortars but they are so unreliable. I had occasions that my best team of 16 guys working shifts 24/7 on 8 mortars each of them shooting at least 8 and still managed to go insane before destroying it.

Goo Poni

While this is mod content I'm talking about, I used the Missile Launcher introduced in TTM to land bombs directly on top of the crashed ship part. Except I had already angered the mechanoids aboard with mortars and the Missile Launcher's impact marker deleted the ship part. Which meant the 30 odd Centipedes and equal measure of Scythers had nothing left to guard and left the range of the missile to attack the colony. Fun times were not had.

I haven't had much opportunity to interact with ship parts (I've only had the event like three times, twice were near the start of colonies so very few (singular centipedes or a couple scythers)), but if mechanoids do not respawn then it may be possible to send a single colonist out with an M-24 that's hopefully been acquired by that time with raids and trading. Awaken the machines and then irritate them with follow up shots so they engage the colonist. Then run that colonist back to base and hopefully into a killing field used to repel raids. Depending on whether they all agro or only the one that gets shot at will agro, this may be a feasible way to eliminate the machines then spend a day destroying the ship wreckage.

Bodog999

People always send colonists with M-24's not really the best choice, scythers have a higher range than M-24's and when your colonists can see them they can see you meaning they will shoot faster due to the faster aim and warmup time but they are also more accurate and do more damage per second. Mortaring the ship is a better option, but when you did a certain amount of damage to the ship part they will stage and come attack your colony. Mortaring with mortars and EMP mortars when an EMP hit the mechs they will be stunned for a long time. Another option is to use the Cannons and Turrets mod which allows you to build artillery, rocket launchers and flaks. 3/4 can shoot over mountains, walls and high objects. Or if you dont like accurate electronic "mortars" you can also try the gun emplacements mod which gives you some mannable turrets and an upgraded mortar with just a higher fire rate which means you have a higher chance of letting the mechs come to you instead that you need to come to them.

EscapeZeppelin

I tend to wall myself in really really well and hope that they starve to death before they get to me. Generally works out as long as you're hidden deep inside a mountain.

Rahjital

Quote from: Bodog999 on September 05, 2014, 03:30:03 PM
People always send colonists with M-24's not really the best choice, scythers have a higher range than M-24's and when your colonists can see them they can see you meaning they will shoot faster due to the faster aim and warmup time but they are also more accurate and do more damage per second.

I'm sorry, but you shouldn't be confusing people with wrong facts. M-24 is longer ranged (45 vs 37) and deals more damage per second (6.07 vs 5.59) and due to its range, it can fire sooner than scythers can. You are still right that having a sniper contest with scythers is likely to result in an empty colony, but it's because scythers are more durable than humans and because they are more accurate, not because they have better weapons. ;)

@Feniks: You could try building a few turrets in the open, lure the scythers to them and kill them with M-24s while the mechs are busy shooting your turrets. Centipedes should be easy enough to kill from a distance once this is done.

Feniks

Escape Zeplin what are you talking about? Mechanoids do not starve.

I will try assult with M-24 next time and lure them into my death box. I am also considering improving my mortars attack. As far as I understand they get more accurate the closer you get to enemy. I want to try to build few as close as possible to the ship and check if that's going to be more aaccurate and just sell them when operation is finished.

EscapeZeppelin

Quote from: Feniks on September 05, 2014, 04:37:54 PM
Escape Zeplin what are you talking about? Mechanoids do not starve./quote]

They used to, but looking through the forum it looks like that was a bug Tynan fixed. I guess that's what I get for being slow with downloading updates.

Goo Poni

People always send colonists with M-24's not really the best choice, scythers have a higher range than M-24's and when your colonists can see them they can see you meaning they will shoot faster due to the faster aim and warmup time but they are also more accurate and do more damage per second. Mortaring the ship is a better option, but when you did a certain amount of damage to the ship part they will stage and come attack your colony. Mortaring with mortars and EMP mortars when an EMP hit the mechs they will be stunned for a long time. Another option is to use the Cannons and Turrets mod which allows you to build artillery, rocket launchers and flaks. 3/4 can shoot over mountains, walls and high objects. Or if you dont like accurate electronic "mortars" you can also try the gun emplacements mod which gives you some mannable turrets and an upgraded mortar with just a higher fire rate which means you have a higher chance of letting the mechs come to you instead that you need to come to them.
I didn't say to have a standoff at range with them. I said to agro them with the long range of the M24 and retreat to the colony's killbox, bringing the scythers and centipedes with. If a killbox is built well enough, it should be able to bring down the hordes.

Bodog999

Quote from: Rahjital on September 05, 2014, 03:54:30 PM
People always send colonists with M-24's not really the best choice, scythers have a higher range than M-24's and when your colonists can see them they can see you meaning they will shoot faster due to the faster aim and warmup time but they are also more accurate and do more damage per second.

I'm sorry, but you shouldn't be confusing people with wrong facts. M-24 is longer ranged (45 vs 37) and deals more damage per second (6.07 vs 5.59) and due to its range, it can fire sooner than scythers can. You are still right that having a sniper contest with scythers is likely to result in an empty colony, but it's because scythers are more durable than humans and because they are more accurate, not because they have better weapons. ;)
Ow, well I havent actually looked at the stats of both guns but when I fight a scythers with a M-24 at the longest range the scyther always get more hits and are faster at shooting, now, I dont know if I'm just stupid with numbers :P or that you are wrong.

ChrisW

Use a team with R4 rifles. Get them just outside the visible range of the mechanoids, then hit them with an EMP mortar. They have a much bigger explosion radius and will render them stunned. Soon as that happens, overrun them.
If you can wait until it rains, do so. Rain does damage them.
Check out my Shooting Range in my Western Town to catch some ideas ;)

(Pics updated 3rd of Sept. 14)

Merry76

Quote from: ChrisW on September 06, 2014, 10:30:06 AM
Rain does damage them.

If this is true, you could torch a part of the map in the Rimworld way of doing a raindance (if there are enough fires, it will rain). The rain then damages the Mechanoids, and they wouldnt even agro because they cant know it was you that did the molotov-raindance *G*

Feels like cheating though.

BetaSpectre

Turrets for Sythers just like any raiders.

Micromanaging Assualt Rifles for Centipedes.

Mechs always attack in two waves fast ones first. Slow ones last.

Internal Turrets for general defense with colonist support. Cause enemies target the closest targets.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

Smasher5523

Its preety simple..

Just download Glitter Tech, get a Poopton of silver (maybe 5K, 1K an OP gun) and buy a few EMRG-1's or ABP1 Projectors (projectors are better) And just shoot them a few times, then you got yourself a few dead everything, as the Projector shoots lasers that explode and set fire to everything..

keylocke

not sure if they fixed this exploit yet.

but just build a wall around mech ship (the thicker the walls the better). but keep a single space for a single colonist inside that wall with the mech ship.. then just blast away.

the walls will prevent centipedes and scythers from spawning. so even a quick wooden wall about 1-3 layers thick is usually enough. (just prioritize several peeps for construction).

this allows even a single colonist to wreck mech ships with ease.

---------

as for mechs attacking the base.. you usually need a good killbox to survive.

OR

keep a single troop behind to repair the main door, but send your heavy hitters outside away from view. when the mechs starts attacking the door, send your EMP grenadiers in (1-2 shooting in alternate force-fire), then rush in your melee troops. this will usually corner them and prevent them from shooting back. make sure that each melee attacker will attack a different target. (which is so... hard to do on a large stack) (note: impossiboru)

IF you encounter a "doom stack" (gnomoria reference. lol) of mechs, it's better to just use mini-gunners at close range in tandem with the EMP grenadiers.. just make sure that the mechs are too distracted by the door before you make a move and make sure they don't get line of sight until you're close enough to throw your EMPs in..

if the mechs starts shooting back, you're usually screwed. (against a doomstack)
but as long as they're merilly humping that door, you're golden.

------------

edit : scratch that, maybe you shouldn't EMP them when they're busy humping the door.
it sometimes "resets" their AI and will try to attack you instead.

just go in heavy with the minigunners.

RawCode

single carefully controlled sniper with m24 can wipe ship part event solo in no time.

m24 can twoshot anything in current "body" system, can single shot if hit "brain" of mechanoid.

in most cases i use up to 3 snipers each controlled individually, snipers also work very good vs siege events, with "mad skillz" and "gunpoints" prebuild all over the map, you can resolve most events "solo".