Post Best Defense Systems/"Kill Boxes" Here!

Started by SubZeroBricks, September 03, 2014, 03:51:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How You Defend Your Base?

Turrets/Mortars
Colonists
Both

FMK

Quote from: SubZeroBricks on September 06, 2014, 05:52:40 PM
@FMK

I like the design but how do your colonists get in and out? Do you just let them take an age to walk on the sandbags?

On another note, thanks for voting people! :D
The current map that screenshot was taken from basically has interconnected mountains spanning the entire map, so I just pop out through holes every so often to grab stuff and then seal them up the instant any trouble shows up. Otherwise I'd just go out where you see the wooden door in the picture.

HatesYourFace

Quote from: ITypedThis on September 05, 2014, 10:35:01 PM
sandbags for the turret's protection

Turrets don't benefit from sandbags or any other source of cover for that matter, you can get rid of them.
If you have any 2 of the following 3 things: Time, Interest, or Ability; Head on over to the RimWorld wiki and help improve/update it! http://rimworldwiki.com

ITypedThis

Quote from: HatesYourFace on September 07, 2014, 01:27:00 PM

Turrets don't benefit from sandbags or any other source of cover for that matter, you can get rid of them.

Really? Huh. :o

Thanks for the heads-up!

TheGrover

Quote from: SubZeroBricks on September 07, 2014, 04:41:16 AM
Quote from: TheGrover on September 06, 2014, 09:12:07 PM
Quote from: SubZeroBricks on September 06, 2014, 05:52:40 PM
@FMK

I like the design but how do your colonists get in and out? Do you just let them take an age to walk on the sandbags?

On another note, thanks for voting people! :D

hm, yes, in my current fort, i made a nice winding sandbag path to make any raiders go loopy before they get to the killbox, but since my colonists need a way out to gather minerals etc, the raiders just bang on the blast door (Superior crafting mod) til a dopey colonist goes to repair the door and accidentally opens it... any possible solutions?

The only thing I could think of is having an open hole and when you get attacked you quickly send a guy to build

walls

Thats what i was going with, which works fine until someone goes to gather an item from outside during a siege... when the raiders are moving in to calmly gather my sand for sandbags, and go mad just as they bump into the colonist.

My nextfort is built in a mountain using very few foreign resources, so it should be less of an issue, except s tribe turned up before i finished sealing the permiter, and i found out the hard way that 3 of 5 colonists were incapable of violence. Still only lost one when they retreated... so now only 1 of 4 can actually fight...

RemingtonRyder

I thought that they limited the blast when a turret explodes.

Xerberus86

they minimize the blast when they explode and provide indirect cover as far as i know there is still a chance that the bullets hit the sandbag instead of the turret. the chance is by far not that high as by pawns but any chance is better than no chance.

EscapeZeppelin

Quote from: Xerberus86 on September 08, 2014, 08:52:51 AM
they minimize the blast when they explode and provide indirect cover as far as i know there is still a chance that the bullets hit the sandbag instead of the turret. the chance is by far not that high as by pawns but any chance is better than no chance.

I believe current understanding is that turrets gain no bonus from cover at all. If a bullet hits a sandbag in front of a turret it wouldn't have hit the turret anyway, it would have hit the bare ground. Walls definitely provide blast reduction, it may need to be tested regarding sandbags.

SubZeroBricks

Quote from: Xerberus86 on September 08, 2014, 08:52:51 AM
I believe current understanding is that turrets gain no bonus from cover at all. If a bullet hits a sandbag in front of a turret it wouldn't have hit the turret anyway, it would have hit the bare ground. Walls definitely provide blast reduction, it may need to be tested regarding sandbags.

This is how I understand it too.
"The only time you have too much fuel on board is when you are on fire."

milon

Sandbags do not limit blasts.  I learned that the hard way in Alpha 4, and I don't think it's changed since.

BetaSpectre

Better to put stone next to turrets these days.
TBH I didn't know you could do this until recently.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

SubZeroBricks

RemingtonRyder

Well, I dunno if it's the best defence system, but having the crematorium near the killzone is certainly more efficient. ;)

dices543

Quote from: marvinkosh on September 10, 2014, 09:23:58 PM
Well, I dunno if it's the best defence system, but having the crematorium near the killzone is certainly more efficient. ;)

How are those solar panels getting light under a roof  :o

SubZeroBricks

Quote from: dices543 on September 11, 2014, 06:27:33 PM
How are those solar panels getting light under a roof  :o

Looks like a 2x6 no roof zone for each panel to me

RemingtonRyder

Yep.  Tucked away inside, they're a bit less vulnerable to slash and burn tactics.

Also, updated the killbox screenshot.  As if the turrets weren't overkill enough, I've added embrasures and new walled-off sections.