equipable first aid kits and deployable IEDs/traps/grenades from pawn inventory

Started by keylocke, December 05, 2016, 12:46:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

keylocke

-if first aid kit is in pawn inventory and they have sufficient doctor skill, they can perform first aid on the spot. this allows them to dispense medicine to the sick or stop bleeding during combat.

-IEDs/traps/grenades/turrets can be crafted and placed in pawn inventory. there would be a button that can be pressed to deploy/throw items in pawn's inventory.

-pawn can only carry one of each type. ie : pawn can only carry a first aid kit or an IED/trap or a grenade/molotov/EMP or a rocket launcher/psychic lance or a shield (energy/physical), they can't have one of each. but number of items of carried is limited by pawn's carrying capacity. (maybe there will be backpacks in the future?)

-all of these are consumable items (except shields), and in some cases like traps/turrets, those can be deployed/undeployed when necessary.

-this gives much more tactical flexibility for pawns

schizmo

I really like the idea of doctors doing field medicine, I frequently keep my doctors out of combat because it seems to risky to keep them in danger, but the danger might be worthwhile if they can quickly stabilize my troopers to prevent excess bleeding. It shouldn't be a substitute for proper medical treatment, but if it could be used as a temporary solution to prevent blood loss during combat, it could be very useful. I've lost colonists on the way to the hospital, field medicine might have saved them.

faltonico

It would be useful for heart attacks too... one of my most beloved pawns didn't make it to the hospital =(

keylocke

actually there's a trick to do field medicine without first aid kits, but it's a bit longwinded.

you basically just drop a sleeping area on the ground and then turn it into a hospital bed. but the main problem is that your pawns don't usually bring medicines in their inventory. so you might need to scavenge medicine dropped by hostiles or you need to run back to base to get meds or you can keep a doctor in standby back in base so they're ready to grab a medicine and run fast to the makeshift hospital bed.

firstaid kits in comparison should be carried like meals/drugs on a pawn's inventory. so they always have medicine wherever they go and players don't need to create a makeshift hospital bed to operate.