Tough Cleopatra Classic
4 (6.2%)
Phoebe Friendly
9 (13.8%)
Randy Random
33 (50.8%)

Total Members Voted: 65

Bodog999

I like Phoebe I just want to see my colony grow and when it gets to boring I switch from storyteller.

Vastin

I just tried the 'challenging' classic (Cleopatra?) - I got off to an excellent start, with a very efficient colony layout, and all of my starting colonists and early recruits having excellent gun skills.

Didn't matter. Still got wiped out by giant waves by about day 15 or so, as the only weapons available were pistols and the starting enfield. I should have jammed research for blasting charges and immediately built an outer compound wall with trapped kill boxes.

Classical fortifications - I use a wall/bag/bag/wall/bag/bag/wall structure as my firing line, so that my soldiers have the benefits of both wall and sandbag cover - just don't serve when the attack waves are 3-1 and come every couple days. Casualties mount far too quickly to be recovered.

Even the turrets, which are reasonably effective in the early game, didn't make any real difference.

Stickle

I like Randy for mostly the same reasons that were already mentioned. After playing the others long enough they become predictable, and Randy shakes things up once in a while. Also, I don't like the hard population caps of most of the other storytellers, especially since they're so low. In part because I just think the game is more interesting with more than 10 colonists, and also because it just kills immersion for me. "Oh look, I have 10 colonists. That means I will never capture another, and no slave traders will ever show up, unless someone dies." It's too rigid, and I don't like that - I would much prefer diminishing returns that never quite reach 0.

City Builder

Phoebe for those times that I want a more relaxed game and then classic Cassandra if I want to go beyond a relaxed game.

I doubt that I'll ever desire to play on anything more difficult, but then again I said the same thing about never likely having the desire to play on anything more difficult than Prince level in the Civilization series and found eventually I needed to.