Barracks; what is it en what does it do?

Started by Eusebio, August 29, 2015, 02:28:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eusebio

I am not unfamiliar with the word Barracks, but what is the specific function for this in Rimworld? Is it meant for soldiers to train/sleep or is it just a bed room for multiple people? (or another option?)

Menuhin

Facade

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/barracks

n. often barracks
1. A building or group of buildings used to house military personnel.
2. A large, unadorned building used for temporary occupancy.

Goo Poni

Just means a bedroom with multiple beds in the context of Rimworld, as far as I know.

Rahjital

Yep, just a room housing multiple people. Dwarf Fortress calls this type of room "Dormitory" which I think is more accurate.

LouisTBR

It is basically a shared bedroom. Tynan created this room as an extra deterrent for trying to avoid building single rooms, as sleeping in a barracks gives a mood debuff.
Only in RimWorld is the phrase "31 Heavily-Armed Siegers are currently bombing your base" preferable to "50 manhunting squirrels are attacking your colony"

Jotun

Quote from: Louisthebadassrimworlder on September 28, 2015, 01:13:07 PM
It is basically a shared bedroom. Tynan created this room as an extra deterrent for trying to avoid building single rooms, as sleeping in a barracks gives a mood debuff.

Are you sure that's not sleeping in a bad barracks? Because you get a mood buff from being assigned to an impressive barracks, same as you do with being assigned to an impressive single room, but the buff is lower, obviously.

You still get the "shared bedroom" debuff but that's been in since before room types, and can be offset by making it a really nice shared room.

LaMizzy

Quote from: Jotun on September 28, 2015, 01:28:32 PM
Quote from: Louisthebadassrimworlder on September 28, 2015, 01:13:07 PM

Are you sure that's not sleeping in a bad barracks? Because you get a mood buff from being assigned to an impressive barracks, same as you do with being assigned to an impressive single room, but the buff is lower, obviously.

You still get the "shared bedroom" debuff but that's been in since before room types, and can be offset by making it a really nice shared room.

There is also stackable disturb sleep. That is why I always give them a single bedroom...even if its 1x3 room (works better than a barrack)