Automatic fire extinguisher

Started by Jan2607, August 25, 2015, 08:32:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jan2607

I don't know, if this idea was already posted, but I'd like to have an automatic fire extinguisher (like a fire sprinkler system) that you can build in rooms, where fires would cause high damage.

I had a big explosion in my power lines which caused a big fire in my crafting room. Every colonist who tried to extinguish the fire was set on fire and fell unconscious because of the high temperatures, so at least my whole colony was dead.
In this case a fire sprinkler system would help a lot.

A Friend

IMO

Could be quite OP if it would require nothing but power. I think a manual AoE fire extinguisher would be better. It still contains the large risk of fiery death but would enable you to fight large fires.
"For you, the day Randy graced your colony with a game-ending raid was the most memorable part of your game. But for Cassandra, it was Tuesday"

Squiggly lines you call drawings aka "My Deviantart page"

Jan2607

Or the fire sprinkler system needs a water reservoir, where rainwater is stored, so the requirements for this system are higher.

SpookCrow

Quote from: A Friend on August 25, 2015, 10:07:55 AM
IMO

Could be quite OP if it would require nothing but power. I think a manual AoE fire extinguisher would be better. It still contains the large risk of fiery death but would enable you to fight large fires.

Yeah that fire extinguisher sounds like a good idea, but it will probably have to be researched. What's gonna be in the fire extinguisher when its made? In real life there is Carbon dioxide (CO2) or nitrogen. How you gonna find Carbon dioxide and nitrogen in rimworld?
"Fear is the enemy within you that can lead to your demise." -Spook

Lonely Rogue

How do you build a ship with a nuclear reactor (is that the kind? I don't pay much attention) and cryosleep caskets, which don't even exist in real life? (the caskets)
Rimworld: A game where you're kept as entertainment for thousand year old robots, and you just don't know it yet.
Any mod requests?

Drakon22

Very few people realize this, but the water that comes out of sprinklers is very dirty. Maybe if activated, it makes a big mess? An alternative would be the possibility of water damage for objects, or maybe, it would be similar to halon gas, so any colonists in the room would asphyxiate. But this is a great idea. I too lost a massive colony to a fire, in my battery room. Everybody got infections and died in the hospital ( except for my prisoners, who starved to death, bled to death, or were beaten to death by their fellow prisoners)

Jan2607

Yeah, for a big colony you need a lot of power. For a lot of power you need a lot of batteries (or you use geothermal plants only, but I have not enough). A lot of batteries cause a big, big boom with a big, big fire (it feels, fire is more dangerous now, than it was a few alphas ago).
Fire fighting can cause bad wounds to the colonists. That's why I had this idea.

I'd be happy, if their would be an safer way to fight fires (I didn't find any mod on this. Maybe someone wants to make one?).

Drakon22

There is no mod I don't think, but I tend to agree that handhelds would be better until we get something like a sewage system, along with water pipes.

Mihsan

Quote from: Jan2607 on August 25, 2015, 08:32:22 AMI don't know, if this idea was already posted, but I'd like to have an automatic fire extinguisher (like a fire sprinkler system) that you can build in rooms, where fires would cause high damage.

For this to work right we need the whole new gameplay dimension: water supply. IMO it might be with us someday (why else do we have that rainfall setting?), but not soon.

P.S. and ProTip: remove roof if the room is on fire.
Pain, agony and mechanoids.

Toggle

Since water would short out the electronics, it's a no-go for sprinklers. I imagine the best solution might be a special switch that once pulled activates 'traps' linked to it, that cover the area that's on fire. It would add a layer of whatever comes out, making it dirty, and each has a limited time use + requires the lever to be pulled, but it's a good 'just in case' system. To off-set it the lever might have decent range and the extinguishing 'traps' might have a good radius, 4x4 seems good.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

Mihsan

Quote from: Z0MBIE2 on August 25, 2015, 11:23:30 PM
Since water would short out the electronics, it's a no-go for sprinklers.

Hey! But caused short circuits are half of the fun of having sprinklers.

Also all else that you wrote I can understand as "sprinklers w/o water". Is it right?
Pain, agony and mechanoids.

Mikhail Reign

Yeah I'd probably just turn the power off to the room before I turned the sprinklers on.....

Toggle

Quote from: Mihsan on August 26, 2015, 12:53:48 AM
Quote from: Z0MBIE2 on August 25, 2015, 11:23:30 PM
Since water would short out the electronics, it's a no-go for sprinklers.

Hey! But caused short circuits are half of the fun of having sprinklers.

Also all else that you wrote I can understand as "sprinklers w/o water". Is it right?

Yeah basically. Also, 'control room, press button to activate 1 use automatic fire extinguishers' for the rest of it in 1 sentence.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

StorymasterQ

What about chemical fire suppressants? Kills fire, and colonists too!
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

Bancheis

Quote from: StorymasterQ on August 26, 2015, 03:39:07 AM
What about chemical fire suppressants? Kills fire, and colonists too!
You mean like using Halon to suppress fire? I like it. I think it could work. Though it is not as dangerous to human beings as people think. Still, doesn't mean colonists would be able to reproduce something like that without the proper resources.

I think considering they would have some sort of system like this in a ship, it would make sense to be a high level research project. Perhaps even have a tiered system, where at first they use stored water which can short out electronics but has a range like lamps. The highest tier being Halon-esque in nature, while overexposure becomes toxic.