0.9.725 releasing imprisoned colonist = instant re-recruit (bug?)

Started by tommytom, February 23, 2015, 02:35:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tommytom

If anyone has a mental break, you can simply arrest and release. After doing this once, you can actually permanently do this without hassle (arrest and forget about it as it defaults to last option, which was to release).

Since their faction is "colony", they get released right back into your colony and only get -15 "was imprisoned".

I'd like to think this is a bug rather than a feature, because it seems too easy.
Also, I'd like to be able to get rid of problematic colonists rather than starve them out in prison or put them in cryo.

Would be interesting to see that one "psychopath, very neurotic, volatile" trait guy come back for revenge on you abandoning them. Maybe start a new faction for them like "the exiles".

Coenmcj

Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

tommytom

Quote from: Coenmcj on February 23, 2015, 03:35:40 PM
Woah. Nice catch.
Not really. Blitzkreigler (youtube let's player) did it in the A8 series, but it's still in A9. Considering it was public because of that video and not fixed, I'm half assuming this is a feature rather than a bug, but there currently isn't a way to "release" a colonist you don't want anymore. By design? If so, like I said, it may be better to have some negatives for getting rid of people, like a new hostile faction composed of them. Maybe not just your colonists (unless you go on a colonist releasing spree), but also some other "unwanted" guys all banding together to get justice against the people that abandonned them (hostile to every faction they have a member from).

Coenmcj

Still, looks a lot like unintended behaviour. I'll Mantis it.

tommytom

(from Mantis) Tynan says it's intended, balanced by the moodlet, but may rework it.

kingtyris

If you think about it, IRL when we release our prisoners we let them rejoin society.

But I would like to see a 'Banish' option added for certain colonists. Breaking every other day and making my other colonists waste resources keeping you alive makes me want you gone. And I don't know about founding their own colony, but I love the idea of the colonist swearing revenge and returning to kill his former colony mates later.

tommytom

Quote from: kingtyris on February 23, 2015, 04:22:23 PM
If you think about it, IRL when we release our prisoners we let them rejoin society.

But I would like to see a 'Banish' option added for certain colonists. Breaking every other day and making my other colonists waste resources keeping you alive makes me want you gone. And I don't know about founding their own colony, but I love the idea of the colonist swearing revenge and returning to kill his former colony mates later.
You can starve them out in prison, which, I think, doesn't give a bad moodlet or minor, but that's kinda breaking immersion and pretty harsh instead of just banishing. Albeit, just allowing to banish without repercussions is unbalanced. Maybe give the entire colony -15 moodlet for (colonist banished) or something, similar to selling prisoners, harvesting organs, or the death of a colonist.

Coenmcj

Just popped back online to see that, Curious.
Frankly, most of our prisoners are nicer than the colony, so the -15 moodlet really isn't of concern, their moods already super-inflated due to the warden/s and other factors.

Cimanyd

Quote from: Coenmcj on February 23, 2015, 05:45:31 PM
Just popped back online to see that, Curious.
Frankly, most of our prisoners are nicer than the colony, so the -15 moodlet really isn't of concern, their moods already super-inflated due to the warden/s and other factors.

(This is what I remember from A8, but I doubt it was shortened in A9...)

I thought the -15 lasted 10 days, much longer than "convinced by warden"? Meaning they'll be great for a few days, but after that they're at normal mood with the -15, so you'd have to either re-arrest them and keep trying normal recruitment, get them through about a week of -15 morale, or just let them break again.
Some sort of psychic wave has swept over the landscape. Your colonists are okay, but...
It seems many of the scythers in the area have been driven insane.

Tynan

Ok, bug is listed. Thanks for reporting. I'm gonna lock this just to get it out of the way (threads on this forum are locked when the bug is mantis'd or fixed).
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog